Housing estate roads naming

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Housing estate roads naming

Postby YanisKyr » Sun May 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Nowadays many estates have streets named as "The Green" or "The Park" and this induces a difficulty when users search for their destination. The results are often vague, and sometimes in the wrong estate or the wrong city. Also, this often means the estate name is nowhere to be seen on the map.

My suggestion is to adopt a naming convention as "[estate name] Green" or "[estate name] Pk". For the above examples, if the estate is called Limestone Village, the street would be named "Limestone Village Green" or "Limestone Village Pk".

What are your thoughts?
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:41 am
Location: Ashbourne, Ireland
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Housing estate roads naming

Postby davidg666 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 am

YanisKyr wrote:Nowadays many estates have streets named as "The Green" or "The Park" and this induces a difficulty when users search for their destination. The results are often vague, and sometimes in the wrong estate or the wrong city. Also, this often means the estate name is nowhere to be seen on the map.

My suggestion is to adopt a naming convention as "[estate name] Green" or "[estate name] Pk". For the above examples, if the estate is called Limestone Village, the street would be named "Limestone Village Green" or "Limestone Village Pk".

What are your thoughts?


I agree this habit by unimaginative developers is a problem, but what about the common practice of naming estate roads after trees - such as "The Oaks", "The Maples", "The Sycamores", etc? Although this kind of naming is a problem when people are trying to get to "23 The Maples", don't you think street names get clumsy if they're called something like "Athlumney Abbey Park Sycamores"?

What I've tended to do lately is name the first segment into an estate the same as the estate name and then name the individual sections within the estate the same as their actual street name. That helps with directions, but it's still not much help for people working from an address that just has a number and a street name - although have you thought about what happens when somebody has an address like "23 The Maples" and all they can find in Waze is "23 Athlumney Park Maples".

I'm leaning towards the current practice of just giving streets their normal name, and relying on the fact that Waze will show the city name in search results (assuming streets have the correct city name set and that there aren't two or more estates in any given town/city with the same boring street names).

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Wicklow, Ireland
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: Housing estate roads naming

Postby YanisKyr » Mon May 13, 2019 9:04 am

It's not very often that you'd see estate names with more than 2 words tbh - have you bumped on any name-trains caused by this practice?

I'd see Maples/Oaks/Sycamores etc merge in the same way as Citywest Village Maples and so on.

In order to cover search results for "23 The Maples", we can add that as an alternative name? So primary Citywest Village Maples and alternative The Maples. Can't think of any examples right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more than one "The Maples" with the same city.

PS: another challenge I thought of but luckily never bumped on is to have an estate with a common street extension in it's name, and a street with the same extension. E.g. "Castlewellan Park" with a road called Park (Castlewellan Park Pk). Thank god :D Usually these are rather small, and all road segments are called Castlewellan Pk.
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:41 am
Location: Ashbourne, Ireland
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Housing estate roads naming

Postby davidg666 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm

YanisKyr wrote:It's not very often that you'd see estate names with more than 2 words tbh - have you bumped on any name-trains caused by this practice?

I'd see Maples/Oaks/Sycamores etc merge in the same way as Citywest Village Maples and so on.

In order to cover search results for "23 The Maples", we can add that as an alternative name? So primary Citywest Village Maples and alternative The Maples. Can't think of any examples right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more than one "The Maples" with the same city.

PS: another challenge I thought of but luckily never bumped on is to have an estate with a common street extension in it's name, and a street with the same extension. E.g. "Castlewellan Park" with a road called Park (Castlewellan Park Pk). Thank god :D Usually these are rather small, and all road segments are called Castlewellan Pk.

How about we give this a trial run: do you know of an estate with this kind of problem near where you often go? Try renaming the segments in that estate the way you suggest and then try navigating to street there and see how it feels, what the TTS ends up saying, and what shows up on the phone screen - does it feel clumsy or usable? Are the search results a user might get more sensible than they would have been without this change?

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Wicklow, Ireland
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: Housing estate roads naming

Postby YanisKyr » Wed May 22, 2019 11:20 pm

I started applying this to Semple Woods in Donabate the other day, but turns out the app won't show street names (probably the streets are private). So I went looking, and there is an estate where this has already been applied to - Hansfield Wood in Ongar.

Navigating to this area works great, search results are accurate with both (e.g.) "Hansfield Wood Pk" and "The Park, Hansfield Wood", the phone screen isn't cluttered, and TTS pronounces streets just fine.

Livemap: https://www.waze.com/en-GB/livemap?lon= ... .43464625#

WME: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... 927&zoom=5

[ img ]
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:41 am
Location: Ashbourne, Ireland
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Housing estate roads naming

Postby davidg666 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:11 am

YanisKyr wrote:...So I went looking, and there is an estate where this has already been applied to - Hansfield Wood in Ongar.

Navigating to this area works great, search results are accurate with both (e.g.) "Hansfield Wood Pk" and "The Park, Hansfield Wood", the phone screen isn't cluttered, and TTS pronounces streets just fine.

That's looking good. The only thing I'd change is making the first segment of the estate (as you enter from the main road) the same as the name of the estate — "Hansfield Wood" in this case. Then the user gets told to "turn left into Hansfield Wood" (or whatever). That's because many estates have a sign with the name of the entire estate at the entrance.

++David
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Wicklow, Ireland
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: Housing estate roads naming

Postby YanisKyr » Thu May 23, 2019 12:07 pm

Very good point indeed for the fist segment, we should adopt that with a small exception in case there are house numbers on it.

The alternative names in this particular estate were added by another editor (who at the time also created a City called Hansfield Wood). They seem to work better than actual street names during search, which is rather frustrating to say the least!

For the below examples there is no quick results (that display as you type), so you need to hit enter or tap more results.
  • If you type "the lawn hansfield", you get The Lawn, Hansfield Wood as a top result.
  • If you type "Hansfield Wood Lawn", search results return only "Hansfield Wood".
  • If you type "7 Hansfield Wood Lawn", the top result is "7 The Lawn, Hansfield Wood, Dublin 15".
  • Lawn is an example, I experience the same with others I tested like Park and Green.
YanisKyr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:41 am
Location: Ashbourne, Ireland
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 57 times


Return to Ireland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users