Wiki updating consensus 4: road levels

Post by davidg666
[I plan to update some parts of the Ireland section of the wiki in the near future - but before I do that, I hope to discuss the changes first in case there's any disagreement, since some of the changes I propose haven't been covered before and I think different editors amongst have different ways of doing things]

Fourth: Road levels:
  1. Road levels: The only purpose of a road level is to indicate (on the client) where one road crosses another (on a bridge) and shouldn't affect routing in any way. Consequently, all roads can be left at their default level of 0 unless a small section needs to be changed - for example, where it crosses a motorway, or as part of a motorway intersection.
that's it; your remarks please...

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by bprob
Should we try to mirror reality with levels anyway so that the map is ready to go should Waze ever wish to use that information in the client app?
bprob
Send a message
Area Manager, Cork City
Administering @WazeIreland twitter account
https://twitter.com/WazeIreland

Post by davidg666
dmcconachie wrote:I'm not even sure it reflects like that on the client anymore. In their current incarnation (who knows when waze will redeploy the data field as something else) they are pretty much inert!
Timbones wrote:As Darren says above, levels are actually useless and not even used by the map rendering.
Oh, I agree - I'm not sure that I've ever seen roads being drawn on top of each other according to their level in the client - but I have seen mutterings elsewhere on the forum that they *should*.

That notwithstanding, the only reason I wrote about road levels is that, in some parts of Ireland, I've seen what looks like editors very carefully setting road levels according to their perceived importance, so that minor roads attached to major roads get a -1, and even more minor roads get a -2. Perhaps this is in the belief that the level affects the routing algorithm; I'm not sure.

In any case, tweaking the levels of road segments with no useful effect is probably a waste of editing time that could be put to better use elsewhere. Oh, and my OCD side likes everything to be neat and tidy - which means level zero for all segments except where they cross at different levels. :)

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
bprob wrote:Should we try to mirror reality with levels anyway so that the map is ready to go should Waze ever wish to use that information in the client app?
I think we should, yes. It certainly doesn't hurt.

That's what I tend to do when I go through the map cleaning up; if I see a road crossing a motorway (for example), I make sure that the motorway is at level zero and the part of the road that crosses the motorway is at level 1 - and I try to keep complex motorway interchanges "correct" in terms of levels (which is a bit hard around Dublin where the satellite imagery is about seven years old and many of the M50 interchanges have been completely rebuilt, but that's beside the point).

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I'm not even sure it reflects like that on the client anymore. In their current incarnation (who knows when waze will redeploy the data field as something else) they are pretty much inert!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by jasonh300
dmcconachie wrote:I'm not even sure it reflects like that on the client anymore. In their current incarnation (who knows when waze will redeploy the data field as something else) they are pretty much inert!
It doesn't, and I've complained and presented examples and they've acknowledged that it doesn't work the way it should.

I wouldn't discount it completely, in case they ever get it working for display purposes. I get URs at one spot because its obviously wrong on the client and makes reading the map a rather confusing experience.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
bprob wrote:Should we try to mirror reality with levels anyway so that the map is ready to go should Waze ever wish to use that information in the client app?
That would be my suggestion. It's shouldn't be something you have to do often. If you use the "bridge" function, it does it automatically.

I intend to keep complaining about it until they make it work properly
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Timbones
As Darren says above, levels are actually useless and not even used by the map rendering.

Move along. :)

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries