Map legend

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Map legend

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Erroneous1950 wrote:Try this link.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Waze_Symbols

Really? Posting in a 3-year old thread?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby erroneous1950 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:12 pm

erroneous1950

Postby Olmanrivah » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Getting back to the original post. The Wiki is nice, but, it needs to be expanded to include all the symbols that can be displayed. Not having a complete legend is a major flaw.
Olmanrivah

Postby jondrush » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:34 pm

I remember that discussion, but I didn't see it as a consensus. I continued to apply by road design.

I've been thinking about this a lot, because I don't like either solution. What we really need is a color code for highway designation and a display difference for highway design. Something like the pro maps do where the color stays the same as the design changes but they might add a lighter colored stripe, or two dark stripes on the border to indicate a divided highway or a multi-lane highway. That would involve a change on the programing part of Waze, but I think it would resolve the editing ambiguities quite nicely.

The conference would have to start with Waze support, I think.
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:24 pm

And then there was the recent discussion that ended with a few editors saying all US Hwys were Major and all State Hwys/Routes were Minor, except the portions where those met restricted access (on and off-ramps only) standards.

(Example US Hwy 26 runs from the Oregon coast through Portland and then out east. From the coast, it is a Major Hwy, but turns into a Freeway type in west Portland, then back to a Major in downtown, then back to a Freeway as it leaves Portland concurrent with I-84.)

I have since editing A LOT of Oregon highways to following this version of the road type standard. The entire length of US Hwy 101 in Oregon is a Major Hwy, even though most of it is 2-lane.

How to hold such a conference?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:11 pm

The convention we were using in the US was that anything that was a freeway, no matter what the route number got a freeway designation. Major or Minor highways were decided by road type, so US highways and state highways could be either. All three types get preference when zooming, so in that regard, applying the correct type based on road design is OK.

The new map key, IMHO, muddied the waters because there was no mention of road designation at all, and I see a huge overlap of major and minor highways based on the new descriptions.

Can we hold a summit between the active editors and the support crew at Waze and agree to revert to the old methods, or better yet, come up with something that is more cut and dried for the USA?
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:19 am

unwallflower wrote:
jondrush wrote:Ugh! That doesn't match what was in the Wiki before for the US. Watch the confusion begin.

No kidding! This is very different from what we have been doing. :shock:

Agreed! Now I'm confused.

In NW Ohio I was following the road type convention of route numbering defining the road type rather than the physical road defining the Waze road type. I thuoght I was following an established convention.

Thus all Interstates and limited access freeways were typed as Freeways. US highways were typed as Major Highways regardless if they were two lanes roads or mulilane divided highways. State Highways were typed as Minor Highwys, etc.

I believe this method would allow viewing routes better at various zoom levels too.

And the two descriptions for Service Roads do not seem to match within the Map Legend either.

And may I say i've never liked the definition for Service wRoad, in anything I've read to date. Just in case anyone else had similar feelings.

Otherwise this new Map Legend is very nice piece of work!

Now I need to go back and re-digest all the Wiki info and all the previous forum discussion to see how this all falls into place before I start to re-edit the highways in NW Ohio. I also want to compare the conventions used by all the other major printed and online map resources as I would think that we would want Waze users to feel comfortable and familiar using Waze.
GizmoGuy411
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby broadwayblues » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Actually, I was not correct saying that the number was in a box. It is just a number that floats around different areas of the map.
Yesterday, it was an 11 over a river, and random numbers over the fields and woods that I drive by everyday.
broadwayblues

Postby unwallflower » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Broadwayblues wrote:What about areas off the road that are a number with a box around it? I see these all over the map on my phone-and only on my phone.

I live in a rural area, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

They should be pointing to a road that is colored red or orange. Those are automatically generated traffic alerts, and the number is the average speed that traffic is travelling on that road right then.
unwallflower

Postby broadwayblues » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:42 pm

What about areas off the road that are a number with a box around it? I see these all over the map on my phone-and only on my phone.

I live in a rural area, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
broadwayblues

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor