Local road numbering

Post by rolika78
Hi lads,

I did saw recently, that the council guys are putting up LXXX number tables to the smaller country roads. (at least in Co. Cork) Do ye have any idea where can I source info on the new numbering system?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
rolika78

POSTER_ID:1883619

Send a message
Roland
[img]https:///pcdMH[/img] VW Polo https://images.spritmonitor.de/441781.png
HTC One

Post by bprob
OSI maps on sale don't list L roads unfortunately.
Am running into the same problems myself
bprob
Send a message
Area Manager, Cork City
Administering @WazeIreland twitter account
https://twitter.com/WazeIreland

Post by bprob
llayden wrote:The L numbering system is not new but it is unevenly observed by county councils. I don't think its that useful for naming roads in Waze though - nobody knows these numbers even for the roads they live on. Most Sat Navs don't use them and use the townland or village names instead. This makes these places searchable - I tend to follow that.
I try to assign the local primaries as primary streets, and the others as streets - unless they are not two cars wide - then I assign them as dirt tracks because Waze can avoid these.
I agree largely with you llayden that the system is unevenly observed, and that most people don't know local road numbers. I can see why you suggest they should be excluded from the map.

However, i do think it would be useful to include them on the Waze map, now that roads are being signposted more by their code: Any satnav app is most useful in an area which the driver doesn't know; In that area, the driver won't know the local name OR the official code. If the driver sees a code on his app and can see the (newer) signage around the country, it would aid navigation for them in those areas in order to get to the townland they want.
(certainly townlands should be added into the future as maps are built up with more details into rural areas)
I admit many roads have signs showing their code on one part, and none on other parts, but perhaps adding codes to the maps now will have even greater benefits as councils add more and more signage.

With regards to which Waze road type to assign to roads in Ireland, again i see your logic. Many awful roads are designated as R and even N too, so i wouldn't restrict all the criticism to the L roads.

I have followed the Waze policy of categorising L roads as "primary streets" in country areas, mainly for the reason that when using the app, once you go above a certain speed (60km i think) the app zooms out and doesn't show roads designated as "street" or lower. Many of these roads are perfectly safe to drive on up the speed limit, meaning the road is often missing from the screen if it is not designated as "primary street".
Also, there will obviously be discrepancies between what each mapper considers a good road or not, and between what each driver would consider damaging to their car. Having driven dirt roads in other countries, mapped as such by local Wazers, and comparing them to narrow L roads in ireland, i think it is safe to say that your progress will be slow on a narrow L road here, but the chances of car damage are very small. I think that if someone sees a dirt track mapped on their route, it would make them unnecessarily nervous about using a road that is perfectly drivable, at an appropriate speed of course

I would have disagreed more strongly with you until this week, when i was naming the roads off of Grange Rd, R851 in Cork. (you should have a look at that area of the map!). The county council have added L road signs to the entrance of nearly every estate along the road. It nearly drove me doolally naming each one. I decided to just add the name to the initial few yards of each estate: as soon as i came to a junction, i just left the estate name as was, without the code. Despite renaming these streets, i did not redesignate them as "primary streets" as it would have looked odd on the map and there was no way of knowing where they ended in the estate or which roads take priority within each estate.
bprob
Send a message
Area Manager, Cork City
Administering @WazeIreland twitter account
https://twitter.com/WazeIreland

Post by llayden
The L numbering system is not new but it is unevenly observed by county councils. I don't think its that useful for naming roads in Waze though - nobody knows these numbers even for the roads they live on. Most Sat Navs don't use them and use the townland or village names instead. This makes these places searchable - I tend to follow that.

See the below from Wikipedia:
"The Roads Act 1993 gives local authorities the duty to "assign a number or other identifying mark to each local road in respect of which it has responsibility". Local Road numbers have been used for administrative purposes since the Act came into effect, but Local Road numbers did not generally appear on directional signposts until the late 2000s. Most road-maps do not show Local Road numbers, although some are marked on OpenStreetMap.
Local roads are classified by the road authority for the area as Local Primary, Local Secondary or Local Tertiary roads. The Local Primary roads are numbered from L1000 - L4999. Local Secondary Roads are numbered from L5000 - L8999. Local Tertiary roads are numbered from L10001 - L89999, with the first four digits representing the Local Primary or Secondary Road it is off. Local Tertiary Roads which are unrelated to a Local Primary or Secondary Road are numbered from L90000 upwards. Local Roads are divided into segments of 2 kilometres to 3 kilometres maximum. For this reason they serve a limited function as the applicable L road number generally ends at junctions with other local roads. The numbering systems are not widely known to the public. However they must be made available to the public on request in accordance with section 10 of the Roads Act 1993.
Unlike National and Regional Roads in Ireland, Local Road numbers are not unique. For example, there is an L1001 in Inch, Co Wexford, another L1001 in Limerick and a third in Longford. There are various unrelated roads numbered L1002 across Wexford, Kildare and Meath."

I try to assign the local primaries as primary streets, and the others as streets - unless they are not two cars wide - then I assign them as dirt tracks because Waze can avoid these.
llayden
Send a message

Post by Timbones
There's some information on Sabre, but I think it is only for the old numbering system:
http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... le=L_Roads

Wikipedia has a bit of info too, but doesn't list the roads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_roads_in_Ireland

Your local council might well be the best source for this kind on info. Good luck!
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries