Adding new roads in my area and editing existing roads.

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, YanisKyr, davidg666, arthurohara

Re: Adding new roads in my area and editing existing roads.

Postby davidg666 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 am

Hi Laois-JMC,
Laois-JMC wrote:Hello, I'm new to Waze but have done quite a bit of mapping in OSM. Just wondering what is the story with adding new roads. I added some this evening but at the other end of the road, the location is completely incorrect. What do I do in a case like this?

As you've probably noticed, there are quite a lot of roads missing from the map, so the more missing roads you can add the better!

These resources might be helpful, if you haven't come across them already (well, looks like you've already found the forum :) - welcome!):

1. The wiki: http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Main_Page
2. Map editing guide in the wiki: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Best_map_editing_practice
3. The forum: https://www.waze.com/forum/
4. The Ireland section of the forum: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=119
5. The Ireland section of the wiki: http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Ireland

(there's a new wiki, called Wazeopedia, but we haven't got around to moving the Ireland pages there yet)

What do you mean about the location at the other end of a road being completely incorrect? Do you mean that the road you want to join to is in the wrong place or that there's something else wrong at that location? Please post a permalink of any examples, if you have them.

There are some cases where the satellite images in the editor are out of date and new roads have been built that aren't visible yet, so we can't always rely on the satellite images, but they're pretty handy when they are up to date.

Incidentally, you might find in the Ireland section of the wiki guides for picking the correct road type. You should also find in the map editing guide details of how to make junctions properly and how to set turn restrictions. It's not enough just to make sure roads are touching; you need to make sure there's a junction where roads meet.

thanks, and welcome to map editing!

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby davidg666 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:21 am

Hi again,
Laois-JMC wrote:I was having difficulty in trying "join" to existing road at a junction. As I say, I did huge parts of Laois in OSM some years ago but just taking me a while to adjust to the waze set up. I'm attaching an example where I create the road. The junction where I need to connect to is in the fields. I cannot repair the existing road so do I join it in the fields or leave my road where it should be. I was having difficulty in setting the turn restrictions (which in most cases where I'm mapping do not exist). I tried reading up some stuff on the guides but was getting stuck and as I was going to be joining up to roads that were incorrect in first place I gave up.
https://www.waze.com/en-GB/editor?env=r ... 414&zoom=4

Aha; thanks for the example. I think the editor is acting up a bit today, because when I tried joining roads it didn't work every time and I had to reload the editor a couple of times. This doesn't usually happen!

Sometimes an existing road is all over the place (often because it was created by paving or when it was originally created the satellite images weren't very good, so the editor at the time couldn't tell very well exactly where to place the road) - so if it's very obviously wrong (like in your example) then it's fine to adjust the existing road to place it correctly, especially if you're familiar with the area and know the road is wrong. In the case of a minor road - like this one - it's usually safe to adjust it according to the satellite images.

In the case of a more major road then you can turn on GPS tracks in the editor so you can see the paths actual drivers have been taking; this can give you a hint as to whether the satellite images are correct or not.

For the example you gave, I've fixed up the roads and junction at that location and added names for a couple of the roads (just going by the signs visible in street view). You'll notice that for that junction I've tweaked the exact angles that the roads meet at (it's clearer if you zoom right in). I did this because the road from the northeast has a yield sign on it, but the roads it meets don't, so drivers coming from the northeast should be told by Waze to turn left or right, whereas drivers coming from the other directions shouldn't get an instruction because they can just drive straight through. Waze uses the angles that roads meet at a junction to decide whether to give an instruction at all and exactly what instruction to give.

About turn restrictions: the default behaviour in the editor is to have all turns restricted (red arrows), in which case Waze will try to avoid sending drivers through that junction at all, so it's better to remove these restrictions. As you know, junctions outside towns usually have no restrictions at all, so you can enable all turns. You can change the default behaviour in the editor to enable all turns on a new junction by default.

Anyway, I think part of your problem was because the editor was misbehaving. Reloading it often fixes this kind of problem, and such quirks usually go away after a few hours (typically when somebody in Waze HQ notices the problem and fixes it).

Hope this helps; I should stop rambling now :)

++David

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby davidg666 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Joe,
Laois-JMC wrote:Thanks for that Dave. Makes sense. I see where you modified the road. It appears that I do not have permission to modify roads that were created by someone else. What do I do in this case? I'd imagine that if you were to be contacted to modify any errors, you wouldn't be long getting fed up of it.

You should be allowed to modify all roads in your editing area *unless* those roads are locked for some reason, and we try to lock as few roads as possible. Look at the "Lock" setting when a road segment is selected; if it's set to "Automatic (1)" or just "1" then you definitely have permission to edit it. You can can modify all unlocked roads, no matter who created them.

For the odd case where you do need to edit a locked road (there are five lock levels), then you can post to Ireland Editor Requests to request that the road be unlocked or modified for you. Since there are very few locked roads, this is rarely needed - so it's no trouble at all for me or somebody else to unlock them.
Laois-JMC wrote:Also, another thing. I added a few General Map Errors via the app while driving along. These were mainly to remind myself to fix these at a later stage. Is this ok? For some reason, I can't see them when I log in online but yesterday I could see the ones I created then. Once I fixed the error, I marked them as solved so that someone else didn't have to check it out.

Oh yes; that's a handy way of setting reminders while you're out and about. If they're to remind yourself, then put something like "Selfie" or "Self UR" at the start of the description - this is to tell other editors that it's a reminder and not to attempt to fix the UR.

