Post by lsin023
Editors,

You may have noticed that WME released on 15/12/15 has a new TTS playback button in the street name field as shown below:
IE_Waze_TTS_Button.jpg
(15.96 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Please note that it hasn't been localized yet. That means it cannot correctly read aloud the abbreviations used in Ireland.
Do not make changes to the map based on this new TTS playback feature! ;)
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Timbones
lsin023 wrote:
Timbones wrote:Abbreviations are set per country now, so Waze can add missing ones for you.
Does it mean that the same TTS voice can read the abbreviation "Tce" "Terrace" in country A and "TeeCeee" in country B?
I'm not sure about exact details here, as we get confusing and conflicting answers from staff. We can certainly ask to have Tce added as an abbreviation, and it won't be a problem for UK users.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
I'm moderately sure that all of the abbreviations on the UK page do work with the new voices.

If you have other abbreviations not in our list, then we can have them added.
Alternatively, it might be best to limit abbreviations to just the common ones (St, Rd, Ln, etc), and have all other names spelt out in full (e.g. Uppr, Lwr and Est).

If you wish to have more roads locked, you can ask Waze to enable "Automatic locks", which are based on how busy the roads are. This would mean that motorways would be locked to the highest level, and other busy roads to a lower level. I would suggest starting with a maximum of lock of 3, so that your Area Managers are unhindered. You'll need to consider the trade-off between protecting the map, and turning anyway potential good editors.

Of course, manual locks for important roads and junctions is also an option.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Thanks for testing the abbreviations, Stan. Looks like we have one or two we need to fix for Kate.

As for the cardinals, it looks like they all work except for N at the end. I now remember that someone in the UK reported something similar where "Something Ln N" would be wrong, but other combinations are fine. I'll push to have that corrected.

As for automatically fixing street names, I reckon Waze could do it, but probably not on a timescale that you'd like. Instead, I can provide a detailed list of segments with incorrect abbreviations, and we can have Map Raid to clean them up. Extensions like WME Color Highlights or WME Validator can be tweaked to highlight the bad names directly in the editor.

Then again, I've found over 1,000 bad names in Dublin alone, so perhaps there's just too many...

[Edit] over 7,500 segments with bad names in Ireland :o
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
PS: here's a page I threw together quickly that shows incorrectly named roads by city in Ireland. This would make a good foundation for a Map Raid, and editors will probably find and fix other problems at the same time.

Let me know if there are any abbreviations that needs to be added or removed from this list.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
lsin023 wrote:Segments with incorrect names whose city is "No city" are not counted and listed here, am I right?
Segments with no city are not included, but I'll see if I can find a way to show them...
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Looking good, well done!

Did you also want to change Ter to Tce for Terrace?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
lsin023 wrote:Does anybody know how long it would take Waze HQ to teach the new abbreviations/words (Lwr, N, Upr, Tce) to Kate? Tim?
They were added today, though we're still working on the 'N' problem. Search for cc@tts in your app to clear the cache.
lsin023 wrote:Tim, would you mind to update Incorrectly named roads by city?
Have you found a way to include the "No street" name roads?
Besides, I think "Back to list of cities" at the bottom of the page is wrongly linked.
Sure, I'll get that sorted.

:ugeek:
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
lsin023 wrote:Tim, does Kate pronounce "Gdn" without the "S" for UK Wazers?
Regarding the abbreviations (Lwr, Upr, Tce) added today to Kate, are they correctly pronounced in UK too?
I'll have our resident TTS expert to check out Gdn.

I can't comment about the 3 new abbreviations, as we don't have any streets in UK that use them. The important thing is: do they work for you? I'm assuming that they will work for both Kate and Thomas.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message