Post by davidg666
DiarmuidCogan wrote:I'll have to apply for AM status then, shall I? :)
Go for it! I think bprob, zzemca and maxkappell all have decent-sized AM areas down your way, but the more active and competent AMs we have in Ireland the better, I reckon. (and AM areas can overlap too; nobody has a monopoly over any particular area)

Some of the larger countries are self-managed for approval of AMs, but we're still small enough that AM applications are handled centrally by Waze. I never had any problem getting any of my AM areas approved - I just put in the application and the AM area showed up within a couple of days.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
marlow925 wrote:I find plenty of police and camera van spots marked as speed cameras on my travels and it's rather annoying.

Simply because they only are there occasionally. They really only should be flagged as police visible or police invisible, but never as regular speedcams.

There's very few fixed speedcams in the Republic simply because they usually get torched :) And a lot of the ones, that still are in existance, haven't worked in years.
There are no longer any working speed cameras anywhere in Ireland (south of the border :) ) and any that show up on the map should be deleted.

Arthur O'Hara went to the trouble of calling the NRA to find out this useful fact. See this thread here elsewhere in the Ireland forum: https://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 19&t=46335

Places where camera vans tend to be found or where the Gardai commonly have speed traps should not be marked as speed cameras. The police (visible or invisible) reports can be used, although these don't stick around for long. If you see any speed cameras on the Ireland map, then go ahead and delete them (we can change this policy if fixed cameras ever show up again).

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
CTCNetwork wrote:A small contribution so I hope you don't mind.. :)
Contributions always welcome!
CTCNetwork wrote:What is the "Speed Camera" alert for? To let us know that there is a "safety" camera there so we can slow down prior to capture.
In the Uk certainly,this is almost now irrelevant (with proviso) in some areas as they use average speed cameras. So if you have been speeding between two paired cameras, you're caught no mater whether you slow down for the second or not. The ONLY safe way is to maintain the limit and maybe a little more for speed.
I am not sure whether you have these beauties in Ireland yet, but I am sure you will at some point. I'm sorry. :(
We don't have those - not yet, anyway - but I think they are under consideration.
CTCNetwork wrote:So, should an occasional camera (Van, gardai whatever) be mapped. Theoretically no as it is not always there.
But people who don't have local knowledge won't know that a spot is popular for catching those who are going too fast (for whatever reason). Why shouldn't they get the benefit of local knowledge and have the camera on the map?
Those who know and carry on speeding if sure there is no manned presence, those who don't can slow down accordingly.

I know that turning off the speed cam layer does nothing to stop the warning pop-ups! Pointless!

I know I mapped a spot near me which had regular speed cam vans parked on the pavement. Since being mapped the regularity of their visits has dropped. Not seen it for over 6 months now... So maybe there is an advantage to mapping them?
If Waze had a means of alerting based on locations where a speed trap (whether a van or a garda presence) *might* sometimes be found, *and* that could be turned off, then I would support this.

However, I find frequent popups quite annoying, especially when there often isn't anything at the location. There are also supposedly something like 600 locations where camera vans can be found around Ireland. If every single one of these triggered an alarm that couldn't be turned off, then I definitely wouldn't support this.

Summary: if (and only if) Waze would support alerts that could be turned off of places where vans and/or speed traps might be found, then I'd support that. With what Waze does right now, I definitely don't support mapping these locations as speed cameras.

I do think that, assuming these things are designed to encourage safer driving (rather than gathering revenue), knowledge of speed cameras is a good thing, because it should slow people down. This also assumes speed limits are set intelligently. That's a separate debate, however, and outside of Waze.

++David \ davidg66
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
This is a particular bugbear of mine. The number of times I've clicked "not there" is ridiculous. There's one by the Jack Lynch Tunnel and it still won't go away. How many not there clicks does it take to kill the damn thing?

I flag the vans as visible police. Ok, the notification expires after an hour but the vans don't stick around all day either.
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
Thanks, David.

I've deleted a few cameras around the Cork area but can't delete the one by the JLT as it has been approved by Arthur. I asked him to remove it a few days ago but it's still there. It's not a GoSafe spot and the Garda presence is rare and usually on the other carriageway so the camera warning is of little value.
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
Thanks David & Timbones.

I'll have to apply for AM status then, shall I? :)
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
The AM request link is to a US AM form, is that applicable to Ireland too?
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DiarmuidCogan
Thanks Timbones,

It seemed a little odd... :)
DiarmuidCogan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by eoghanm
Ive been using Waze since September, but have only started looking at these forums in the last few days. I have marked quite a few speed vans as cameras, because I thought that's what it was for. It wasn't until I came on here that I learned that the icon is for fixed cameras. So dont get too impatient with us n00bs :)
eoghanm
Send a message

Post by iainhouse
Is this the camera you mean? Although it doesn't quite match any of the models I've seen in the UK, I would say it is a red light camera with 100% certainty!

In the UK, the law requires warning signs about speed cameras & RLCs to be placed in the area and speed cameras nearly all have a small sign with a speed limit sign directly before them. Speed cameras also have to be "obvious", which is why they all have yellow backs or fronts facing the oncoming traffic. I did look a way up the road approaching the junction but didn't see any signs - but I have no idea about the Irish laws governing speed cameras.

I believe it is quite permissible to look on Google Street View to see if a camera is there - always bearing in mind that the images may be out of date. But once a camera has been installed at considerable cost, it is unlikely to be removed. I have seen the occasional post for a Gatso speed camera with no camera on it any more, but I have only ever seen one post completely removed. It may no longer be used, but the only way to be sure is to try jumping the red light and see what happens! :lol:
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season