It can take a little while for new URs to show up; sometimes it just takes a few minutes or sometimes it might take a day or two.

Incidentally, if you do ever close a UR, please add a note to it first. This is for the benefit of the original reporter (if it wasn't you) or for the benefit of another editor who might be following the UR, so they can see what you did to fix the problem (it can be useful for them to learn) and so that they know they don't need to worry about it any more. Something like one of these:

"Thanks for your report of an incorrect junction near Durrow. We've just fixed the problem by changing the junction layout and it should show up in the next few days"
or:
"Thanks for your report of a missing road in Portarlington. Unfortunately we were unable to fix the problem and we didn't get any further information about it within 30 days, so we have to close it now."

Finally, if you come across a UR created by somebody else and you want to fix it but it's not clear what the problem is and you need more information, try something like:

"Hi - this is a volunteer map editor. Thanks for your report of a missing road in Tullamore. We can't work out where the missing road was, so can you explain where the it is?"

...and then if there's no reply within 30 days and it's still not clear what the problem was, you can close the UR as "not identified".

Obviously you can adjust the messages to suit yourself. The idea is to communicate with reporters and other editors - it's great for reporters to get feedback that somebody is looking into their problem, and it's good for editors to talk to each other and to learn from each other.

++David

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby davidg666 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Laois-JMC wrote:Sorry.........just noticed the editable areas layer.........and the switch to turn on and off messages etc.

Aha - sounds like you need to go for a drive :)

(I've found in the past that you can create a road inside your editable area and can then drag the end of it outside your editable area, but you can't create new junctions outside your editable area. Maybe that's what happened with some of your junctions)

About the messages: I've only ever seen more than one or two other editors in there at once, so I'm not sure how much use it is in a small country like ours with only a few editors. However, see this post about using Google Hangouts for editors here; it has the advantage that it remembers chat history, so you don't have to be online or in the editors to talk to other editors. It hasn't had much use yet, but that's no reason not to start.

++David

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby davidg666 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Joe,
Laois-JMC wrote:Hi. I'm working away here adding in roads. Just wondering why I'm continuously getting Saving Errors. I have to delete my additions and add smaller sections. It's a major pain in the ass..........

I think yesterday there were some problems with the editor, but they should be resolved today. I find that sometimes there are problems with the editor that go away again after a few hours.

One thing you can try when you get saving errors is just to hit save again and see if it succeeds this time. Another option is to undo the last change, try again, then undo the next change after that and try again, and keep undoing and retrying - although I've had mixed results with doing this. It's also annoying to have to remember what you've undone and do that again after the save succeeds.

How many edits do you typically make before hitting save? I rarely let that number get above 10, so if I'm doing something like adding (for example) a housing estate, I might create four or five roads, then hit save, then fix up the turn restrictions, then hit save, then name the roads, then hit save again. That way if one save gives an error, at least you have some of the work saved. Reloading the editor in your browser can sometimes sort things out too.

Sometimes the errors are at the other end. Sometimes these are transient errors and sometimes they last for a few hours and affect many editors all around the world. Of course, the more editors that are affected, the more people will notice and the quicker staff in Waze HQ will notice. The weekend where Waze HQ is is on Friday and Saturday though, so issues are probably less like to get fixed quickly on these days.

++David

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Adding new roads in my area and editing existing roads.

Postby Laois-JMC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Hello, I'm new to Waze but have done quite a bit of mapping in OSM. Just wondering what is the story with adding new roads. I added some this evening but at the other end of the road, the location is completely incorrect. What do I do in a case like this?
Laois-JMC

Postby Laois-JMC » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:54 am

Thanks David,
I was having difficulty in trying "join" to existing road at a junction. As I say, I did huge parts of Laois in OSM some years ago but just taking me a while to adjust to the waze set up. I'm attaching an example where I create the road. The junction where I need to connect to is in the fields. I cannot repair the existing road so do I join it in the fields or leave my road where it should be. I was having difficulty in setting the turn restrictions (which in most cases where I'm mapping do not exist). I tried reading up some stuff on the guides but was getting stuck and as I was going to be joining up to roads that were incorrect in first place I gave up.
https://www.waze.com/en-GB/editor?env=r ... 414&zoom=4
Laois-JMC

Postby Laois-JMC » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks for that Dave. Makes sense. I see where you modified the road. It appears that I do not have permission to modify roads that were created by someone else. What do I do in this case? I'd imagine that if you were to be contacted to modify any errors, you wouldn't be long getting fed up of it.
Also, another thing. I added a few General Map Errors via the app while driving along. These were mainly to remind myself to fix these at a later stage. Is this ok? For some reason, I can't see them when I log in online but yesterday I could see the ones I created then. Once I fixed the error, I marked them as solved so that someone else didn't have to check it out.

Joe.
Laois-JMC

Postby Laois-JMC » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks........
One last question, I promise.......
See the link https://www.waze.com/en-GB/editor?env=r ... =282106095

I created the L5805. I modified the road below it as in tidied it up closer to the satelite image. The end of the road is not in correct place because the junction with the road heading north is not aligned correctly. When I try drag this road to correct location, I'm told that I can only edit in an area I've driven in. I'm trying to join up this road to the one coming in at the North ans also realign this section. Am I only permitted to edit/create roads directly beside a road I've driven on.

Joe.
Laois-JMC

Postby Laois-JMC » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am

Sorry.........just noticed the editable areas layer.........and the switch to turn on and off messages etc.
Laois-JMC

Next

Return to Ireland