Car Parks: Waze Policy

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, arthurohara, davidg666, YanisKyr

Car Parks: Waze Policy

Postby CTCNetwork » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:32 am

Hi,

I have deliberately opened a new topic for this, particularly considering the actions taken in the Uk by our ever helpful WazeHQ user accounts!
Also following on from this:

YanisKyr wrote:Around Dublin, the most common is: this parking should be an area instead of point (or something). Usually related to a parking POI added by WazeHQ.

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1518171

Is there any "new policy" for Ireland Waze in reference to mapping of Car Parks?
In the Uk we had hit upon, with help from Waze HQ obviously, to "Map" with area and roads only those car parks that were accessable to "the public" and not restricted to cusomers of x shop or y centre etc. For shops like Aldi, Lidl, Tescos and so on we removed the car park areas BUT added the Car parking available to the locations details so it could show in waze in some way.

Is there a similar policy in Ireland?

I'll add that Waze HQ deleted all the "Car Park" and some hastily created Waze HQ account was used to create location points for all car parks and subsequently raise a map issue for Car Park Mapped as Point and not Area (FFS you just deleted it!!!!).... Which was frustrating...

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:19 am
Location: Gone!
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Caar Parks: Wase Policy

Postby davidg666 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:39 am

Hi again,
CTCNetwork wrote:Is there any "new policy" for Ireland Waze in reference to mapping of Car Parks?

Umm, no - not that we can't make one. In fact, this thread might be the discussion that leads to such a policy, since any decisions we've made in the past have started with a forum discussion.

CTCNetwork wrote:In the Uk we had hit upon, with help from Waze HQ obviously, to "Map" with area and roads only those car parks that were accessable to "the public" and not restricted to cusomers of x shop or y centre etc. For shops like Aldi, Lidl, Tescos and so on we removed the car park areas BUT added the Car parking available to the locations details so it could show in waze in some way.

Is there a similar policy in Ireland?

There is no such policy, but common sense would suggest that there's no point mapping car parks that can't be used by members of the public. That said, many supermarkets tend to be part of a small shopping centre and have a few small shops adjacent to them. I think it's probably reasonable to map their car parks (as we often have done) because most people who want to park there would typically be using the shops or supermarket associated with them. If there are restrictions on the use of these car parks (such as limited time parking or use by customers only) then the physical signs will indicate this and we always expect Waze users to read the signs visible through their windscreens :)

CTCNetwork wrote:I'll add that Waze HQ deleted all the "Car Park" and some hastily created Waze HQ account was used to create location points for all car parks and subsequently raise a map issue for Car Park Mapped as Point and not Area (FFS you just deleted it!!!!).... Which was frustrating...

Aha - that explains a lot of the map issues that showed up! I didn't realise they'd deleted the car parks at these locations.

Anyway: all other editors: please weigh in with your opinions about car parks. We might want to continue to use what feels like common sense, or we might wish to adopt an explicit policy (which we can document on the wiki).

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Wicklow, Ireland
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 216 times

Re: Caar Parks: Wase Policy

Postby davidg666 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:07 pm

YanisKyr wrote:[ img ]

Argh! I see a few like that where the current address is "XYZ <street name>" and the suggested address is just "XYZ". I suspected some automated system is a little brain dead...

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Wicklow, Ireland
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 216 times

Re: Caar Parks: Wase Policy

Postby YanisKyr » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:46 pm

Came here to post the below and saw myself quoted on the first post :mrgreen:

There's another new report for Car Parks and the most frustrating part: the flagged info is not visible through WME!! Permalink

[ img ]
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
CM for Ireland
YanisKyr
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:41 am
Location: Ashbourne, Ireland
Has thanked: 310 times
Been thanked: 99 times


Return to Ireland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron