Speed/Red light cameras

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Re: Speed/Red light cameras

Postby davidg666 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:59 am

lsin023 wrote:It seems that someone doesn't like this approved Red light camera.. It has been deleted 3 times!
Just added again. :P

It's a shame we can't lock cameras or get a record of who deletes them...

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby YanisKyr » Thu May 12, 2016 6:02 pm

lsin023 wrote:It seems that someone doesn't like this approved Red light camera.. It has been deleted 3 times!

Weird that there is no lock for cameras, right?
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby CTCNetwork » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi,
lsin023 wrote:
List of approved cameras (updated upon request through this thread):
[Approved on, type(Speed/Red light/Fake), county, location, model, info]

Waze Wiki Cameras

It seems that someone doesn't like this approved Red light camera.. It has been deleted 3 times!

I just moved the cam very slightly and saved it. That might give it a higher level of protection.
You can slap me when it is deleted next time! :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby DiarmuidCogan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Is there any way of implimenting the speed/safety camera zones in this country? There is a KMZ file on the Garda website; can Waze HQ add it to give a standard camera zone warning when entering? I'm sick of deleting cameras which have been placed by well-meaning reports of a GoSafe van or those "speed sensors" on top of traffic lights :/
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager for Cork City & County
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davidg666 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 am

DiarmuidCogan wrote:Is there any way of implimenting the speed/safety camera zones in this country? There is a KMZ file on the Garda website; can Waze HQ add it to give a standard camera zone warning when entering? I'm sick of deleting cameras which have been placed by well-meaning reports of a GoSafe van or those "speed sensors" on top of traffic lights :/

Funny you should mention that. I agree: an optional warning as you approach one of those zones would be ideal.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any larger countries that have a similar system that might give us more clout with Waze for coming up with a solution.

However, I've asked our community contact in Waze HQ if they *can* do anything for us - he's passed on my question to the person in Waze who's responsible for directing new features in the overall Waze product set, and he's having a think about it: I asked our community contact last Saturday if there's any update, and he said he's still waiting for answer from the product director.

In other words: watch this space. It's looking better than it was, because last time I asked our community contact, they said we should just name the speed van zones as normal speed cameras, but I think this would be incredibly annoying for most users, considering there are now over 1000 zones and many journeys probably pass through several of them (and a zone is a stretch of road, not just a single point).

I habitually delete every camera I see too (except for the one valid red light camera at a tram/Luas junction in Dublin) - but it's become second nature now, so it doesn't bother me too much any more.

++David

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby DiarmuidCogan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks David,

Unfortunately, I don't know of any larger countries that have a similar system that might give us more clout with Waze for coming up with a solution.

I seem to remember getting speed camera zone warnings with a speed limit sign when I travelled in the UK earlier in the year. They have a similar system to here where you see the camera sign at the roadside to indicate that there is likely to be a speed van up ahead. Maybe they could help.
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager for Cork City & County
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davidg666 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:58 am

DiarmuidCogan wrote:

I seem to remember getting speed camera zone warnings with a speed limit sign when I travelled in the UK earlier in the year. They have a similar system to here where you see the camera sign at the roadside to indicate that there is likely to be a speed van up ahead. Maybe they could help.

Are you sure the warnings you were getting weren't for average speed cameras (where there's a camera at the start of a stretch of road and another one at the end, where they measure the time it takes to drive that section and work out your average speed from that)?

If that's not what you meant, can you find more evidence for it - maybe from the UK forum or UK Wazeopedia?

++David

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Previous

Return to Ireland