Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Updating petrol prices

Post by davidg666
paddyfroggy wrote:I used Waze in France during the sumer and the availability of petrol prices proved very useful in finding cheaper fuel just a few km off route.
How far are we from having this in Ireland? The stations are available in the search under "Petrol station" category, a good number of them are now mapped and returned in the search but there is nothing about prices.The update price from the client is not there either.
I would love to help in bringing this feature to Ireland if I can help I just have not find how...
Waze will turn this feature on for a country when a certain percentage of the petrol stations for that country have been mapped. I think the percentage is 75%. Even though we do have quite a few petrol stations mapped in Ireland, I suspect we're nowhere near 75%.

To be honest, in my opinion (others may have different opinions!) it would be much more worthwhile to try getting the country more fully mapped - although quite a few large towns and most of the cities are well mapped, there are vast areas of the country where there are only main roads mapped (and not necessary correctly) and many towns and villages are missing. If we assume that these almost-unmapped areas all contain petrol stations, then we don't have much chance of getting the petrol prices feature turned on until and unless we have the petrol stations mapped - and having petrol stations mapped isn't much use unless there are roads in place to get to them :)

Possibly we could (or should!) collectively focus our editing efforts to divide up the work and concentrate on specific objectives, such as verifying that all main roads are mapped properly, that all towns/villages over a certain size are mapped, and on identifying and maybe making a to-do list of other areas that need attention. I imagine most editors are like me and have day jobs and other competing demands on their time - I go through phases of only having a couple of hours a week to edit and then having several hours a day to edit for a week or so at a time.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by alalalal22
Just filled up today and was able to update price, first time in forever
alalalal22
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

On my occasional visits I have (on my return) mapped some stations. I have also been adding a parking lot road through the station (so stays do not affect/create traffic reports) and then naming them "Fuel". I have since started changing to [F].

You can come slap me if I have been too presumptuous. I do find that the street name (Fuel or [F]) shows up on the map sooner than the actual landmark..

You comments would be welcome.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

There is no strict rule for naming - aka no name should be Ok. The parking lot road does pull you off the main road so aiding no adding to traffic reports whilst you stop and refuel (or you would need to have the garage landmark covering the road).

I shall pop more on as I can see them/remember them whilst my edit rights are available.

We have "adopted" the idea that naming of car parks with "[P] name" is preferable to "name Car Park" as less verbose. Adding [P] to the parking lot roads is also quite acceptable rather than "tesco's Car Park" or whatever.. :)

Glad to be of help. Will try and get some of those unmapped roads done while I can.. :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Theoretically serious is right, subject to the accuracy of the devices GPS.. :D
I have been prompted for traffic updates whilst in garages where there was no parking lot road.
Same thing when in a lay-by too.

You only get the pop up to prompt for fuel price updates if you have the feature turned on - I update regularly so disabled it as more annoying - just like the ads.. Grr...!!!

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Anyone find pump dot ie to be a good source of info on stations, brand and details?

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Yea, the prices did look a little out of date compared to my visit. I was thinking that it may be a good reference point for finding petrol stations and who operated them.. :) May help speed up completion of the stations.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

You'll find that http://pumps.ie/ will be very usefull providing those additional details you need to complete the entry details.. :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Another issue that people may come across - depending on how cheap petrol does get with the current crop of low oil prices - will be double digit petrol prices.

Yes, you heard me right! You may get petrol prices of 99.9c a litre :D
In the client, however, you cannot enter 99.9 as it goes through as 999.0 (expensive!)
So you will need to enter 099.9 - adding the leading zero allows for 99.9c price (and other two digit prices).

I hope you get this issue soon... :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by Damiantaxi
Evening all, I don't wish to start a new thread but could someone tell me, when updating prices are we going with the price shown or rounding up? For example if a fuel is advertised at $134.9 do we update with $134 or $135? Cheers
Damiantaxi
Send a message