COVID-19 won't stop us from holding Online Mega Meetups!

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, YanisKyr, arthurohara, davidg666

Re: COVID-19 won't stop us from holding Online Mega Meetups!

Postby abusimbel16 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:19 pm

I work almost exclusively from the home office and don't really want to sit in a crowded meeting with many people at the moment. I think that's good, forward-looking and important.
abusimbel16
State Manager
State Manager

Postby axel_miami » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:29 am

My business is education, and at first all my clients rushed to online education for fear of the virus. Then they started to become less and less - not everyone can communicate online (this is more a problem of human psychology than a technical aspect).
Now people are tired of sitting in four walls and they strive to go outside. I see from my clients who have begun to massively abandon online and seek to come to study at the office (observing security measures).
Moreover, there was no quarantine in Belarus, everyone worked and work as before.
In Russia, as far as I know, the quarantine was also easy.
For now, the whole problem of the impossibility of meeting is closed borders.
But they also start to open in spite of the second wave of virus!
It's just that the world economy has already collapsed because of all this!!!
As for the meetups of people, I will remind you of the simple physical necessity of personal meetings for the Russian-speaking community, which is probably in our blood!
We tried to do meetups with editors online, we all communicate online every day for years!
Therefore, what we got looks more like a standard workshop rather than a meetup. We've lost many important editors, testers, and script developers. Someone does not support online communication, someone cannot physically (lack of time or technical issues), and someone is tired of online in main activity and does not want to meet online.
In general, globally everyone is already tired of being only online!
My personal opinion is that the proposed format cannot be called a meetup - it is a substitution of concepts!
I respect the opinion of everyone and I will clarify that the above is my personal opinion and it may not reflect the opinion of the Belarusian communities.

But I will repeat once more - in this case, I see a replacement for the concepts of meetup.
Meetup is a personal meeting of people!

Be healthy and take care of yourself!
But beware of general panic and fear - these are tools for managing people.
Country Coordinator: Belarus
Country Manager: Belarus
axel_miami
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby CleitonCasarotto » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:08 pm

I think we have an overschedule in these outbreak times :(
CleitonCasarotto
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CleitonCasarotto » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:25 pm

erznevo wrote:
CleitonCasarotto wrote:I think we have an overschedule in these outbreak times :(

Hi,

We hold a lot of events so that everyone can choose which event is right for them in terms of content and schedule.

Of course, we don’t expect for everyone to attend everything. Regarding the Mega Meetups - I recommend joining as it will be a different event than usual, at a high level and with a lot of fun!

Hi,

I'm not just referring Waze events. I was talking about "these outbreak times" in general. I think everyone is tired of this virtual life. As for the Mega Meetup "I'll be there" for sure. ;)
CleitonCasarotto
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Dutchdirt » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:32 pm

Yes, the time difference between Europe and Oz can be a bit troublesome.
I remember waking up in the middle of the Europe night to attend the memorial gathering at Ituajr Place.
Dutchdirt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands. Editing in The Netherlands & Thailand

COVID-19 won't stop us from holding Online Mega Meetups!

Postby erznevo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:51 pm

español / हिन्दी / português / 官话 / русский / 日本語 / Türkçe / français / Deutsch / italiano / polski / ...

Dear community members,

It's time for our Online Mega Meetups!

Even though we can't currently meet face to face, we're super excited about meeting you online for our traditional Mega Meetups :)
And this year, they're going to be SUPER AWESOME!

If you're a member of the Waze Editors, Beta or Localization Communities, join us for fun presentations, Q&As and more!
You'll also get a chance to chat with staff in the Mega Meetup's Office Hours, where small groups of community members meet staff to discuss a popular Waze topic.

The LATAM and Brazil Meetups will be translated :)

So please SAVE THE DATE:

* LATAM Mega Meetup - September 6th
* Europe Mega Meetup - October 18th * APAC communities are welcome to join!
* Brazil Mega Meetup - November 15th

Mega Meetups 2020.png
(374.55 KiB) Downloaded 965 times

More details will be shared in the coming weeks, stay tuned!

Looking forward to seeing you in an online Mega Meetup,
Erez, on behalf of the Waze Communities Team
erznevo
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby erznevo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:14 pm

top_gun_de wrote:The point of having a meet-up is to meet-up with all the buddies from abroad. Obviously, this does not happen during an online-meetup.

