List of approved cameras (updated upon request through this thread):
[Approved on, type(Speed/Red light/Fake), county, location, model, info]
Waze Wiki Cameras
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16937347

Send a message
Last edited by lsin023 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

These damn cameras are a PITA... :(

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,
lsin023 wrote:
List of approved cameras (updated upon request through this thread):
[Approved on, type(Speed/Red light/Fake), county, location, model, info]
Waze Wiki Cameras
It seems that someone doesn't like this approved Red light camera.. It has been deleted 3 times!
Just added again. :P
I just moved the cam very slightly and saved it. That might give it a higher level of protection.
You can slap me when it is deleted next time! :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
lsin023 wrote:It seems that someone doesn't like this approved Red light camera.. It has been deleted 3 times!
Just added again. :P
It's a shame we can't lock cameras or get a record of who deletes them...

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
DiarmuidCogan wrote:Is there any way of implimenting the speed/safety camera zones in this country? There is a KMZ file on the Garda website; can Waze HQ add it to give a standard camera zone warning when entering? I'm sick of deleting cameras which have been placed by well-meaning reports of a GoSafe van or those "speed sensors" on top of traffic lights :/
Funny you should mention that. I agree: an optional warning as you approach one of those zones would be ideal.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any larger countries that have a similar system that might give us more clout with Waze for coming up with a solution.

However, I've asked our community contact in Waze HQ if they *can* do anything for us - he's passed on my question to the person in Waze who's responsible for directing new features in the overall Waze product set, and he's having a think about it: I asked our community contact last Saturday if there's any update, and he said he's still waiting for answer from the product director.

In other words: watch this space. It's looking better than it was, because last time I asked our community contact, they said we should just name the speed van zones as normal speed cameras, but I think this would be incredibly annoying for most users, considering there are now over 1000 zones and many journeys probably pass through several of them (and a zone is a stretch of road, not just a single point).

I habitually delete every camera I see too (except for the one valid red light camera at a tram/Luas junction in Dublin) - but it's become second nature now, so it doesn't bother me too much any more.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
DiarmuidCogan wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't know of any larger countries that have a similar system that might give us more clout with Waze for coming up with a solution.
I seem to remember getting speed camera zone warnings with a speed limit sign when I travelled in the UK earlier in the year. They have a similar system to here where you see the camera sign at the roadside to indicate that there is likely to be a speed van up ahead. Maybe they could help.
Are you sure the warnings you were getting weren't for average speed cameras (where there's a camera at the start of a stretch of road and another one at the end, where they measure the time it takes to drive that section and work out your average speed from that)?

If that's not what you meant, can you find more evidence for it - maybe from the UK forum or UK Wazeopedia?

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Pat,
patmustard wrote:Can you please update the speed limit on the M7 from 60 to 80 East bound from J11 ?
I was driving on Sunday. The limit has been upped.
I think Yanis updated the speed limit last night (there's a conversation about it in #editing on Trello), so it should show up for you after the next tile update, probably tomorrow. Thanks for pointing it out!

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
Is there any way of implimenting the speed/safety camera zones in this country? There is a KMZ file on the Garda website; can Waze HQ add it to give a standard camera zone warning when entering? I'm sick of deleting cameras which have been placed by well-meaning reports of a GoSafe van or those "speed sensors" on top of traffic lights :/
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
Thanks David,
I seem to remember getting speed camera zone warnings with a speed limit sign when I travelled in the UK earlier in the year. They have a similar system to here where you see the camera sign at the roadside to indicate that there is likely to be a speed van up ahead. Maybe they could help.
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by helvete666
Those speed traps have been on the M50 for years but i don't think they have ever been used. Theres another on the south bound side and another set near J10/12. In the last 5/6 years of driving on M50 i've never seen any of them flash and I've seen some maniac drivers on those roads easily exceeding the limit.
helvete666
Send a message