Dublin suburbs

Post by Jules382
Hi Waider. I have been thinking about this problem as well. I am just trying to get the major M,N and R roads in at the moment, once I have this framework sorted I can fill in the L and Streets later. The other major mappers Tele Atlas and Navteq seem confused about it as well. Some streets in the Cork suburb Douglas can be searched under Cork but not under Douglas and visa versa for example, and in rural areas the townlands cause similar problems if we create a town, or village for every townland there will be no room on the map. So what I am doing is ignoring city suburbs for now and naming un-named streets in rural areas as the townlands that they are in, so at least anyone looking for them has a chance if they know the nearest village. It is a knotty problem, but important to all follow the same convention to save hours or days of work later on. Hope this all makes sense!
Jules382

POSTER_ID:567353

Send a message

Post by bryanosullivan
Yeah I noticed this for the last while. Deleting the City English name and saving doesn't seem to persist the changes.

I for one welcome our new St Alban's Road overlords...
bryanosullivan
Send a message

Post by damoeire
Rather than starting a new thread....
Why do so many roads have St. Albans under English City name? :?

D.
damoeire
Send a message

Post by llayden
I work on the basis that everything inside the M50 on the North side is Dublin and everything outside is a town in its own right - Swords, Malahide, Portmarnock etc. Talk to someone from Malahide and ask them if they live in Dublin! On the South side Dun Laoghaire would be the dividing line. I'd regard Dalkey, Killiney etc as separate towns.

What do you think?
llayden
Send a message

Post by llayden
. . . but do you know where Dublin City stops and Fingal, Dublin South and Dun Laoghaire start?

How can you easily find out?
llayden
Send a message

Post by llayden
Attached is a spreadsheet with two possible sets of towns. It has two sheets in it. The first sheet contains the towns in Ireland with more than 1000 inhabitants in the last census (232 towns). The second is the list of towns/villages/suburbs in Ireland that have an entry in Wikipedia (1260).

I think we should one or the other list. I'm not finding it helpful to find 'Meath' in as a town or a town name 10 miles from the town (but the road eventually goes through it) or a townland name.

I suggest that the county only be added where there is a conflict. (They're already added in the spreadsheet). This would result in a map that is workable and withoyt county names appearing ad infinitum in brackets all over the map!

??????????

The attachment is an Excel spreadsheet in spite of the extension - it wouldn't let me attach an .xlsx or .xls extension. Just manually change the extension to .xls!
llayden
Send a message

Post by owenobyrne
Hey there,
Eventually found the page where the Waze team proposed a suburb/townland naming convention:

http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... =10#p13555

They suggest "Town (County)" so that they can parse it out when the time comes. Any thoughts on that convention?

Owen
owenobyrne
Send a message

Post by owenobyrne
Not to be a cliche, but "me too" on this question! How did that happen?
owenobyrne
Send a message