Abbreviations and TTS navigation voices

Post by lsin023
Hi All,

As you may know, the UK English TTS (Text-To-Speech) Navigation voice Serena (Nuance) has been replaced by the UK English TTS voice Kate (Google).
Those voices read street names aloud but there are some issues (abbreviations not read correctly, incorrect pronunciation...)
We need your help to test and report such issues so that the Waze Team can correct them.
The list of abbreviations (set by country now) is from Wazeopedia Ireland: list of abbreviations.
If your have any suggestions, please do not hesitate to post in this thread.

All tests are with the Google female "Kate" voice only as used in UK/Ireland. Another English voice choice for UK/Ireland, "Tomas", is likely to use the same TTS databases.

To hear the most current TTS results from your Waze client device, it is necessary to clear your current TTS cache. Enter "cc@tts" (case sensitive) without quotes in the Navigation search to clear the cache. Waze should reply with a "TTS cache has been cleared!" popup box.

If you already know or learn any TTS results, fill up the Google Spreadsheet below:
Waze Abbreviations and TTS (Ireland).
Please submit only results that you are absolutely sure of, with the Permalink for all issues, and the confirmed TTS output result.

For abbreviations used in other countries, please refer to How to label and name roads (by country).
Thanks to Gizmo for his initial post.
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16937347

Send a message
Last edited by lsin023 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by lsin023
Abbreviation "Tce" issue here.
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
Timbones wrote:Abbreviations are set per country now, so Waze can add missing ones for you.
Does it mean that the same TTS voice can read the abbreviation "Tce" "Terrace" in country A and "TeeCeee" in country B?
And both TTS voices "Kate" (UK) and "Jane" (US) would read "Terrace" in country A and "TeeCeee" in country B but just with a different accent?
Technically, how does the algorithm behind work/apply to TTS voice and/or country?
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
davidg666 wrote:If that could be done (as well as having the 'N' in (for example) "M11 N" pronounced as "north") then it would be very handy, and would probably the only difference we'd need from UK TTS - and would also mean that we wouldn't need a separate set of TTS rules to the UK (with all the maintenance that that would entail).
Hi David,
You have published the list of abbreviations Waze Wiki: How_to_label_and_name_roads_(Ireland) some time ago and it differs from United_Kingdom/Roads#Abbreviations and not 'only' 'N' and 'Tce'. I'm still trying to make a list of those issues here and it takes times as I don't get much help.
Unfortunately, some editors keep chasing points and updating road geometry unnecessarily as we don't have a locking policy...
davidg666 wrote:It would probably be better if we included a link to the standard Abbreviations & Acronyms page instead of having our own table.
The entries have only been tested for the US English "Samantha" voice and some are no longer valid.
Don't you think that we should test the entries first?

There are many street names in Waze map in Ireland with, 'Grn', 'Pde', 'Lwr', 'Upr', 'Est', etc as suggested in Waze Wiki Ireland and I believe that many editors still use it as 'THE' reference.
Maybe adding a note inviting readers to visit the Wiki page regularly due to 'coming changes' would be useful, at least until the final decision regarding the naming convention.
Of course, it's much easier to follow the list of UK abbreviations. Can anyone confirm that all those abbreviations have been correctly tested with the UK voice 'Kate'?
If we use the UK list, what do we do with all those street names with 'Lwr', 'Est', 'Grn'..? MapRaids?
To request Waze Team to load a script which renames all street names with issues in Ireland and popup a message in WME to inform editors of the new naming convention in Ireland? (not so many read messages here) Really possible?
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by lsin023 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by lsin023
Hi David, Tim,

I have added the 24 UK abbreviations to the test list (beige color)
Timbones wrote:I'm moderately sure that all of the abbreviations on the UK page do work with the new voices.
"Gdn" is pronounced "GardenS" with the "S". Is it just in Ireland or it's the same in UK?

