Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Share initiatives and actions which made your community grow, from editor competitions to social media activities. Swap ideas and tips and help strengthen the global Waze community

Mexican Highways

Post by edsonajj
So, the most recent (29/01/2014) newsletter mentions the effort we have made in México to improve Waze routing through highways. I'll share just a bit more.

I don't know about other country's experience but our highways where just useless on Waze… I once had a 14 hour route suggested for a trip that should take about 9 hours, so you can see how big the problem was.
In response to this and to the enthusiasm to have big editing projects we decided to have a push for better highway mapping.

So far the main focus has been on the 14 main highway links as identified by the national government based on vehicle flows.
Corredores Carreteros.png
(192.34 KiB) Downloaded 6973 times
Based on personal testing (admittedly nothing scientifically rigorous) we now route correctly in between 70% and 80% of those corridors so I would say that we have had a big improvement so far.
Some of the other local champs are in the process of creating a wiki article with a list of the segments covered and the ones still in need of work so that we can have better tracking of the process.

One of the happy results of the project has been that people have now liked working with highways and are starting to give attention to their local and state highways. Giving promotion to that kind of work will probably be stage two for the project and we hope that it will be an incentive for even more editors to join in.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:5448074

Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by sketch
This is very good! I think we did something similar with US interstates in early days.

Indeed, it reminds me about my first days with Waze, just after the iOS launch. Just me at the time, so it was on a much smaller scale, of course! :) Routing didn't work at all, so I focused on the main roads and the highways, and it made a huge difference. Plenty of time to work on the details after that, but the most important legwork is done.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by usa_esu9r5bj
Thanks!
usa_esu9r5bj
Send a message