new satellite imagery for Dublin

Post by davidg666
We seem to have new satellite imagery available in the map editor covering most of Dublin (except for the west) and a bit of north Wicklow, and a sliver of Meath. The resolution is much better too, so we can zoom in further and see more details.

The old images were at least eight years old, so this should be good for fixing up areas that had been developed in the last few years but didn't appear on the satellite images. There's no need to realign any existing roads unless it turns out they're very wrong and deviate a lot from the GPS tracks or overall reality.

Now all we need is satellite images for the vast areas of the country that have no imagery good enough to see any roads at all... Hopefully the Google acquisition of Waze will make more images available for these areas.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
seriousarsonist wrote:as well as new imagery for Dublin you have also have it for a lot of the border regions and Donegal, I have drawn quite a few week roads round and about to resolve some URs that had been posted, we also got that whole bit down the western side of Lough Neagh updated so lots of work needing done!
Ooh, even better. I hadn't had time to look outside the Dublin area; I just noticed the new imagery popping up there over the weekend. This should let us make a lot of improvements to the map.

I've no idea where the new images came from; I had been of the belief that all our editor images were coming from Bing, but Bing doesn't have these new images. Here does seem to have the same new images though, but I thought Here were owned by Nokia, so I wonder what deal Waze have made with them.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
seriousarsonist wrote:Hopefully it will let us get all those little bits done on the major trunk roads, some bits were pure guess work, bit like me trying to name your roads lol
Trying to name roads south of the border?

For motorways and N- roads, we use this, and then this for R- roads ... but good luck transforming the list of placenames in each road's definition into a line on the map :)

Back roads are usually named after the townland they pass through - I use the OSI map to get the townland names - they're then optionally prefixed with the L-road number if there's a sign for it at the start of the road.

You probably know all that already, so disregard as appropriate. (there's also the wiki page covering general conventions, but I've got a draft replacement for that one waiting in the wings - I should get back to it, drum up support, then swap it into place, and then get on with the other Ireland wiki pages I'm planning...)

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Hi David

as well as new imagery for Dublin you have also have it for a lot of the border regions and Donegal, I have drawn quite a few week roads round and about to resolve some URs that had been posted, we also got that whole bit down the western side of Lough Neagh updated so lots of work needing done!

Pip
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Not sure where they are from either, some of the NI ones match the ortho's from OSNI but I wouldn't have thought they'd only have licensed a few tiles rather than getting the full set so it is all very odd.

Hopefully it will let us get all those little bits done on the major trunk roads, some bits were pure guess work, bit like me trying to name your roads lol

NI area manager
Waze Beta - iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.2 not jail broken
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
I'd read all of your wiki pages it just seems to be a Herculean task to get them all done right! The Irish postmen must all be geniuses!! Lol

I'll keep going with them though, it's all for the greater good...

NI area manager
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Eh? What's that you say? Or as we'd say in Belfast 'wat yu sayin like?'

NI area manager
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by Timbones
davidg666 wrote:
seriousarsonist wrote:I've no idea where the new images came from; I had been of the belief that all our editor images were coming from Bing, but Bing doesn't have these new images.
I've seen this happen before. Waze doesn't get its aerials from Bing, but actually from VirtualEarth*, another Microsoft company (*or something). Bing gets images from same place, but a different timescale.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries