new satellite imagery for editor

Post by davidg666
It looks like Waze have switched the map editor to use satellite images from Google instead of (mostly) Bing.

This should mean we should now be able to map a lot of places that had almost no satellite imagery before, although I guess it's also possible that some of the Bing images were better than the Google ones in some areas.

In any case, keep an eye on the GPS points layer in the editor to make sure that roads are lined up with the GPS tracks, in case the satellite images are offset.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
ribisph wrote:does it work on your computer?

I cant see any satelite images!
Yes - it works fine for me.

Try looking at a different area or zooming out - with the Bing images, if you zoomed in too far (which wasn't very far at all in areas where the images were bad) then you'd just see a blank area. Maybe the area you're looking at has lower-resolution images from Google than Bing had, and is showing a blank view because of that.

I'd prefer if we were able to choose images from Google *or* Bing depending on which was better for any given location - but I guess that part is up to Waze.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Pip,
seriousarsonist wrote:Are your satellite images up to the same standard as the last update? I've just been checking North of the Border and they are in no way the same resolution or quality, they are also vastly out of date, 5-7 years, mostly.
I haven't had time to look everywhere in detail, but *some* images are good because they cover areas that weren't covered at all before, however others (such as most of Dublin) are a good five years out of date. This is quite annoying because the Bing images for most of Dublin had recently been updated so for the first time we could see a lot new construction that was very hard to map before, and now some of this new construction has vanished from the satellite imagery. That said, the Google images for Dublin are newer than the Bing images before the recent update (which seemed to be at least eight years old).

Summary: there are some good sides to the new Google imagery (new areas covered), but some areas definitely now have imagery that is a lot older than what Bing was providing before.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ribisph
does it work on your computer?

I cant see any satelite images!

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
ribisph
Send a message

Post by ribisph
thx, zooming isnt the problem. i guess my mac needs a restart ;-)

phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
ribisph
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Hey ho

Are your satellite images up to the same standard as the last update? I've just been checking North of the Border and they are in no way the same resolution or quality, they are also vastly out of date, 5-7 years, mostly.

Pip
seriousarsonist
Send a message