I agree with both of you that we should have a limited list of common abbreviations.
The UK list seems a good starting point, not the outdated US one (the Irish list until 12/09/15).
This limited list of common abbreviations should match the ones drivers can see on street signs.
==>David, do you think the UK list matches? Except "Ter". How about "Gn", "Gr"?
The cardinal directions should be added.
davidg666 wrote:I'm not aware of an automated means of renaming parts of street names. We can certainly ask Waze HQ about this
It's probably a small script with Regex. Nothing really complicated for DBA/developers.
==>Tim, David, Can you find out if Waze HQ is willing to help us to clean the street name database?
We have an average of 60 active wazers everyday in Dublin whereas the average in London is +3k and +20k in Paris. Can you imagine how many active editors? We also have the lowest penetration ratio in Europe. How many years to get things done if we don't take the initiative to grease the engine?
davidg666 wrote:I have a feeling (untested) that very few editors come to the forum and even fewer editors look at that wiki page(...) Obviously it's possible for one L1 editor to cause a lot of damage
In my opinion, all editors should follow the same guidelines (Waze Wiki) and have read and understood the Best map editing practice. If it's not accurate, we should have it updated. Every editor (all levels) not aware of the editing rules can cause damage.
davidg666 wrote:Speaking of a locking policy: do you think we should have one?
Yes, we should enable "Automatic locks" once we have accurate Wiki pages or properly linked to UK ones and some "housekeeping" done on the map..
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by lsin023 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by lsin023
Timbones wrote:over 7,500 segments with bad names in Ireland :o
Segments with incorrect names whose city is "No city" are not counted and listed here, am I right?
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
davidg666 wrote:What's wrong with the abbreviation "Cres" for "Crescent", like this one?
The page is generated based on the list of UK abbreviations
lsin023 wrote:The UK list seems a good starting point, not the US one (the present Irish list).
This limited list of common abbreviations should match the ones drivers can see on street signs.
==>David, do you think the UK list matches? Except "Ter". How about "Gn", "Gr","Cr"..?
davidg666 wrote:"Road" instead of "Rd", which is a fairly minor incorrectness
If we have the chance to clean the database via MapRaid, I think we should correct them even minor.
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by lsin023 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by lsin023
davidg666 wrote:
lsin023 wrote:This limited list of common abbreviations should match the ones drivers can see on street signs.
Except for "Ter", I think we should go with a subset of the UK list, mainly because some of the items on the list (like "Boulevard") we rarely have and partly because some of them (like "Green" and "Grove") are relatively rare and aren't obvious to users when they see them
I believe it would be best to have a list based on what drivers can see on street signs. Drivers who don't have "Boulevard/Green/Grove" on their daily route would say "rare" whereas those who have "Boulevard/Green/Grove" in their neighbourhood would say "very frequent".. :roll:

It would be funny to have the TOP10 of the most common street names.. Tim? :D
Can you also RegEx out street names like "R121 <> N3 S & Blanchardstown SC" (wondering if Kate has enough time to read it as it's just 100m...) :mrgreen:

Regarding "Green" and "Grove", I frequently find them in residential areas but have never seen them in abbreviation on street signs, maybe because of the confusion. So, David, I agree with you somehow to exclude them from the list! We can also exclude them from the Wiki list of abbreviations in Ireland and leave them in the list for TTS Kate (therefore same UK List)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
Test almost done. Many unexpected results.
I have tested a few abbreviations with the US English TTS voice "Jane".
Hwy: US "Jane" pronounced "highway" correctly whereas UK "Kate" spelled the abbreviation for the same segment.
It seems that different algorithms/rules apply to those two voices (and probably others) in the same country.
Timbones wrote:As for the cardinals, it looks like they all work except for N at the end. I now remember that someone in the UK reported something similar where "Something Ln N" would be wrong, but other combinations are fine. I'll push to have that corrected
From the few abbreviations tested ("Something Rd/Ave/Ln/St/M11 N"), N is pronounced "enn".
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lsin023
The Wiki Ireland Abbreviations page has been updated.
The list of abbreviations is based on the test results and the UK list with the exception of:
  • Crescent: Cres (instead of "Cr")
  • Green: Gn (excluded)
  • Grove: Gr (excluded)
  • Ridge: Rdg (excluded)
  • Valley: Val (excluded)
This new list should be much closer to the final Irish list than the old one (outdated US list).
Your suggestions are welcome. ;)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by lsin023 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.