Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:Good news.. myself, @davidg666, and @cw1998 have now editing rights for the Irish Wazeopedia!
[...]
Edit: I don't seem to be able to create a page yet though, so I've asked the question. Do you see the same message?
Yes, I see the same message - so no idea how to actually create or edit the 'real' page. What's the '...Commons...' page? It looks like a copy of our original wiki page.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
cw1998 wrote:I can see it!
Me too!

I guess our original wiki pages didn't make it across? If not, I guess we could start by copying their content then updating to reflect any changes since they were last updated (such as the use of ">" in ramp names)

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
cw1998 wrote:So I guess then the editors of the wiki can just get started with whatever they want to work on then check back here for clarification on structure and content?
Yes, but within reason: A wiki is designed to be editable by a number of people, so the end result is a collaboration.

However, in this case the wiki is documenting what the Ireland editing community and CMs have decided to adopt for local editing policies and so on. CMs almost never make up new policies out of nowhere: for almost anything related to how we do things in Ireland, we've started with a forum post asking for opinions that (sometimes) triggers a discussion as to how to do things. This was happening long before we had local management and our own CMs: if you look back a few years here in the forum, you'll see somebody asking a question about (for example) how we should name roads, and then a debate between a few people that eventually became a policy.

I *think* I created the first Ireland wiki page, but it was labelled clearly as a draft until it looked like we'd agreed we had a consensus, then the draft label was taken off.
cw1998 wrote:Or do the CMs have a plan somewhere with what pages are going to go where?
Haha - you've seen the planning "process" in action now :)

As always: for anything that's not already written down on the existing wiki pages:
  1. see if the UK wazeopedia pages cover the issue and if it sounds applicable to Ireland too.
  2. if the UK pages don't mention it, see if the global pages cover it instead.
  3. if the UK or global pages don't cover it, then ask the CMs or (better still) start a forum thread here to talk about it.
  4. if you want, for something new, write a paragraph in the wiki, but mark it clearly as a draft until it's been discussed and agreed on in the forum and/or by the CMs. It's probably better to start with a forum post, but if you think we seem have a local convention for doing things that's not documented anywhere, then write it down. That way we have a resource we can point new editors at who might need guidance on (for example) how find resources on speed limit changes.
++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:Bumping this thread.

Roads section has been transferred from wiki (and updated where it had to).
Nice - was that a straight copy-and-paste?

I guess https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/How_to_label ... _(Ireland) needs something similar.

I'll try to find the time to go through both and bring them up-to-date with what we currently do. I'll also add what's missing (such as ramp naming) and then go through the document I wrote for our UK colleagues and see if there's anything in there that needs to be added too.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:
davidg666 wrote: Nice - was that a straight copy-and-paste?
Yes but not 100%. Tables are a pain - couldn't find a way to paste the whole thing in so I had to go cell by cell. Also, I can't find a way to resize the columns.
I noticed that ... there must be a way to tweak them. I worked it out: this page is a pretty handy reference for editing the source, which was necessary for setting the column widths for that table.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
davidg666 wrote:I'll try to find the time to go through both and bring them up-to-date with what we currently do. I'll also add what's missing (such as ramp naming) and then go through the document I wrote for our UK colleagues and see if there's anything in there that needs to be added too.
I forgot to mention (about ten days ago now) that I've done quite a lot of work updating what's there and adding what's missing.

I imagine there are still things that are missing as well as plenty of shortcomings in terms of what I've done. In particular, I've drawn from several sources, so there's probably a lot of duplication.

All comments welcome!

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by lsin023
davidg666 wrote: Funny: the abbreviations on the Ireland wiki page came directly from the same source as the UK abbreviations and was dependent on that TTS does - so any difference in practice is more a matter of unconscious habit than anything else.
Following discussions here, changes and corrections were made on both abbreviations and TTS. Wiki pages were updated accordingly too.
cw1998 wrote:Like with everything else at Waze HQ, if migrating is going to take a long time, it might be faster just to rewrite those pages :lol:
davidg666 wrote: It's worth writing down some other stuff that we do but have never documented
Great! It may also be worth giving some more general information about typical things to watch out for (such as speed limit changes on particaularly bad corners).
I would suggest that we review UK Editing Policies and Guidelines and create a similar thread. It's clear and complete. Afterwards, we can create our Wazeopedia from it.
(Our Wiki shut down before we had the time to complete it! :roll: )
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Hey Chris, I am going to send an email to HQ tonight.
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... r-N-N5.gif
Coordinator & Booster for Cyprus | CM for Ireland | GC for the entire world

Post by YanisKyr
Just a heads-up; some progress was made and from my understanding, only the final step is pending. HQ will make me an admin for the IE page, and I will then be able to add anyone as an editor.
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by YanisKyr
Good news.. myself, @davidg666, and @cw1998 have now editing rights for the Irish Wazeopedia!

Any questions you'd like me to forward to the HQ, let me know.

(we have also requested @arthurohara and @lsin023 but you guys have to log-in at least one time before the system allows me give you editing rights).

Edit: I don't seem to be able to create a page yet though, so I've asked the question. Do you see the same message?
YanisKyr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message