Locking policy for roads in Ireland

Post by davidg666
'morning everybody,

After a recent editing incident on the map around the N40 in Cork (see this thread discussing it) it has been suggested that we do what quite a number of other countries have done and start a locking policy to protect high-value roads from accidental or malicious edits by inexperienced editors. (often these editors are well-meaning, but they may break roads and routing without realising the effect they have - and it's not unheard-of for people to deliberately damage roads. It doesn't help that sometimes the satellite imagery is out of date and some editors may change the road layout to match what they see on the satellite without realising that some junctions or roads may have changed a lot since the satellite image was taken).

In the past, I've tried to avoid locking roads as much as possible and have only locked roads that form part of a very complicated junction that took a lot of work to get working properly, or that have been repeatedly broken by other well-meaning editors. We don't want to discourage good editors but we do want to make sure routing works as well as possible and to stop the map from being broken.

This post is to start a discussion on what kind of locking policy we want; I encourage all editors to join the discussion. I would suggest giving the most-mature highest-value roads higher locks, but would also suggest avoiding locks (or just using low locks) in areas where a lot of mapping is still needed. We only have two active L5 editors, a decent handful of L3 area managers, and quite a few L2 editors - and obviously anybody can be an L1 editor as soon as they've started to use Waze.

Here's my opening suggestion for lock levels:

All motorways everywhere: L4

In near-complete areas (including but not limited to Dublin and Cork):

N-roads that are dual carriageways: L3
N-roads that are not dual carriageways: L2
Urban R-roads: L2

In areas that still need a lot of mapping:

N-roads that are dual carriageways: L2
Major R-roads that are the only main road in the area: L2 but only if complete and all side roads are attached

These numbers are relatively arbitrary, so feel free to propose alternatives. Obviously any road can be given a higher lock if there's a good reason for it.

Whatever locking policy we come up with, we should encourage all editors to post to the forum to request an unlock or update, and when we see new roads created by new editors that can't be junctioned with existing roads because of locks, we should welcome them and explain what they need to do to create the necessary junctions.

Now, over to the floor. Once we've got a consensus we can put it on the Ireland wiki page so we'll have something to refer to.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
helvete666 wrote:Those who are willing to give a good reason why the lock should be lowered should feel that they can ask. Once the edits are done then the editor can come back to the same thread and have the lock put back.
Yep - that's the standard around the world. Some countries have their own unlocking forums, and others share a single generic forum. I imagine our request rate would be low enough that we could use this forum.
helvete666 wrote:Can the lock system be used for other items on the map too? And could we request that lock be increased on other areas? Parks garages etc etc?
Yes - places (what used to be called landmarks) can be locked too, just like road segments. We haven't locked that many in the past, except for chunks of sea. About a year ago, somebody deleted most of the Irish sea, which was a little inconvenient, because it takes a long time to create and adjust large complicated water landmarks like bits of sea, lakes and rivers.

There are some interesting changes coming for places - for starters, Waze should start using point places for searching a lot more. On top of that, I think there's a feature coming that lets normal Waze users (not just editors) submit updates (and maybe new places; I'm not sure) directly from their phone, and then these changes will show up in the editor (just like URs) where editors can confirm them. This should be useful for getting a lot of businesses and similar entities added to the map and then kept up to date.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by helvete666
After an incident myself with messing with a road I agree with you 100% locking as much as it might seem unfair and ultimately might turn off some new editors would save the maps from a disastrous edits.
Those who are willing to give a good reason why the lock should be lowered should feel that they can ask. Once the edits are done then the editor can come back to the same thread and have the lock put back.

Can the lock system be used for other items on the map too? And could we request that lock be increased on other areas? Parks garages etc etc?
helvete666
Send a message

Post by helvete666
A sticky for requesting on this forum would probably work best
helvete666
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
davidg666 wrote:There are some interesting changes coming for places - for starters, Waze should start using point places for searching a lot more. On top of that, I think there's a feature coming that lets normal Waze users (not just editors) submit updates (and maybe new places; I'm not sure) directly from their phone, and then these changes will show up in the editor (just like URs) where editors can confirm them. This should be useful for getting a lot of businesses and similar entities added to the map and then kept up to date.
Yup

Now for Policy, I'd simplify the 'near complete areas' bit and lock all N-roads to L3, if correct and complete. That is all.

Pip

[edited as I was being simple myself]
seriousarsonist
Send a message
Last edited by seriousarsonist on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.