Post by davidg666
I've only seen the still-orange-after-save behaviour on small road segments that already existed before the save, that I'm only making a small change to. I've been assuming it's just a cosmetic issue with the editor since there doesn't seem to be any problem with them after this.

You're right about the common ghost segments; there's plenty of mention of them elsewhere in the forum. For the M6 problem I started this thread with, support were fairly quick deleting the bad segments for me - I reported them on a Friday night, and they were deleted some time on the Sunday.

Arthur: your trick for starting new road segments unattached to existing roads and only attaching them when the new road has been saved: are you saying that when you don't do this that ghost road problems arise? I haven't noticed this happening either - I usually start new road segments attached to existing roads.

David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
llayden wrote:Three ghost segments, the one on the N6, the one on the N59 and another on the R201 were 'caused' by me or at least, I was the last editor before the occurrence. On these, I am certain that the ghost segments did not occur immediately, but rather several weeks later. The ghost segments, when they appeared were the roads as they were before I edited them. For example on the N59 I moved the road geometry to match the GPS points and some weeks later the original road position reappeared both on the client and the map editor, could be selected but could not be deleted. The real and phantom segments have different segment numbers - I wonder if you have to join two segments (which I do all the time) for the problem to happen.
I join road segments all the time too - any time I see a junction node without a junction and where the two road segments have the same name and level, I join the segments. I haven't noticed ghost segments happening because of this, but I'll look out for them now - but it could be hard to notice them if they only show up weeks later.

Ghost-like segments (or rather, those uneditable in WME - probably not the same thing) used to be deletable in Cartouche - but not the recent M6 ghost segments. I suspect the Cartouche-deletable segments were just corrupt in some other way.

David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by llayden
Hi David,

I had a similar problem with the N59 near Bangor Erris recently and had to get Waze support to delete the roads (by giving them the segment IDs of the bogus roads). Two of the roads are not real. Make some minor change and save - two of the roads will save and the other two will tell you that something has been changed since you started editing and won't let you (I unlocked the 'real' road that was locked). In the N59 case both roads appeared on the client. The N6 was certainly OK at the end of April when I last looked at it.

In the N59 case, I deleted the 'right' road and then couldn't do anything with the phanthom one - so I had to add the road again and get Support to sort the other one.

Regards

Leo.
llayden
Send a message

Post by llayden
Just to add a bit to the confusion!

Three ghost segments, the one on the N6, the one on the N59 and another on the R201 were 'caused' by me or at least, I was the last editor before the occurrence. On these, I am certain that the ghost segments did not occur immediately, but rather several weeks later. The ghost segments, when they appeared were the roads as they were before I edited them. For example on the N59 I moved the road geometry to match the GPS points and some weeks later the original road position reappeared both on the client and the map editor, could be selected but could not be deleted. The real and phantom segments have different segment numbers - I wonder if you have to join two segments (which I do all the time) for the problem to happen.
llayden
Send a message

Post by llayden
bprob wrote:Does anyone find that the problem appears and reappears in the space of a few hours?
I just returned to the section i mentioned in my previous post. I had seen on twitter that Waze had refreshed the map tiles, and had some bother logging in, so had wondered if this had affected what i saw at Waterloo area of the map this morning.

When I returned, I couldn't find the second "ghost" road when I pulled the top road aside at Waterloo, but as I worked my way northward, the "ghost" section did appear underneath.

The top road is ID 162618101, was created by 53341, and last edited by me
The bottom "ghost" road is ID 152463162, was created by 53341, and last edited by llayden

(i realise who created/edited is irrelevant to the problem, just using the names to differentiate as it is easier than numbers)

The llayden road is much longer, but then maybe the bprob road was longer before it was shortened by other road junctions being created in it. I assume they were both the same road initially as both created by 53341?

I was able to make edits to the N20 further north just as it enters Mallow, so i assume the "ghost" road disappears at one stage, or the bprob road ends earlier than it. I assume this is how edits to it occur, (when it isn't covered/duplicated?)

Is contacting Support the only solution?
Hi Roland

Good job on Cork City!

The behaviour you describe above is what makes me think that joining segments may be an element in the problem. The ghost segment is often (actually in all the cases I've seen) a bit of a road that has been subsumed into a longer road section - otherwise I think it doesn't get a new segment number. The ghost does not appear immediately (and only shows at some zooms) but when some later process happens some old data gets partially pulled forward. Sometimes i.e. when the road geometry has been changed, it is obvious - two roads nearly on top of each other. However, if the geometry has not changed, they are very difficult to find and only show up when you try to make a junction on the relevent section.

Regards

Leo
llayden
Send a message