Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

missing section of River Liffey

Post by davidg666
Anybody know what happened to the section of the LIffey in Dublin from near Heuston station to just east of Leixlip? It seems to have gone missing in the last week or so... I hope somebody's just had a little accident and not deliberately removed it.

I've locked the remaining sections for now until somebody has time to restore the missing section.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I don know (from painful experience) that if your landmark has too many nodes to it then it will disappear!
So edit a working and visible sea or river, add a single extra node, save and it is gone!

In the Uk we have also found that some large landmarks disappear occasionally only to reappear a few days later...

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Not sure how many nodes, or indeed - now thinking about it - whether it was size related.

I did attempt to "tidy up" the Irish Channel and bits of the Atlantic and English Channel but if I remember correctly some french person took deep offence and scrubbed most of my work, including Bay of Biscay, English Channel, Celtic Sea and St Georges Channel.
Afterall the atlantic should be called The Atlantic (as according to shipping/maritime law [to which the french do subscribe!] ALL oceans and seas should be named in english... No Atlantique or Ocyan Atlantique.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
davidg666 wrote:Anybody know what happened to the section of the LIffey in Dublin from near Heuston station to just east of Leixlip? It seems to have gone missing in the last week or so... I hope somebody's just had a little accident and not deliberately removed it.

I've locked the remaining sections for now until somebody has time to restore the missing section.
Wow, it's quiet in here lately :)

Anyway, I've recreated the missing section of river. I noticed that another editor had (for some reason) deleted and re-created a few other river sections in the city centre (and aligned their edges with the adjacent roads, not with the river edge itself!) recently, so perhaps they had deleted this section but hadn't got around to re-creating it.

Creating river and similar landmarks is quite time consuming, and although it doesn't affect navigation in any way, it does look good in the app (and gives useful visual orientation) - but unfortunately it's too easy for these landmarks to be deleted (as happened with the Irish Sea a few months ago!)

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
paddyfroggy wrote:Probably my mistake, I recreated most when I noticed the error but could not do the most western part due to the area being outside of what I can edit.
Not to worry; I've made far worse mistakes myself :) (managed to delete a section of an N-road once; luckily I noticed straight away!)
paddyfroggy wrote:I drive often around the eastern part and wanted to "clean up" the rendering in the app by aligning the edge to the road. I noticed this style during the summer in a French area I drove through and though hit was slicker. Apologies for the spillover...
Aha; I'd been thinking about doing something similar with the Grand Canal.

Although I agree it *can* look neat on the phone, I don't think we should do it anywhere there's a reasonable gap between the river/canal and the road. Some of the campshires along the Liffey are 20..30m wide in places.
paddyfroggy wrote:PS: I am also adding some landmarks on the maps I work on such as park, forest, intersection and even shops etc using this style. It may be a style preference but I think it creates less lines on the app and gives a slicker look
Do keep an eye on the conventions on the wiki for what landmarks to add, and bear in mind that very small landmarks won't appear on the phone map anyway.

In my opinion, parks are definitely worth mapping. Motorway intersections are OK too, but do add the junction number into the landmark name. One problem with mapping forest is that most of the woods/forests around here are maintained by Coillte and they get cut down regularly, so the satellite images are often very out of date.

Don't add any shops or small businesses (they'll hardly be visible and just add clutter) but bigger shops (such as large supermarkets) are good.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Pip,
seriousarsonist wrote:Would you have permalink for the style you mentioned so I can have a wee look?
Do you mean for the landmarking style? There's a US-specific discussion and a wiki page here: http://world.waze.com/wiki/?title=Landmarks , then a UK page:

http://world.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... d_Kingdom)

...although we don't have Ireland-specific guidelines for landmarks, I've been roughly following the UK landmark conventions, and have also had my opinion(s) guided by what I read on the editing forums.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
seriousarsonist wrote:For the aligning the edge to the road style
Ah, OK - well here's a permalink to a section of the Liffey that *was* snapped to the adjacent roads:

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&l ... TTTFTTTTFT

...I've since unsnapped it and aligned it to the actual river banks. I haven't noticed any discussion on the forums about snapping rivers to adjacent roads, although there must be plenty of places like Dublin (and other cities here and elsewhere) where roads are close to both sides of a river in a city centre.

I think rivers (and other water features) are in a separate uneditable layer for the north American maps, so they tend not to map river landmarks (unlike here) so perhaps that explains the lack of discussion about them in the forums.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Des,
CTCNetwork wrote:I don know (from painful experience) that if your landmark has too many nodes to it then it will disappear!
So edit a working and visible sea or river, add a single extra node, save and it is gone!

In the Uk we have also found that some large landmarks disappear occasionally only to reappear a few days later...
Any idea how many nodes it takes to make a landmark disappear? I've done a lot of editing of Galway Bay in the past to add detail to the coastline, so it must have thousands of nodes - but (aside from being slow to edit) it seems to still be there.

We also had some large landmarks disappear suddenly here too - most of the landmarks making up the Irish Sea vanished - so we recreated them quickly and L5-locked them. They didn't seem to reappear by themselves; I suspect somebody deleted them (by mistake? I hope it was a mistake!) and then either kept quiet or didn't realise what they'd done.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Would you have permalink for the style you mentioned so I can have a wee look?

Pip
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
For the aligning the edge to the road style
seriousarsonist
Send a message