Who Sucked the Irish Sea Dry (Landmark)

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, arthurohara, davidg666

Re: Who Sucked the Irish Sea Dry (Landmark)

Postby davidg666 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:48 pm

iainhouse wrote:OK, I've just taken a turn around the Irish coast (nice time of night for a cruise!).

I've locked all the sea landmark where I can, but I did not have permission for these ones:
[...]
That list does come from a complete circumnavigation, so it's no surprise that I can't touch some of them, but they are all still unlocked.

Thanks Iain. I locked one of the ones you provided a link to, and Arthur seems to have got one of the others. I don't have permission to modify any of the others - Waze must consider them to be outside Irish territory, so I expect they would need somebody to drive over them (somehow) or have AM rights overlapping them to lock them. Waze's ideas of country borders seems a bit fuzzy at best - I don't see why they can't have coastal borders extending a lot further out to sea in cases (like this) where there's just a big ocean/

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby arthurohara » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:32 am

:lol: "The waters came together again" That east wind has dissipated!

The Irish Sea landmark has been reinstated. Just hope we haven't infringed on territorial limits and fishing rights ;)

Landmarks are important in the whole wide arena of Waze.

Good luck (Ádh mór oraibh)
arthurohara
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby iainhouse » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:01 pm

iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Dave2084 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 pm

davidg666 wrote:So any of the UK L5 editors watching this: can you L5-lock the bits of sea around Northern Ireland?

I'll take a look tomorrow.
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby davidg666 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Alright - I've L5-locked all existing bits of sea I could find (mostly off the south, west and north coasts). Anybody who wants to refine the details of them is just going to have to ask for an unlock.

I spent hours a few months ago getting the south edge of Galway bay just right; I'd hate to have lost that (although the newer satellite images show that it's all about 20m off to one side. Oh well)

There are a couple of bits of Atlantic Ocean around the Aran Islands I can't lock - they must be outside Waze's idea of what the country borders are. Arthur, can you lock these?

So any of the UK L5 editors watching this: can you L5-lock the bits of sea around Northern Ireland?

Next time I'm feeling very patient I might start to fill in the Irish Sea again, if somebody else doesn't get there before me :)

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Dave2084 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:59 pm

I've locked some of what was left as I spent weeks doing the Cornish coastline ... be WME keeps giving me errors.
Dave2084
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby bprob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:23 pm

It's a new promotional drive for "The Gathering"
bprob

Postby dknight212 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:13 pm

I can try (just hope it wasn't me ...)

David/Moses
dknight212

Postby davidg666 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:10 pm

arthurohara wrote:Looks like Moses was in action - the parting of the waters between ourselves and GB!

Maybe it has dried up!

Anyone know why the Irish Sea landmark segments were deleted, by whom and for what reason?

I noticed this too over the last day or so (and yet, the physical sea is definitely still there :) ) - some other seaside landmarks seem to be missing too (I think the strand at Bray in Co Wicklow had its own landmark before).

I can only assume some possibly well-meaning but otherwise misguided editor did it, then noticed their mistake and decided to keep quiet about it :( - I hope it wasn't a vandal of some kind, although if it was, they could probably have done much worse damage; annoying though it is, at least this is a cosmetic issue and won't affect routing.

I recommend locking the remaining sea/ocean landmarks off the south and west costs at level 5. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way of identifying who has deleted something.

EDIT: Moses: you're a Waze Champ. Do you have any contact in Waze HQ who can identify the deleter of removed objects - or even, if possible, to restore them. Given that this is mostly just one landmark (or possibly a couple) it might be easier to identify than a whole pile of deleted roads (for example).

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby dknight212 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:11 am

I noticed this when I was editing in North Cornwall yesterday. I'm pretty sure it wasn't me but you never know.

Moses
dknight212

Previous

Return to Ireland