Newbie screwed the map!

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Re: Newbie screwed the map!

Postby iainhouse » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:17 am

"Automatic (1)" means the road is locked at 1 (yes, I know that really means "unlocked"!) and has not been set as such by manual editing.

However, automatic locking is a process that needs to be turned on by country. If it hasn't been turned on for Ireland, then any unlocked road will say "Automatic (1)". It's a bit misleading - it doesn't mean that automatic locking is turned on.

We had AL turned on for the UK a few months ago. Until it went active, all our L1-locked roads said that as well. We requested AL to have a maximum lock level of 3 - so no road would be locked above that level. Although we're still in our "trial" period, it seems to be working well so far. There are plenty of primary streets and even normal streets that have unexpectedly been automatically locked - but in every case, I cannot disagree with the suggestion that they have enough traffic to justify it.

Our greatest worry was that we would be unable to downlock AL segments - but by the time it went live, they could be downlocked like any other segment.

If you feel you have enough Wazers to provide the data, I would probably recommend looking at AL - particularly if you decide to implement a locking policy. It's a great tool for automatically protecting routes that genuinely deserve it.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby dilallio » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:04 pm

I've just noticed that someone has removed 2 major junctions in Galway and inserted roundabouts.
Is there a way to search what other edits this person has done?
Thanks,
John
dilallio

Postby dilallio » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:09 pm

It looks like this user is assuming that if the maps do not agree with the aerial photo's, that the maps are out of date, and not the photos.
Is there a way to email or contact them? - As they are already a level 2 editor, I'm guessing that they are trying to update as much as possible to gain points.
dilallio

Postby davidg666 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi John,
dilallio wrote:I've just noticed that someone has removed 2 major junctions in Galway and inserted roundabouts.
Is there a way to search what other edits this person has done?

How annoying! (and worse: bad for Waze users). They should at least have looked at the GPS tracks, and, if they didn't have local knowledge, they should have asked the most-recent editor why the junction doesn't match the satellite images.

Anyway, there's no straightforward way of finding all their previous edits, but I use the WME Colour Highlights extension for highlighting various things; you can use it to highlight all road segments that were last edited by a particular user. (I often have it set to show all road segments edited by anybody in the last 3 days, so I can see what changes are being made in the areas I keep an eye on). This can only highlight road segments you can see in the editor window, so you have to manually pan around to search a wide area.

dilallio wrote:It looks like this user is assuming that if the maps do not agree with the aerial photo's, that the maps are out of date, and not the photos.
Is there a way to email or contact them? - As they are already a level 2 editor, I'm guessing that they are trying to update as much as possible to gain points.

Send them a PM on the forum. They may not respond (but in my opinion, all editors _should_ respond to PMs. Sadly, some don't bother...)

Their forum profile page may have a link to email them too, but only if they have that set up.

Finally, I assume you're going to reverse their edits. You might want to lock them at L3 or higher to stop this happening again. (I prefer to only lock things when absolutely necessary, but very complicated junctions or roads that are set up a certain way that isn't immediately obvious to other editors are good candidates for locking).

Speaking of locking, there's a thread from a few weeks ago here in the Ireland forum about a potential locking policy for Ireland. You might want to have a look and contribute your opinion.

Finally (again...) do you need any help fixing up these changes?

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby dilallio » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks David,
I'll see if I can do it later. I've been inactive for too long!
One of the junctions (Briarhill) had a mapcat bowtie - It took me ages to fine tune it so that wazers weren't getting a turn right followed be a turn left when going straight on.

I've sent a helpful PM to the other user but they have no email address or forum posts, so hopefully they will get it.

Thanks again,
John
dilallio

Postby davidg666 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:55 pm

dilallio wrote:I've sent a helpful PM to the other user but they have no email address or forum posts, so hopefully they will get it.

You can tell whether they've read it or not by whether it stays in your outbox or not - it only moves from your outbox once it's been read.

I like to think the best of people, so I hope it was just a well-meaning but somewhat foolish new editor (although you mentioned they're a level 2 editor) - however what they did was pretty daft. I looked at the former roundabouts in Galway and I think I saw the changes they'd made - it was nearly a month ago! Mad... At least they don't seem to have made many other edits (although I did see a car park road added near another roundabout whose type was Street rather than parking lot road, so users could be routed via the car park past the roundabout.)

I also noted that these new roundabouts were of type Street, not major or minor highway - which means Waze will be less likely to route users via these roundabouts, even though they're supposed to be part of these major roads.

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Previous

Return to Ireland