New national and regional roads

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara, YanisKyr

Re: New national and regional roads

Postby davidg666 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:11 pm

llayden wrote:The Dept of transport has issued new statutory instruments defining the national (major highways) and regional (minor highways) routes. [...]

The main changes that I can see are the old primary routes that are downgraded to regional routes because of new motorways, some changes due to bypasses and big changes in Dublin where the national routes no longer come inside the M50.

I'll be making the changes to the Dublin routes over the next few days.

Thanks for this. I can see that you've done many/most of the primary routes, however I can see the section of the N11 inside the M50 and a bit of the N4 (Con Colbert Rd) are still marked as N11 and N4 respectively - are these still designated as primary routes by the DoT, or are they just roads you haven't got to yet?

David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby davidg666 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 am

llayden wrote:The new set up looks odd and I think the road signs will take some time to catch up. Does it mean they don't have to sand them during the next emergency?

I agree - just because the designation of the road has changed (and presumably it's also switched from NRA-maintained to local-authority-maintained) doesn't mean that it's importance has - it's still the same size, carries the same traffic, and has the same importance. One could argue that it's still a major highway even though it now has an R- designation.

That said, if we decide that certain R- roads should be marked as "major" just because they were *once* N- roads at some point in the past, then we'll get very confused in a couple of years when people disagree as to which roads were once marked a certain way.

You're right about the road signs; I bet we'll still have N- signs on these roads for many years to come.

David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

New national and regional roads

Postby llayden » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:05 pm

The Dept of transport has issued new statutory instruments defining the national (major highways) and regional (minor highways) routes. You can find them here
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0054.html
and here
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0053.html

The main changes that I can see are the old primary routes that are downgraded to regional routes because of new motorways, some changes due to bypasses and big changes in Dublin where the national routes no longer come inside the M50.

I'll be making the changes to the Dublin routes over the next few days.

Please consult these when in doubt. Google maps has major errors in this regard and even the ordnance survey is not definitive.
llayden

Postby llayden » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi David,

The N11 comes as far as Mount Merrion Ave (the N31). I think I have that correct. On the N4, I've changed the type to Minor but I seem to have missed renaming some bits. Well spotted.

The new set up looks odd and I think the road signs will take some time to catch up. Does it mean they don't have to sand them during the next emergency?

Leo
llayden

Return to Ireland