Post by dilallio
Thanks David - Apologies for the late reply!
Yes - another editor had removed my bowtie and reverted back to the standard layout. In fairness to them, my original edit was giving a turn right/turn left instructions when going straight ahead so they were correct to make the change.
I've updated it again so hopefully it will work now.
Thanks,
John
dilallio
Send a message

Post by llayden
Sorry, havn't been in for a while but am all in favour of cooperation - been ploughing a lone furrow for a too long now (not sure if ploughing a furrow is the right metaphor for editing in Dublin though).
llayden
Send a message

Post by Marlow925
Hi,

Just thought, I'd say hello.

I've been using Waze for quite a while .. well, 6 months or so .. and also done the odd edit here and there. Especially, when things are way off.

Just actually adjusted the Fanad Drive all the way up to Fanad Head in Donegal, as that was completely off the grid.

Based in Athlone, but drive everywhere in Europe, so my tracks are quite widespread.

I've been mapping on OSM for years, so not really new to the mapping approach.

/M
Marlow925
Send a message

Post by Marlow925
davidg666 wrote:Excellent; I'm glad you're here. I presume you've read the various pages on the Waze wiki about editing, especially about how to map junctions so that they route correctly and give the right turn instructions? Naming of towns and roads as well and road types specific to Ireland are important too (in my opinion). There's an Ireland-specific wiki page, and I've got a draft new version of it just about ready too.
It's fairly self-explanatory and logical, how junctions should be mapped. I'll have a read over the wiki anyhow one of the days. But sure, common sense: make sure, roads are marked in the way their directions go (one-way, two-way) and make sure all possible turns are marked green from all approach roads.

/M
Marlow925
Send a message

Post by Marlow925
davidg666 wrote: Agreed, but for a couple of details:

1. Make sure roads have the correct type (because Waze routing prefers higher roads (for example, freeways over streets)) - so R- roads are "minor highway", N- roads are "major highway", motorways are "freeway", and all other surfaced roads are either "street" or "primary street" (with a couple of exceptions).

2. Tune the angles carefully in junctions so that the user gets a "turn right/left", or "keep right/left" or "exit right/left" when they should, and nothing when they should just go straight through. (imagine a 'Y' shaped intersection where the main road veers to the left and a minor road goes off to the right. Traffic staying on the main road should get no instruction, but traffic taking the minor road should be told to turn right. Traffic coming from the minor road onto the main road should always be told to turn left or right appropriately. If a 'Y' shaped intersection is just mapped as a 'Y', then traffic from a minor road onto a major road (where there would normally be a stop or a yield sign) would get no instruction and would assume it could continue straight on into the major road.) (hope that explanation makes sense!)
Yes. Common sense. The same limitations as to OSM apply. I've been spending a lot of time over the last years tweaking the irish OSM data to use with satnav, so I'm well aware of the issues that can arise.

/M
Marlow925
Send a message

Post by Marlow925
davidg666 wrote:Good stuff. My apologies if you felt I was talking down to you or telling you stuff you already knew :)
No apologies needed. It's better to point it out one time too many. Bad mapping data is going to affect everybody.
davidg666 wrote:I've only experimented with OSM editing briefly, several years ago - I've occasionally wondered how software GPS routing using the OSM map works in terms of getting turn instructions right and so on.
It can get quite complicated to add specific data in OSM, depending on the editor you use. Also, some of the mapping hasn't been done with routing in mind, so there's tidying up required here and there. The only way to spot these issues is to actually use the data in a nav software. So the early days were quite crude, but it has come a long way.

/M
Marlow925
Send a message

Post by zzemca
Hey guys! Thought I'd say hi. Thanks for starting the thread David.

Hopefully waze is gonna get so good in Ireland that we actually will feel we're getting benefit from all time we're putting into it.

The other day waze showed me a short cut in Dun Laoghaire that actually saved me about two minutes.
zzemca
Send a message