Updating petrol prices

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Re: Updating petrol prices

Postby davidg666 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:59 pm

CTCNetwork wrote:There is no strict rule for naming - aka no name should be Ok. The parking lot road does pull you off the main road so aiding no adding to traffic reports whilst you stop and refuel (or you would need to have the garage landmark covering the road).

I remember reading on the editing forum several months ago (when the petrol prices feature was first introduced) that gas station landmarks would suppress traffic reports and used the actual GPS position of the car to decide whether or not the car was at the petrol station, and not the position of the car on the nearest bit of road. In other words, they should ignore the fact that the car has been snapped to the road on the client display, and realise that it's actually not on the road but inside the landmark.

That said, I imagine it's very easy to be at the edge of a petrol station but under the canopy, so your GPS location isn't perfect, and have Waze think you actually aren't on the landmark, but on the road. I definitely support using parking lot road segments in petrol stations for this reason!
CTCNetwork wrote:We have "adopted" the idea that naming of car parks with "[P] name" is preferable to "name Car Park" as less verbose. Adding [P] to the parking lot roads is also quite acceptable rather than "tesco's Car Park" or whatever.. :)

I like the '[P]' for car parks alright - and although we don't seem to have adopted that convention here, I think it would look good, especially when used with just the '[P]' and no name.

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby seriousarsonist » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:56 pm

The app will, if it thinks you are within the petrol stations, show a pop up asking if you are at a petrol station and do you want to update prices. This feature does work, albeit, intermittently, well up here in the north anyway.

I prefer to leave the road name blank for gas stations but do like the [P] for car parks as it shows up very clearly. I think waze pulls car park details from somewhere else too and displays something similar but not 100% on that.

NI area manager (L4) Waze/WME Beta tester - iPhone 4s/5s iOS 7.0.3 (3GS 6.3.4 jail broken)
[ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland [ img ] [ img ]

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby davidg666 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:02 pm

seriousarsonist wrote:The app will, if it thinks you are within the petrol stations, show a pop up asking if you are at a petrol station and do you want to update prices. This feature does work, albeit, intermittently, well up here in the north anyway.

It doesn't do that down here because petrol prices aren't enabled for here yet - I imagine we have only about 30% (very rough guess) of petrol stations mapped. I assume (but have no way of verifying this) that traffic jam suppression still works when you're on a gas station landmark...
seriousarsonist wrote:I prefer to leave the road name blank for gas stations but do like the [P] for car parks as it shows up very clearly. I think waze pulls car park details from somewhere else too and displays something similar but not 100% on that.

Do you mean the little 'P' pins that show up when you're approaching your destination? I think I read somewhere that these come from Foursquare, and aren't sourced from the Waze map at all.

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby seriousarsonist » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Yup the little P pins, and you could be right about foursquare. I may be over the border in the next week so I'll see if it does suppress it, I'll also do as Des is and try and map in as many stations as I can find

NI area manager (L4) Waze/WME Beta tester - iPhone 4s/5s iOS 7.0.3 (3GS 6.3.4 jail broken)
[ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland [ img ] [ img ]

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby davidg666 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 pm

seriousarsonist wrote:Yup the little P pins, and you could be right about foursquare. I may be over the border in the next week so I'll see if it does suppress it, I'll also do as Des is and try and map in as many stations as I can find

Thanks for any mapping you add! Most other local editors down here seem to have gone quiet lately; I don't know if (m)any of them are watching the forums at all. I've been contacting new editors as I see their edits appearing, but I'm not sure how long most of them stick around. How many actively contributing editors would you say you've got up north? I know you also had no base map import, unlike the rest if the UK. (Why is that? Maybe because OSNI is separate from the OS for the island of Britain?)

This is off topic, but I'm sure you've noticed the switch to Google satellite imagery in the editor has helped a lot of areas (and hindered a few others...) Everything south of the border including Dundalk and Drogheda used to be more-or-less uneditable. Plenty of scope for more editing now...

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby CTCNetwork » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:59 am

Hi,

Theoretically serious is right, subject to the accuracy of the devices GPS.. :D
I have been prompted for traffic updates whilst in garages where there was no parking lot road.
Same thing when in a lay-by too.

You only get the pop up to prompt for fuel price updates if you have the feature turned on - I update regularly so disabled it as more annoying - just like the ads.. Grr...!!!

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby davidg666 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:41 am

CTCNetwork wrote:Theoretically serious is right, subject to the accuracy of the devices GPS.. :D
I have been prompted for traffic updates whilst in garages where there was no parking lot road.
Same thing when in a lay-by too.

All the more reason to add parking lot roads to petrol stations - and any similar structure (like lay-bys, as you mention) where a car can be stopped without being in traffic.
CTCNetwork wrote:You only get the pop up to prompt for fuel price updates if you have the feature turned on - I update regularly so disabled it as more annoying - just like the ads.. Grr...!!!

Thankfully no ads here (yet), although I have seen them in Italy earlier this year.

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby CTCNetwork » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi,

Anyone find pump dot ie to be a good source of info on stations, brand and details?

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby davidg666 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Des,
CTCNetwork wrote:Anyone find pump dot ie to be a good source of info on stations, brand and details?

http://pumps.ie ? I used to use it a little on the phone a couple of years ago, but there are quite a few petrol stations around where I live and work, so I stopped bothering with it. Looking at the website for the area around me right now, quite a lot of the prices seem to be over a week out of date.

I guess they are (or would be if/when Waze enable petrol prices for Ireland) a competitor to Waze for this one function.

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby CTCNetwork » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:16 am

Hi,

Yea, the prices did look a little out of date compared to my visit. I was thinking that it may be a good reference point for finding petrol stations and who operated them.. :) May help speed up completion of the stations.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland