Waze may have saved a life

Share initiatives and actions which made your community grow, from editor competitions to social media activities. Swap ideas and tips and help strengthen the global Waze community

Moderator: Unholy

Waze may have saved a life

Postby jdstutes » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Yesterday 1/20/2019 I was driving I-10 west in a construction zone through Orange, Texas when Waze reported there was an object in the road ahead. I slowed allowing the car to my right to pull ahead as I scanned my 360 degrees with heightened awareness of traffic, road conditions and road surface. Topping an overpass I spotted the object; it was a 6 foot high pile of blue and white tarp the size of a wadded circus tent that completely blocked the right hand lane of the highway. Since the area was under construction the shoulder was blocked with concrete barriers and there was no place for the traffic in the right hand lane to go except into the left lane with me. Since Waze had alerted me there was an object and I reduced speed there was enough room ahead of me for the vehicle to my right to change lanes and escape a head on plunge into the pile of tarp. Had Waze not warned me I would have been surprised by the tarp, I wouldn't have slowed and being even with the car to my right they would have had nowhere to go except into the object ... so ... as far as I'm concerned the Waze alert set factors in to motion averting a disaster and very possibly saved a life.
jdstutes

Re: Waze may have saved a life

Postby kahlcolimon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:58 pm

It's very pleasant to read this type of experience and to know that teamwork not only improves mobility times but also helps the well-being of drivers.
[ img ]
Kahl Colimon
Coordinador Waze Colombia
Partner Coordinator/Waze Local Champ/Country Manager
App Beta Leader/WME Beta Tester

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
kahlcolimon
Coordinators
Coordinators

Re: Waze may have saved a life

Postby dfw_gis » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:20 pm

Thank you for sharing this story jdstutes! It truly shows the power of the community of users and the work of editors to make this app and experience as amazing as it is. Safe travels!
dfw_gis(5)
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

Multi-State-Manager-Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma
Area Manager-Kenai Peninsula Alaska
dfw_gis
State Manager
State Manager

Return to The best community success stories!