Routing over roundabout instead of ramp

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, YanisKyr, davidg666, arthurohara

Re: Routing over roundabout instead of ramp

Postby davidg666 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:42 am

YanisKyr wrote:
davidg666 wrote:Wow, that makes my head hurt :)

Hope it hurts in a good way :geek:

I'll answer that when I've had a chance to sit down and think about it properly :P

YanisKyr wrote:
davidg666 wrote:Assuming it works: lock it up tight to L5, [...]

Good thinking, I locked it all to L5 and resized the existing map comment to cover the roundabouts as well as all segments.

Cool. I've taken the liberty of L5-locking one of the concentric roundabouts (that was still at L3) and a couple more segments that had TIOs as part of the whole thing.

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby iainhouse » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:41 pm

There are two ways to do this. The first involves tricking Waze into regarding the roundabout route as including a u-turn, which it will then avoid. More details here.

The other method is to invoke the Detour Avoidance mechanism in Waze. To do this, the following criteria need to be fulfilled:
  • All segments on the non-detour route must have the same name and road type. For this example, that's the segment approaching the bypass segment, the bypass segment and the segment leading away from it.
    Note that alt-names are included in that, so you can do it with alt-names. In this case, though, they are all named "Fonthill Rd, Liffey Valley" so you don't need to worry.
  • The detour route (via the roundabout) must include at least one segment of a different road type.
    In this case, I would set the westbound exit segment from the roundabout to ramp.
  • There must be at least one different name on the bypass route. We discovered very recently that having un-named segments doesn't work, because the routing engine "picks up" the name of the next named segment, so an all-blank-named detour will appear to have the same name as the non-detour.
    In this case, I would name the roundabout exit segment (the one changed to ramp) as "Fonthill Rd > Dublin". Note: ">" reads out as towards in the English (UK) TTS. I can't vouch for other languages. ;)

I would suggest the first method here, as it's a bit simpler. :geek:
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby iainhouse » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:53 pm

YanisKyr wrote:I believe the segment change to Ramp (or anything else) will reflect on the map and might be confusing for users coming from the other directions.

Remember that the vast majority of Waze users will be using the default colour scheme, where this is far less noticeable than the editor's scheme. You can also "hide" the ramp segment by making it run very close to the bypass segment, which will overlie it in the app. See an example here.

YanisKyr wrote:The 90 degree solution for the first one you've linked might have a negative effect on directions of the like "at the roundabout go straight/right/left" - might see transition between these two segments as a "go straight".

None of these roundabouts will give "simple" instructions. Unless there are only 2-4 connections to a roundabout and all are approximately at multiples of 90° to each other, Waze should give n'th exit instructions.

davidg666 wrote:Do you know what prompts a "go straight" across a pair of roundabout segments? I assume it's more than just two segments joining the roundabout at 90 degrees and having 180 degrees relative to each other

The "180° to each other" matters, but so does not having intermediate connections that aren't far away from 90°. The angle at which a segment connects to a roundabout has no effect whatsoever on the instructions. But it does, as my map-hack takes advantage of, affect the routing engine. Note that you don't have to have the two connections with 90° turns. They can be 80°/100°, or 170°/10°. The important thing is that the connecting segment is <10m and the total angle turned is very close to 180°.

The Glenageary roundabout with the crossed segments: this is an attempt to force the bypass to work, but it messes up the exit counts for all routes coming from the NW. Going straight down Glenageary Rd Upr from left to right, for example, you will be told to "take the first exit", although it is apparently the second.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Routing over roundabout instead of ramp

Postby YanisKyr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Hey guys! Any ideas how to prevent waze from routing over the roundabout instead of the ramp? In the report below it's not exactly a ramp as such, but the purpose is the same.

Report: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... t=10229195

This also happens in other roundabouts, for example M50 S to M1 S.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
CM for Ireland
YanisKyr

Postby YanisKyr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Very interesting @iainhouse, thank you for the detailed explanation. I believe the segment change to Ramp (or anything else) will reflect on the map and might be confusing for users coming from the other directions.

I will try the 2x90 degrees turn in this particular roundabout and see if we can apply the second method in any of the other similar junctions.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
CM for Ireland
YanisKyr

Postby YanisKyr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:15 pm

@davidg666 we replied at the same time, I am implementing this now and we'll keep an eye on it.

I will also look at the M50 S to M1 S & M1 N to M50 N which has occurs to myself and many others often.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
CM for Ireland
YanisKyr

Postby YanisKyr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:47 pm

The 90 degree solution for the first one you've linked might have a negative effect on directions of the like "at the roundabout go straight/right/left" - might see transition between these two segments as a "go straight".

I've panned over the second one in Glenageary plenty of times, and even though it looks like an egg and I'd love to fix some geometry, I'm not touching it. Ok I added the speed limit :lol: :mrgreen:
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
CM for Ireland
YanisKyr

Postby YanisKyr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:44 pm

davidg666 wrote:Do you know what prompts a "go straight" across a pair of roundabout segments? I assume it's more than just two segments joining the roundabout at 90 degrees and having 180 degrees relative to each other - but if it is, then I imagine we could do some further angle-tweaking here to get around that.

Yeah, here's the wazeopedia article :)

In some cases this is no longer applicable. For example if one-way segments are connecting to the roundabout.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
CM for Ireland
YanisKyr

Postby YanisKyr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:52 pm

This is so confusing! Could it have to do with the naming of all segments being the same (except the roundabout)?
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
CM for Ireland
YanisKyr

Postby YanisKyr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:22 am

Another frustrating similar report! The 3 points from Ian's post #2 are in place, and the roundabout segment is 48m so way above the 15m 90 degree workaround. Maybe I'm missing something?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... t=10858574
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
CM for Ireland
YanisKyr

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland