Switch to full style
[ img ]
Post a reply

Eircode lookup

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:26 am

Any idea what proportion of users navigate to their destinations by just entering the Eircode of the destination?

I find this pretty handy, but it uses Google Maps to look up the location of the Eircode.

I'm considering asking Waze HQ to support direct lookup of Eircode locations, instead of going through Google Maps. I want to get an idea of how many users use it though. It would cost Waze money to do the direct lookup, so I'd need to convince them that it was very useful to them.

++David

Re: Eircode lookup

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:45 am

Kevintiobraid wrote:I've used Eircodes a couple of times when I've navigated to a house I'm unfamiliar with. Other times I'm travelling for work, so I'll use the company name.
But i'm just a tourist really, it would be interesting to know what Irish users do day to day. In particular taxi drivers, I can imagine that their first question would now be "whats your Eircode" . I guess Uber operates off Eircodes?

I have no idea what Uber does - I don't use it. Here, Uber drivers are always taxi drivers anyway (you need a license (like a taxi or hackney license) to carry people for money - so random people can't be Uber drivers.

I use Eircodes for visiting houses, although, like you, I'd use the business name for a business. I was wondering what regular day-to-day users do though, so we can see if it's worth asking Waze HQ to use direct Eircode lookup instead of going via Google.

++David

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:12 pm

I've used Eircodes a couple of times when I've navigated to a house I'm unfamiliar with. Other times I'm travelling for work, so I'll use the company name.
But i'm just a tourist really, it would be interesting to know what Irish users do day to day. In particular taxi drivers, I can imagine that their first question would now be "whats your Eircode" . I guess Uber operates off Eircodes?

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:41 am

HQ might be able to provide search stats, but they would need the stats anyway in order to evaluate if the fee is worth it.

Let's try and put a draft together, and send on to our Community Coordinator.
Post a reply