Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

railway segments

Post by davidg666
I notice the new live map (which is both up-to-date and looks pretty good) is showing railway segments now. Because of this, we should probably stop using railway segments for leaving notes on the map for other editors as we have been doing (which is a shame until we get another means of leaving map notes). I think display of railway segments is meant to be coming to the client too.

Aside from no longer leaving notes using railway segments, there are a couple of other ways we've been mapping railways that I'm not sure we should be doing - so what do people think? These are:

1. Tram lines, especially those that run along streets - for example, many parts of the Luas in Dublin.
2. Disused railway lines - we have a few of these mapped.

For tram lines, I think we should continue to map those parts that *don't* run along streets, and for disused railway lines, I think these can be mapped as long as there are usable tracks present, but if there is only a former railway line (and no tracks remain) then we shouldn't map them.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
paddyfroggy wrote:I mapped/remapped some of the Luas because they were missing or just not mapped where the line sit. I found it tricky at time to reflect section where cars can drive just beside for small part.
I think we shouldn't map Luas lines at all where they run along a road (even though we have been up to now) - I think it just looks messy to have them right next to each other or on top of each other.
paddyfroggy wrote:I have used the "unknown" direction has it was easier to visualise the railway that way in the editor (actually, others had done it before me and i though it helped to continue). Should we set the direction correctly? does it matter?
The directionality of railway segments doesn't matter at all, because they'll never be used for navigation.
paddyfroggy wrote:I have also connected a lot of segments for the dublin-roslare line (where I can edit). Someone must have paved this while on the train as it was very broken up and set at various degree of precision.
I've seen the results of people paving on trains before and have deleted a lot of the resulting segments. I presume people do this because they can't see the train line on their phones.

It has been argued elsewhere on the forums before that train lines should be mapped when they run next to a road so that people running Waze on their phones don't pollute the speed data for the adjacent roads. I don't know whether the Waze client can snap to the railways lines or not, and whether or not this makes any difference.
paddyfroggy wrote:Is the road "style guide" for Ireland cover train line?
The road style guide for Ireland doesn't cover train lines, but I'll update the draft after we agree on a conclusion here in the forum.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Timbones wrote:If it helps, we've recently updated our UK guidelines for Railways :)
Thanks Tim. I may borrow some of the intention behind that section for the Ireland wiki page. I've been following UK practice in a few places here where we haven't documented an equivalent ourselves.

BTW, did we ever find out definitively (either by experimentation or by statement from Waze HQ) whether the Waze client really can snap users on trains onto a railway segment, to stop them polluting road speed data? I figure that if the client doesn't show the train line, it might not know about it at all, and it might still snap users onto an adjacent road segment and pollute its speed data, whether or not there is a railway segment mapped.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
seriousarsonist wrote:This could get rather interesting on our cross border train lines... It's already a bit if a bother with the roads where I've been editing...
What do you mean? For cross-border train lines, we can just join them where they cross the border, just as if they were roads, no? Or do you have a different convention for mapping train lines up north?

For the bother with the roads where you've been editing: is the problem that Waze's idea of exactly where the border is differs from reality, so that it's possible to have a road on one side of the border that's uneditable because Waze thinks it belongs to the other side of the border? (I've seen quite a few roads on the southern side of the border (north/south cardinal directions are funny when the border wiggles so much that some parts of the "south" are north of the "north" :) ) that I can't edit them because Waze thinks they're in the UK)

I thought you'd worked around that by getting AM rights for most areas along the border, spanning both sides?

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
This could get rather interesting on our cross border train lines... It's already a bit if a bother with the roads where I've been editing...

NI area manager (L4)
Waze Beta - iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.3, still in gaol
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
I was being a little bit cheeky lol although I have come across some bother with road names at the border, think I'd asked about them before, but as we're playing the long game it's nothing to worry about. A little bit of collaboration and we'll have this wee island mapped to the nines!

NI area manager (L4)
Waze Beta - iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.3, still in gaol
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by Timbones
If it helps, we've recently updated our UK guidelines for Railways :)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
AFAIK, clients do not show or snap to railroads and do not prevent paving. However, HQ have said they will display railroads on the client "soon", and we'll encourage them to fix the issues with snapping and speed data at the same time.

There are alternate mapping solutions for railways, with various degrees of success, but these are discouraged while we eagerly wait for HQ to do it properly...

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries