Changes to St. Stephens Green - Kildare St

Post by markpboyle
Hi there,

I noticed some changes to SSG/Kildare St on the Journal (http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-cross-cit ... 1-Nov2014/). I've changed as many as I could on the map but I couldn't add a right turn from SSG-N (westbound) to Kildare St (northbound) because it's level 5 locked. Can someone else do it?
markpboyle

POSTER_ID:16882529

Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Mark,
markpboyle wrote:I noticed some changes to SSG/Kildare St on the Journal (http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-cross-cit ... 1-Nov2014/). I've changed as many as I could on the map but I couldn't add a right turn from SSG-N (westbound) to Kildare St (northbound) because it's level 5 locked. Can someone else do it?
Good catch! Thanks for noticing this.

I've added an extra segment to the end of Kildare St to allow for the right turn from SSG-N onto it. Can you take care of the temporary closure of the west end of Molesworth St for the next four weeks?

The reason most of these segments are L5 locked is because of all the recent changes, especially at the NE corner of St. Stephen's Green. The road layout no longer matches the satellite images, so if we left it unlocked there'd be a risk that a well-meaning editor would change the road layout to match the satellite images instead of the reality on the ground.

thanks,

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
markpboyle wrote:I've added a temporary restriction to Dawson -> Molesworth, would you mind checking it out?
I took the liberty of replacing the temporary turn restriction with a pair of temporary restrictions on the road segment itself, since it sounds like the road is closed in both directions, not just to traffic turning onto it from Dawson St.

That's what it sounds like from the article in The Journal, and from the wording on the Luas Cross City website - do you think they mean it's closed in both directions?

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi again Mark,

I've removed the restrictions from that section of Molesworth St and put in a road closure instead, which should have the same effect, except that the closure will be visible on Live Map and also directly on the phone.

I did this in the beta editor, which has a new feature (coming soon to production) that lets editors create and edit closures on roads that take effect immediately and are visible to end users.

Let me know if it works OK; it should be good.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
I was just looking at the map and I noticed that the four-week closure I'd put in place for that section of Molesworth St had vanished - so I put it back in, to last for four weeks from November 4 (so until the end of November 25).

Since the closures feature is only in the beta editor, I imagine it's probably still a little buggy.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Mark,
markpboyle wrote:I had just added the next set of Luas related road closures when I remembered you saying that closures were better than turning restrictions. I still don't have access to that, maybe you can update it? It's Talbot between Marlborough and Gardiner and Abbey east of O'Connell St.
I see you've put some turn restrictions in on Talbot Street, so perhaps that one's OK for now?

Can you describe in more detail the restrictions to Abbey St east of O'Connell St? Is it limited to all traffic as far as Beresford Place until a particular date, and at all times?

thanks,

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by markpboyle
I've added a temporary restriction to Dawson -> Molesworth, would you mind checking it out?
markpboyle
Send a message

Post by markpboyle
Hi David,

I had just added the next set of Luas related road closures when I remembered you saying that closures were better than turning restrictions. I still don't have access to that, maybe you can update it? It's Talbot between Marlborough and Gardiner and Abbey east of O'Connell St.

Mark
markpboyle
Send a message