"Single carriageway with passing places" road type

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: "Single carriageway with passing places" road type

Postby clickmanf22 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm

I have exactly the same issue. I travel down some country roads that I know quite well, but Waze keeps trying to route me down single track roads. These are not "dirt roads" but that are an absolute last resort. I spent most of yesterday using these when I should not have been. There are not suitable for general traffic and other satnav programmes rarely route via them. There needs to be some sort of priority on these to use as little as possible. Sorry but I switched to Google yesterday.
clickmanf22

"Single carriageway with passing places" road type

Postby mikedapsych » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 am

Hi,

Over here in the UK, we have the quaint idea of two-way roads that are only a single carriageway wide but have passing places that allow traffic travelling in opposite directions to pass safely.

As this type of road makes up a large number of small, rural roads here in the UK, is it possible to add this road type to the list of available road types in the editor and prioritise it accordingly in the routing algorithms?

Currently, my only option is to label a road as a "two-way" road but this gives Waze the impression that two vehicles may safely travel in opposite directions simultaneously.

Many thanks,

Mike
mikedapsych

Postby mikedapsych » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 am

Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

Swan Lane nr. Bristol is the example that comes to mind:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces ... 0&t=h&z=17

It's a tarmac road but single carriageway, has many blind bends, mud often on the carriageway, school at one end etc. Unfortunately, the client seems to regard it as the perfect alternative to the Bristol ring road when travelling North to East around Bristol, hence my desire to designate it as "single carriageway with passing places" or similar. "Dirt track" seems a little draconian, it's just that most people would, I suspect, be much better served by another road.

Cheers,

Mike
mikedapsych

Postby Timbones » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 am

Do you have a specific example of this?

Waze will learn the speed of that road, and will take it into account when considering possible routes. It generally prefers to use major roads where possible.

If you feel that most vehicles should completely avoid using it, then 'Dirt Track' is an appropriate type to use. There's an option in the client to avoid these kinds of roads for less adventurous drivers. However, if the road is proper tarmac with passing places, it should probably remain 'Street'.

HQ is considering adding Vehicle Types to their app, so that large vehicles could be instructed to avoid single track roads.
Timbones(6) • UK Country Admin & Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Beta Editor and Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour Highlights v1.8 (Feb 2014)WME Route Tester
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby wickedlemon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29 am

We definitely need something like this. Either better road classification or vehicle options. Same thing - just different names.

I've just started using Waze as an alternative to buying a new dedicated satnav. It routed me down some awful single track road (Pilgrim's Way near Maidstone), covered in gravel with flooded parts. I may have saved a minute, but it took an hour the next day to wash all the crap off the car. I'm just glad I wasn't on my motorbike at the time. It was scary enough in the car.

Made me wonder whether there should be a personalised option of "Never route me down that road again, EVER" . Would be useful for rough neighbourhoods too :-)
wickedlemon

Postby woodvale » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:58 pm

wickedlemon wrote:We definitely need something like this. Either better road classification or vehicle options. Same thing - just different names.

+1. There are a lot of roads in South Wales that are single-track and should be avoided. There are some A-roads in Scotland that are single-track with passing places for some length, but they can't be avoided :)

wickedlemon wrote:Made me wonder whether there should be a personalised option of "Never route me down that road again, EVER" . Would be useful for rough neighbourhoods too :-)

:lol:
John Anstey
AM South London, Surrey, Sussex, Wessex, IoW, S Wales
Waze 3.7.8.0 on Galaxy S4 Android 4.4.2

Waze FAQ UK wiki UK Forum

woodvale

Return to Waze Map Editor