Car Parks: Waze Policy

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I have deliberately opened a new topic for this, particularly considering the actions taken in the Uk by our ever helpful WazeHQ user accounts!
Also following on from this:
YanisKyr wrote:Around Dublin, the most common is: this parking should be an area instead of point (or something). Usually related to a parking POI added by WazeHQ.
viewtopic.php?p=1518171#p1518171

Is there any "new policy" for Ireland Waze in reference to mapping of Car Parks?
In the Uk we had hit upon, with help from Waze HQ obviously, to "Map" with area and roads only those car parks that were accessable to "the public" and not restricted to cusomers of x shop or y centre etc. For shops like Aldi, Lidl, Tescos and so on we removed the car park areas BUT added the Car parking available to the locations details so it could show in waze in some way.

Is there a similar policy in Ireland?

I'll add that Waze HQ deleted all the "Car Park" and some hastily created Waze HQ account was used to create location points for all car parks and subsequently raise a map issue for Car Park Mapped as Point and not Area (FFS you just deleted it!!!!).... Which was frustrating...

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

POSTER_ID:16978106

Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi again,
CTCNetwork wrote:Is there any "new policy" for Ireland Waze in reference to mapping of Car Parks?
Umm, no - not that we can't make one. In fact, this thread might be the discussion that leads to such a policy, since any decisions we've made in the past have started with a forum discussion.
CTCNetwork wrote:In the Uk we had hit upon, with help from Waze HQ obviously, to "Map" with area and roads only those car parks that were accessable to "the public" and not restricted to cusomers of x shop or y centre etc. For shops like Aldi, Lidl, Tescos and so on we removed the car park areas BUT added the Car parking available to the locations details so it could show in waze in some way.

Is there a similar policy in Ireland?
There is no such policy, but common sense would suggest that there's no point mapping car parks that can't be used by members of the public. That said, many supermarkets tend to be part of a small shopping centre and have a few small shops adjacent to them. I think it's probably reasonable to map their car parks (as we often have done) because most people who want to park there would typically be using the shops or supermarket associated with them. If there are restrictions on the use of these car parks (such as limited time parking or use by customers only) then the physical signs will indicate this and we always expect Waze users to read the signs visible through their windscreens :)
CTCNetwork wrote:I'll add that Waze HQ deleted all the "Car Park" and some hastily created Waze HQ account was used to create location points for all car parks and subsequently raise a map issue for Car Park Mapped as Point and not Area (FFS you just deleted it!!!!).... Which was frustrating...
Aha - that explains a lot of the map issues that showed up! I didn't realise they'd deleted the car parks at these locations.

Anyway: all other editors: please weigh in with your opinions about car parks. We might want to continue to use what feels like common sense, or we might wish to adopt an explicit policy (which we can document on the wiki).

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:
Argh! I see a few like that where the current address is "XYZ <street name>" and the suggested address is just "XYZ". I suspected some automated system is a little brain dead...

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by YanisKyr
Came here to post the below and saw myself quoted on the first post :mrgreen:

There's another new report for Car Parks and the most frustrating part: the flagged info is not visible through WME!! Permalink

YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Coordinator & Booster for Cyprus | CM for Ireland | GC for the entire world