Google Maps traffic data in Waze

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Google Maps traffic data in Waze

Postby alexxys » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:06 am

Copying the Hangout conversation to continue it here:

Aleksandr
Hi guys!
I would like to discuss the problem with poor traffic data In Waze in Ireland/Dublin
Everybody knows that Waze live traffic coverage in Ireland is very scarce and that's why Waze cannot often route you around traffic congestions. The Russian city where I'm from had the same issue in the past. Low number of users, poor live traffic coverage, sub-optimal routes. But the situation improved dramatically some time ago, because Waze started using traffic data from Google Maps. Now Waze shows all the traffic jams, makes very accurate arrival time ETAs, and suggests very good routes around traffic jams during rush hours.
I'm wondering whether it's possible/planned for Ireland as well to use Google Maps traffic data. It would be a huge improvement for Waze. Does anybody know anything about that?
Can we ask the Waze representatives about such traffic data exchange?

Tim
Yes, we can probably talk to Waze about getting this traffic data from Google, that is a) if they don't already and b) if Google has any...
Maybe @David could email HQ about it?
(Shira is back next month...)

David
aside from using Google traffic date, compare the peak number of Waze users in Dublin (max of 300 at a time): http://wazestats.com/active.php?city=27 ) to a larger city (for example London - max 40,000 (!) at a time - http://wazestats.com/active.php?city=16 )
anyway, yes, I'll certainly contact Waze HQ and ask about it
however, it wouldn't surprise me if Waze is already getting traffic data from Google. Our problem could be that Dublin is a relatively small city (so not much data from either Waze or Google users) but also big enough to have serious traffic
alexxys

Re: Google Maps traffic data in Waze

Postby alexxys » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 am

I doubt that Waze uses Google Maps data in Ireland. I was comparing Waze and Google Maps many times in Dublin. Waze sees only a tiny fraction of the traffic congestion that Google Maps sees. So I have a big hope that Waze routing can be improved dramatically here because I already saw such a dramatic improvement in the city I'm from.
alexxys

Postby davidg666 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:26 am

alexxys wrote:I doubt that Waze uses Google Maps data in Ireland. I was comparing Waze and Google Maps many times in Dublin. Waze sees only a tiny fraction of the traffic congestion that Google Maps sees. So I have a big hope that Waze routing can be improved dramatically here because I already saw such a dramatic improvement in the city I'm from.

Thanks Aleksandr.

I've just emailed our contact in Waze HQ to ask about this. Can you say what city in Russia you're from? Does it appear here, or does it have a much higher population compared to Dublin? It'd be interesting to know whether Waze shows a better view of traffic congestion just because there are more users there.

I'll let you know what we hear back from Waze HQ.

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby alexxys » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:33 pm

It's the city of Krasnodar. It doesn't appear in the Active Wazers statistics.
It has roughly the same population as Dublin, about one million. The city always had the same problem in Waze as Dublin: low number of users (and mappers) and as a result, too little traffic information and sub-optimal routing during peak hours. Then one or two years ago I noticed that traffic coverage increased very much. For example the city center was looking almost completely red during peak hours. And the streets were really congested exactly as Waze was showing. It was looking as if the number of active Waze users increase by several orders of magnitude.
I asked a local Waze champ what happened that the number of users increased so quickly and so much. He said that Waze started importing traffic data from Google Maps. So it's not direct information from Waze. It may be not 100% correct. But it was looking exactly like traffic data import from Google Maps. It's unrealistic that the number of users just increased naturally like that.
alexxys

Postby alexxys » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Even the capital of Russia (Moscow with 12 million population) has quite low number of users: up to 800. Extrapolating that number to Krasnodar, I think the number of users in Krasnodar is even lower than in Dublin (which is up to 300)
alexxys

Postby lsin023 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:20 am

Hi guys,
You might be interested by a discussion started a while ago and how real-time traffic data and Google Traffic are sourced, see here.
It would be great if Waze can add the Google traffic data as suggested especially as it does not seem to have any CCP programs with Irish authorities about sharing data, am I wrong David? :roll:
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davidg666 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:03 am

lsin023 wrote:It would be great if Waze can add the Google traffic data as suggested especially as it does not seem to have any CCP programs with Irish authorities about sharing data, am I wrong David? :roll:

You're right - we don't have a CCP programme to connect Waze with Dublin (and vice versa) ... I do have the name of a couple of people in Dublin City Council though and a conversation *had* been started a while ago to get them involved, but I think that fizzled out...

So it would be worth trying to kickstart that again.

++David

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby alexxys » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi David. Any news from Waze HQ?
alexxys

Postby davidg666 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 am

alexxys wrote:Hi David. Any news from Waze HQ?

Err, no - sorry. I think our community contact has changed from one person to the other over the last few weeks, so I'll contact the new person - I think my request probably got lost during the transition.

++David

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby davidg666 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:32 am

alexxys wrote:Hi David. Any news from Waze HQ?

Good news; just in from HQ:

Waze HQ wrote:We enabled the google traffic data for Ireland now, by next week you will see more jams on the map and better ETA.

If you see examples for bad/ fake jams please share with us and attach:

Screen shots, permalink, user name, time and date.

So let us know how it works out - and as the message mentions, send on the details for any issues.

++David

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Next

Return to Ireland