Naming PLR and Private roads

Post by
Hi

1: What is the current policy regarding naming PLRs and Private roads for Area Places?

For instance; Greenore Glof Club

Currently the 'Parking Road' is named as above as is the small stub of street for the Harbour, it is named Harbour. Should these be named as such or left blank, seeing as we now have POIs and APs which can be added and named appropriately.

2: Car Parks...

Which carparks should be mapped and how should they be named?

POSTER_ID:10802295

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Where there are shops with their own associated car park, these don't necessarily need to have the Car Park mapped, yes?
Those Car Parks which are open to public use such as Pay & Display are worth having on the map, yes?
If there is a parking area, but unnamed, should it be mapped, or have a point? (which is mapped but as a point and not an area!)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Pip,
seriousarsonist wrote:1: What is the current policy regarding naming PLRs and Private roads for Area Places?

For instance; Greenore Glof Club

Currently the 'Parking Road' is named as above as is the small stub of street for the Harbour, it is named Harbour. Should these be named as such or left blank, seeing as we now have POIs and APs which can be added and named appropriately.
I don't think we have a formally defined policy, but this thread seems like a good place to discuss it. Here's the way I look at it anyway:

I tend to name PLRs for most places for the place they belong to (if they belong to one particular place). For example, I would give a parking lot for a supermarket the same name as the supermarket itself. This is partly because the area place for the supermarket *might* not show up on the phone screen, whereas the PLR's name might - and this is one more thing that would show up in search results.

For point places/POIs that have a car park, I think it makes more sense to name the PLR for the place, because the PLR name is the only name that would show up on the phone screen.

For PLRs that don't belong to any particular place, such as random car parks in the middle of a town, I'd be inclined not to name them at all, because there's no obvious name to give them (unless the town has defined a name for them). I'm not a big fan of the '[P]' convention that is (or was for a while?) popular in the UK.
seriousarsonist wrote:2: Car Parks...

Which carparks should be mapped and how should they be named?
As for which car parks: I think all car parks that belong to a shopping centre or supermarket (or similar), and all car parks of a decent size (more than 20..30 spaces?) in a town that are meant for general use.

I think private car parks that belong to large businesses are also worth mapping, because if they're not, then Waze users within them will get snapped to the nearest adjacent road, which means that they'll get bad directions from Waze and might also generate traffic jams and bad road speed information in the adjacent road from Waze's point of view.

As per usual Waze practice, obviously every lane of a car park should never be mapped - just one loop around the edges of the car park, and, if it's quite large, major routes within the car park are also worth mapping.

Finally, for naming: see above for the answer to your first question. Summary: no need to name very small car parks or those that either don't have an explicit name or don't belong to any one entity. For car parks that belong to one particular thing (such as a supermarket, shopping centre, church or large business), then maybe name them after that thing. Just calling them "car park" or "[P]" seems a bit pointless to me.

Anyway, most of the above is just my opinion or what I tend to do myself. I'm sure there are plenty of other opinions out there, so everybody else: please give your opinion. We could add a paragraph to the road naming wiki page if we come up with a reasonable consensus.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
Timbones wrote:2. The Global Guidelines for car parks are pretty extensive, and the 3 principles are a good starting point. Unnamed car parks are no use to anyone. We've been cleaning up our car parks this year...

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/United_Kingd ... #Car_Parks
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places/Parking_lot
I agree with all these principles from the point of view of parking lot landmarks^Warea places, but I think parking lot roads are worthwhile around the edges of all parking lots, including private ones, mainly to stop snapping users in those car parks to adjacent public roads, and also to make sure they get reasonable directions out of those car parks.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Just for the avoidance of confusion between parking lot roads and parking lot places/landmarks: my first response to this thread was written entirely with parking lot *roads* in mind, not parking lot area places.

I very rarely create parking lot area places, and the main reason I can think of for creating them is to mark car parks that aren't associated with anything else (such as a supermarket or shopping centre). By this I mean commercial or municipal car parks that are intended for general-purpose use by the public. Giving them a name (assuming they have a name) is worthwhile because people might want to search for them by name.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
seriousarsonist wrote:...dropping a POI with the correct name should really be all that is needed.
By POI would I be right in assuming you mean an area place?

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
lsin023 wrote:
lsin023 wrote:CMs, AMs, Editors,

What is the the final decision regarding below?
  • Parking Lot Roads should be unnamed ("No name" ticked). Identified businesses should be marked as Places (point or >40x40m area with Stop point correctly set and Parking for customers ticked) instead of naming PLRs
  • Parking Lot Places: Global/UK guidelines and the 3 principles should be followed
  • Private Roads related to Places should be unnamed ("No name" ticked)
Can we start updating Wiki Ireland accordingly?
2 months later..
Just a OK or NOK? ;)
Sorry for the delay:

My opinion: generally OK, although if we come across names PLRs and private roads related to places, I don't think there's a great need to go round removing these names.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by lsin023
Timbones wrote:2. The Global Guidelines for car parks are pretty extensive, and the 3 principles are a good starting point. Unnamed car parks are no use to anyone. We've been cleaning up our car parks this year...
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/United_Kingd ... #Car_Parks
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places/Parking_lot
I also agree with the UK Guidelines.
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
CMs, AMs, Editors,

• Parking Lot Roads should be unnamed ("No name" ticked). Identified businesses should be marked as Places (point or >40x40m area with Stop point correctly set and Parking for customers ticked) instead of naming PLRs
  • Parking Lot Places: Global/UK guidelines and the 3 principles should be followed
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
lsin023 wrote:CMs, AMs, Editors,

2 months later..
Just a OK or NOK? ;)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
davidg666 wrote:My opinion: generally OK, although if we come across names PLRs and private roads related to places, I don't think there's a great need to go round removing these names.
Well, I think the main question here is "what do we want to achieve?"
If we want a "clean" map, to reduce the redundancies in search results and to follow the Global/UK guidelines, then we should advise editors to clean them whenever they can. Of course, as we are all volunteers, some will do, others won't. We will get a greater chance to achieve our goals.
If we advise editors to leave them as is, we will never get rid of all those redundancies and we will never achieve what we want to.
UK were on the same situation some time ago, they made a choice and managed to have their PL cleaned by making the effort.
I believe we can do it too and encouraging editors to improve the map can only be beneficial even the smallest contribution.
So a GO for "cleaning" a map polluted by private Parking Lot Places in Wazers' field of vision, less redundant search results (for Places with PLRs/PRs named) and the possibility to have more details about our destinations converted from PLRs/PRs to Waze Places?
Anyway, at the end, editors will always have the choice to contribute or not. :)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message