Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by davidg666
lsin023 wrote:Maybe just a few more...
  • Corrib Oil
  • Discount Fuel Deals
  • Excol
  • Gala
  • GO (the cheapest in Dublin/Ireland)
  • Inver
  • Stewarts Oil
  • Tara Oil
  • Xpress Stop
That's what I found in the cheapest Top10 in different counties among the missing ones..
Alright - I've submitted these ones to Waze for inclusion in the editor. I'm not sure if they should appear automatically, or if they'll need to be reminded to add them.

Are there any others to be added, or any listed that should be removed?

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
I've given HQ a range of reasonable fuel prices, and those ranged started well below €1.00. I also mentioned LPG as a fuel type (in addition to petrol and diesel), and that goes as low as €0.60 or so.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
lsin023 wrote:According to this spreadsheet, 92.21% on 15/07/16.
We requested Waze HQ to activate Petrol price feature last year and poked them again yesterday.. They said they are still working on it.. :roll:
Yes - Stan speaks the truth.

I originally thought that it was just a matter of Waze HQ flicking a switch at their end, but apparently the process is more complicated than that.

I asked our community manager in Waze HQ to turn on petrol prices a month ago, and reminded them again a couple of days ago. We have done everything right at our end, and we do have 92% of petrol stations mapped, so now it's just a matter of waiting. There are several countries having the feature turned on at the moment, which adds to the delay a little.

Do keep mapping any petrol stations you see missing though. I've come across quite a few in small towns that aren't on main roads.

Another thing to bear in mind is that we should watch out for petrol stations where the brand has changed. Since Topaz bought Esso's business in this country recently, a lot of Esso stations are changing their branding to Topaz. I don't know if all Esso stations are going to become Topaz stations eventually, but I have noticed a few changing already.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:I've realised that waze wiki says gas stations should be locked at L2, but the majority of gas stations in Ireland are left at Automatic(1).

Have changed plenty of them in the last weeks, but could that be the reason they're not enabling it?

Also, is there a way to run a report or something and find all places marked as gas stations?
I never realised the wiki said that. Having said that, we've been trying to minimise the amount of locking we have on the map here.

In any case, the last time I spoke to our community contact in Waze HQ was about a month ago, and they said that the only reason petrol/gas prices haven't been turned on for Ireland yet is that it takes time, and there are several other countries in the queue along with us. I had thought it was just a matter of them pressing a button at their end, but apparently there's more to it than that. I think the number I was given was something like four months, so it's coming, but it's still around the corner a bit.

According to this page, we have something like 93% of stations mapped, which is pretty good.

To be honest, I wonder if it's really 93%, since I keep coming across petrol stations that haven't been mapped yet. Once the prices feature is turned on though, I expect the unmapped stations will be much more obvious and we'll start getting URs complaining about unmapped stations.

Summary: hold on, they're coming...

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
YanisKyr wrote:I'd also wonder what source is that 93% based on, as I probably added more than 15 in the last couple of months and that's only around Dublin!
It's based on a three-year-old article in the Examiner, that gave 1027 as a number in 2008 - eight years ago now - and how it was the lowest for many years. So it's quite possible that there are quite a few more stations now!

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
helvete666 wrote:I'm getting notification in the app to update Prices so looks like this has gone live
Excellent!

I had a message from Waze HQ yesterday saying they'd turned it on - it just hasn't been announced yet. There will be a message pushed to all Waze users to announce it generally - not sure when, but I assume soonish.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hey Damian,
Damiantaxi wrote:Evening all, I don't wish to start a new thread but could someone tell me, when updating prices are we going with the price shown or rounding up? For example if a fuel is advertised at $134.9 do we update with $134 or $135? Cheers
Good question. I guess 134.9 is closer to 135 than 134, so I'd put in 135 for that one, since 134.9 is so very nearly 135. I'd do that same for the xxx.8 that Applegreen seem to like to use.

I guess we should round down in the unlikely event that a petrol station ever had something weird like 135.1, but I can't imagine that'd happen.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
DiarmuidCogan wrote:Why can't we have a decimal place? All prices here are XXX.X so shouldn't the app reflect that? The have it in the UK...
Good question - I quite like the idea too. I think nobody's clear on whether to round up or down, or whether to just ignore the decimal place.

When petrol prices were set up here, we told Waze HQ what range of fuels we wanted and a few other things - I can't remember what we said about decimal places, so maybe they weren't even mentioned. It's possible that we reckoned that the decimal place was always .9, so there was no point (no pun intended ;) ) including it since it's just one more thing to enter.

Anyway, I like the idea, but others may have different opinions - so: does anybody like the current setup or are there others who'd like decimal places?

If there are no other opinions in the next few days, I'll talk to the other CMs, and if we're all in agreement then, we can ask Waze HQ to enable decimal points for petrol prices here.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
DiarmuidCogan wrote:Any update on this? I got petrol in Applegreen today and it was 130.6. If the Amber decides to outgun them and makes it 130.5 we've got a dilemma :)
Sorry Diarmuid - I have to admit I'd forgotten about it!

However, I'll be seeing Arthur (the other CM) and our Waze community support person on Saturday - so I'll make sure to bring it up then and (if we're lucky) get the wheels turning...

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
DiarmuidCogan wrote:Any update on this? I got petrol in Applegreen today and it was 130.6. If the Amber decides to outgun them and makes it 130.5 we've got a dilemma :)
Good news: we met with our community contact from Waze HQ recently and he said it'd be no problem to change this. I forgot to ask him if it'd take time to change or if they could make the change quickly (it did take a while to get petrol prices enabled in the first place).

I have to send him an email (with this request and a few other questions) later today (because he didn't have a pen handy at the moment I asked him), but when I do I'll ask how long it'll be likely to take.

I'll get them to add ".9" onto all existing prices, on the assumption that many users will have just been entering the first three digits they see and ignoring the ".9". Although I know many of us have been rounding up to the nearest whole number, but I imagine it'd be easier to add ".9" than to subtract 0.1. Now that I write that, maybe I'll ask them to round down to the nearest .9 (if they store it as a number rather than a text field). Or maybe it'd be best for them to do whichever is easier - I'll see what they say.

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message