Anyone using Waze on O2 network in Ireland?

Post by dilallio
There appears to be an issue using Waze on the O2 network, and I would like to find out if this is an issue and if it's widespread.

I was using Waze on an iPhone on the O2 network. When I ran Waze, it would initially connect using my home Wifi connection and it worked perfectly, i.e. the maps displayed correctly on my phone until I went outside a certain radius of my house. When this happened, the maps appeared blank outside of this radius and did not update, even though my mobile data connection was valid, and other apps including my phone web browser & Google Maps all worked perfectly.

I tried many things including resetting my iPhone, re-installing all apps including Waze, confirning I had the correct O2 data settinge, and despite working for 1 month (about 6 months ago), it has never worked since. Waze support were not interested and did not respond.

I recently changed to Tesco Mobile and it has now started working again. I thought that this was an issue which was not widespread, but I am now seeing Map Reports complaining of 'Chunks of map missing'. I've asked the users what network they are using and yes, it's O2!

This could be a coincidence, it could be a localised issue around a particular area or device, so I thought that I would ask here and see if many people have tried using Waze on O2 and if so, is it the iOS or Android version, and what geographical area you use Waze in.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.
dilallio

POSTER_ID:8899139

Send a message

Post by CivilEx520
I've been using Waze for the last three months or so. It really only works properly for me using the "open.internet" apn. If you use the "internet" apn, then you can connect to see your scoreboard and you think it's working, but your km are not being recorded and your maps will not download. I'm using a HTC One.

Be careful using "open.internet" - it may not be part of your data package and you might get charged extra!
CivilEx520
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I have 3 on my main phone and used it in Ireland whilst there. Some issues re connection but I think that may be how 3 roaming works as you are barred from using any other network (or you rack up roaming charges).
My 2nd phone is on a testing waze account and uses O2/gifgaf. Repeated can't find network and other data issues not restricted just to waze.

Used both to Holyhead and had some connection issue along the way, but on the 2nd phone, not my main one.

I'd say, certainly in the Uk that O2 are hitting capacity and maybe concentrating on 4g. To the detriment of 3G.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
dilallio wrote:There appears to be an issue using Waze on the O2 network, and I would like to find out if this is an issue and if it's widespread.

I was using Waze on an iPhone on the O2 network. When I ran Waze, it would initially connect using my home Wifi connection and it worked perfectly, i.e. the maps displayed correctly on my phone until I went outside a certain radius of my house. When this happened, the maps appeared blank outside of this radius and did not update, even though my mobile data connection was valid, and other apps including my phone web browser & Google Maps all worked perfectly.

I tried many things including resetting my iPhone, re-installing all apps including Waze, confirning I had the correct O2 data settinge, and despite working for 1 month (about 6 months ago), it has never worked since. Waze support were not interested and did not respond.

I recently changed to Tesco Mobile and it has now started working again. I thought that this was an issue which was not widespread, but I am now seeing Map Reports complaining of 'Chunks of map missing'. I've asked the users what network they are using and yes, it's O2!

This could be a coincidence, it could be a localised issue around a particular area or device, so I thought that I would ask here and see if many people have tried using Waze on O2 and if so, is it the iOS or Android version, and what geographical area you use Waze in.
I *was* using Waze on an iPhone 3GS on O2 up until about a year ago, when I switched to Three and an iPhone 5. It's working fine now.

Near the end of that period using Waze on the old phone with O2, I did have a few problems, but I attributed them to the phone getting old and maybe its GPS hardware getting a bit flaky, and to some transient Waze problems. For a while, the phone didn't seem to know where it was very well, and would jump around the map a lot while driving. For a shorter while, some map tiles would fail to be downloaded and large areas of the map would appear blank. This seemed to be a bit intermittent though, so I wouldn't regard it as conclusive evidence.

It seems weird that there would be a problem with Waze specifically and O2. Possibly the Waze client connects to their servers using a particular non-standard port number and O2 intermittently block or rate-limit connections to this port; they may have a QoS policy in place that favours connections to the more "standard" ports used for email and ordinary web browsing (25, 443, 80, etc) and disfavours connections to unusual ports. I have no idea what port Waze uses though.

It would be interesting to go for a drive with two phones, both running Waze, but one on O2 and another on a different network, and to see how they behave side by side on the same drive.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by dilallio
Thanks eoghanm,
Are you using the android or iPhone client?
John
dilallio
Send a message

Post by eoghanm
Been using Waze on O2 since September with no (major) problems.
eoghanm
Send a message

Post by eoghanm
Hi John, using Android 4.3 on a Galaxy Nexus. I have been posting in the map editing forum about gaps that I am seeing on a section of road that I drive quite often. One of the theories behind the problem is the O2 network, so I might have to take back my previous statement :) But in general, I havent had many problems with O2.
Eoghan.
eoghanm
Send a message

Post by karl_db
I'm using WAZE on the O2 network, but indirectly. I use Tesco Moblie which piggybacks on the O2 network. No problems encountered here.
karl_db
Send a message