National & Regional roads

Post by llayden
This is the second post I promised yesterday outlining what I am doing and my current targets.

When I started, it quickly became clear to me that there were lots of little pockets where individual users had done a good job but had become stymied by other peoples messed up work that was in their way and they couldn't delete. The country was littered with the work of people who had gone a certain distance (literally and figuratively) and given up. I thought that was sad so since I acquired the necessary privileges one of the tasks I undertake on a regular basis is a virtual tour of the country adding in National and Regional routes and tidying up. I pick a town, look up the statutory instruments setting up the N & R roads for the town name and name and connect as many as I can (Google maps is only about 70% accurate). I check for junctions that are only one direction and I follow each road as far as I can and connect it. The idea is that if we have a workable backbone then new users will have a better experience and will be able to connect their roads onto the backbone and accomplish something and stick with waze. The other part of this exercise is to look for jumbles of roads and messed up junctions (roundabouts in particular) and delete them. Typically, I replace a tangled up roundabout with a simple crossroads. Local users can then create the proper topology for themselves.

This is just a public service I provide and which I hope to be able to give time to until there is a proper network of area managers that can do the tidying up for their users. However the community is not big enough yet so someone with the necessary privileges providing a rudimentary service should be helpful.

Let me know when you want me to stop.
llayden

POSTER_ID:1446296

Send a message