Clearly I won't spend a weekend sitting in my home-office and attending a packed schedule of online-presentations. :-/

Hi,

We definitely do not want you to spend the whole weekend in front of the screen, so we reduced the Meetup which usually took two days to several hours.

We will also share the agenda and if you want you can choose to join certain parts that interest you the most.

We will definitely be happy to meet F2F again as soon as the COVID-19 Pandemic ends.
erznevo
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby erznevo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:22 pm

FokusPokus wrote:It is rather an online event than a meetup. Obviously, it is better than absolutely nothing during pandemic. I hope it won't become a good practice after the Covid.

Online events or conferences are good for one-to-many or several-to-many formats of sharing the information or presenting something. The bigger the audience is the more difficult it becomes to handle Q&A or live conversations. My expectation would be to have an ability to ask questions and see answers in more convenient way than we had before. Please also think about some smaller targeted hands-on or workshop sessions with subject matter experts from Waze side.

Hi,

There is no doubt at all that once COVID-19 is over we hope to return to our beloved face-to-face Meetups!

During this Mega Meetup we will have Office Hours sessions where our staff will be present in four different chat rooms and anyone can sign up and take part in these rooms.

Hope to see you there and get feedback later. :)
erznevo
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby erznevo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:35 pm

axel_miami wrote:My business is education, and at first all my clients rushed to online education for fear of the virus. Then they started to become less and less - not everyone can communicate online (this is more a problem of human psychology than a technical aspect).
Now people are tired of sitting in four walls and they strive to go outside. I see from my clients who have begun to massively abandon online and seek to come to study at the office (observing security measures).
Moreover, there was no quarantine in Belarus, everyone worked and work as before.
In Russia, as far as I know, the quarantine was also easy.
For now, the whole problem of the impossibility of meeting is closed borders.
But they also start to open in spite of the second wave of virus!
It's just that the world economy has already collapsed because of all this!!!
As for the meetups of people, I will remind you of the simple physical necessity of personal meetings for the Russian-speaking community, which is probably in our blood!
We tried to do meetups with editors online, we all communicate online every day for years!
Therefore, what we got looks more like a standard workshop rather than a meetup. We've lost many important editors, testers, and script developers. Someone does not support online communication, someone cannot physically (lack of time or technical issues), and someone is tired of online in main activity and does not want to meet online.
In general, globally everyone is already tired of being only online!
My personal opinion is that the proposed format cannot be called a meetup - it is a substitution of concepts!
I respect the opinion of everyone and I will clarify that the above is my personal opinion and it may not reflect the opinion of the Belarusian communities.

But I will repeat once more - in this case, I see a replacement for the concepts of meetup.
Meetup is a personal meeting of people!

Be healthy and take care of yourself!
But beware of general panic and fear - these are tools for managing people.

vladimobile wrote:looking for the 'thumbs down' reaction... fail.
'meetup not recognised' exception thrown.
restarting...
:lol:

Honestly, guys. Am I the only one thinking such 'meetups' are complete mockery? ;) Just stop calling them meetups and it'll be fine.

Sorry, could not resist :oops:

Hi,

We really can relate to this sentiment. We’re all spending more time online and on video calls due to COVID restrictions in many countries and indeed at times it can lead to an online fatigue.

Right now when the sky is closed we can not meet face to face, even though we’d really like to! Of course an online version of a meet up can never replace the experience of us meeting, learning, eating, drinking and laughing together.

Until we can renew the F2F Meetups it is still important for us to be in touch and keep you updated. Despite our physical distance we hope we can make the online events as personal and fun as possible over an online medium.

I sincerely hope we can meet soon and this style of online events will remain as an add-on and not in place of the original events.
erznevo
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby erznevo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:38 pm

Dutchdirt wrote:Yes, the time difference between Europe and Oz can be a bit troublesome.
I remember waking up in the middle of the Europe night to attend the memorial gathering at Ituajr Place.

LysdexiaEht wrote:Will the Europe meetup be at a reasonable hour? APAC is typically on the other side of the world from Europe (mostly +8 to +12 hrs GMT) so holding it earlier in the day (say 8am GMT) will help us join in during our evenings instead of having to make an attempt at waking up at 2am.

Hi,

Europe's Mega Meetup will be adjusted to Europe's time zone.

As there is currently no Mega Meetup planned for APAC, we invite them to join:)

Hope to see you there! :)
erznevo
Waze Team
Waze Team

Next

Return to Ireland