Updating petrol prices

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Re: Updating petrol prices

Postby davidg666 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:47 am

Hi Des,
CTCNetwork wrote:Yea, the prices did look a little out of date compared to my visit. I was thinking that it may be a good reference point for finding petrol stations and who operated them.. :) May help speed up completion of the stations.

Although I understand one can't copyright facts, I can imagine the people behind pumps.ie getting a bit annoyed if we were seen to be using their database as a source for Waze petrol stations. I do notice they have a feature for users to submit new petrol stations to be created - this would be very useful to have in Waze (not that I can imagine them adding it any time soon).

I know in the UK you managed to do a bulk import of some petrol stations (and the Esso database must have included stations in Ireland too, because a lot of them showed up here around the same time). I notice too (from lurking in the Australia forum) that they've been getting lists of petrol stations from the main brands and adding those manually. It would probably be worth doing something similar here.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't been too fussed about adding petrol stations in bulk myself (although I do add the odd one as I see it) - I don't use pumps.ie and usually have several petrol stations on my commute between home and work, so I haven't perceived the petro^Wgas stations feature in Waze to be that much use - not that others might not find it very useful indeed. I suppose it would be quite a useful thing to add to encourage more people to use Waze in the first place.

In summary: I think the best way to add enough petrol stations to the Ireland map (so that the prices feature could be enabled by Waze) would be to contact the main petrol station brands (Topaz, Applegreen, etc) and get lists of stations from them. We could then either add each station manually, or, if a list with coordinates could be provided in a standard format to Waze, perhaps it could be bulk-imported.

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Timbones » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:10 pm

davidg666 wrote:if a list with coordinates could be provided in a standard format to Waze, perhaps it could be bulk-imported.

If you can get rights-free POI data from petrol companies, you can pass these directly to Waze to import. You might be able to find some of these directly on the web, where as some you'll need to contact the companies and ask for it. That's basically what we did for the UK.
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby helvete666 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:41 pm

I'm gonna try and update those around my usual drive areas and places I visit frequently, I think once they are there then a quick update request from users would be sufficient for anyone to update them if they changed hands
helvete666

Postby dmeehan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:07 am

Is there an agreed convention for adding "Gas Stations" to the map?
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davidg666 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 pm

dmeehan wrote:Is there an agreed convention for adding "Gas Stations" to the map?

I don't think we've ever discussed it here, but I reckon we should follow the same conventions as other places. I add "gas station" landmarks from time to time, and I see others do too.

We do have all the petrol brands imported by Waze, so they should all appear in the drop-down list for gas station landmarks.

When adding a landmark, I make it follow the boundary of the petrol station as a whole (not just the canopy over the pumps). If it's too small it won't be visible in the client. Since the landmark suppresses traffic reports, it's important to make sure it doesn't overlap any adjacent roads. I usually also add a one-way parking lot road through the petrol station too, so that people get routed off properly. Parking lot roads also ensure that people filling up get snapped to that road instead of the adjacent road, further preventing corruption of speed data for the road.

It looks like we're a long way from getting the petrol prices feature turned on for Ireland - I think Waze need a country to have 75% of its petrol stations mapped. I haven't bothered mapping that many petrol stations since a lot of them would be in places where we don't even have the town/village (and associated roads) mapped completely yet.

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby dmeehan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:47 pm

I'll add the ones I know of around Killarney and Tralee areas anyway in the meantime
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CTCNetwork » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi,

You'll find that http://pumps.ie/ will be very usefull providing those additional details you need to complete the entry details.. :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby dmeehan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 am

pumps.ie is down at the moment. Has anyone looked at this recently? Is it gone for good or just a momentary glitch?

Update: The domain name doesn't expire until 2014-11-30
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby davidg666 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:07 am

dmeehan wrote:pumps.ie is down at the moment. Has anyone looked at this recently? Is it gone for good or just a momentary glitch?

There's a thread on boards.ie that suggests it's a bit bouncy - which doesn't really answer your question, but the reliability seems to be a bit questionable.

I notice the iPhone app isn't working either - it claims that it can't connect to the server - which I assume is related.

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby lsin023 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:43 am

More than 82% according to this?
Maybe, it's time to activate this feature in Waze which was very useful when I was using it in UK/FR.
lsin023
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Ireland