Permanent traffic jam

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, arthurohara, davidg666

Permanent traffic jam

Postby karl_db » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Hi,

This is Priory Grove in Stillorgan / Blackrock. It is almost always in a traffic jam according to Waze. However, this is wrong. It is a small, quiet estate that does not get traffic build-up. Morning, noon and night it shows heavy traffic. Surely this cannot be down to a single Waze user.
Attachments
Priory Grove.jpg
(86.08 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
karl_db

Re: Permanent traffic jam

Postby YanisKyr » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:19 am

This sounds odd, I'm looking at this now and there is no traffic at the moment. Have you observed this over a few days and different times?

Linking for reference:

WME: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... s=58436350

Livemap: https://www.waze.com/ul?ll=53.29351000% ... es&zoom=17
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby karl_db » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:29 pm

It comes and goes throughout the day. I just left for work today (Sunday ) at about 1715 and it was showing a traffic jam there.
karl_db

Postby davidg666 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:49 am

I've seen a location near here before with inexplicable traffic while passing by on the N11. This road also showed up a few months ago with frequent traffic "jams". I can't remember if it was a thread here, a UR or a conversation elsewhere, but I think we speculated at the time that it might have been caused by a user who lives there and doesn't bother shutting down Waze properly on their phone, therefore creating the impression to Waze that there's a car stopped a lot of the time.

GPS tracks in WME don't show very much.

We *could* try deleting and re-creating the segment, just to rule out any oddity related to the map. In fact, I'll do that right now ... done! Let's see if that makes any difference.

I do notice a fair amount of traffic (in the WME GPS tracks view) on on Priory Dr and Priory Ave - maybe a lot of it was getting routed along Priory Grove to avoid this traffic and was thus creating its own traffic jam. If this turns out to be still a problem, we could try some kind of hack to discourage routing along this segment. Maybe even make it a Private Street so that only traffic with a destination on that road gets routed onto it, but nothing ever get routed through it it.

Anyway, let's keep an eye on this after the next time update and see if anything changes.

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Return to Ireland