Routing Errors while driving on M6 East

Post by dilallio
I regularly drive from Galway to Dublin on the M6 East.

On J8 (Athlone East), J7 (Moate / Clonmacnoise), and J6 (Moate / Horsleap / Clara) Waze tries to route me off the motorway, around the roundabout(s) and immediately back onto the motorway.

I've checked the maps in the editor and they look fine. Anyone else experienced this or have any solutions?
Here are examples from this morning's drive:

Cheers,
John
dilallio

POSTER_ID:8899139

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

It may well be worth while setting up a sticky topic for these on/off junctions you have here and letting Waze know of its existence. They may get round to fixing them "soon".. :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi John,
dilallio wrote:I regularly drive from Galway to Dublin on the M6 East.

On J8 (Athlone East), J7 (Moate / Clonmacnoise), and J6 (Moate / Horsleap / Clara) Waze tries to route me off the motorway, around the roundabout(s) and immediately back onto the motorway.

I've checked the maps in the editor and they look fine. Anyone else experienced this or have any solutions?
I've seen this happen, but only very occasionally (on the M9 near Carlow).

Waze's routing engine is supposed to try to avoid this kind of thing, but it depends on the motorway segment where the exit is having the same name as the segment where the entrance back on is. However, in the case you've just described, it should be "M6 E" at both locations.

The avoidance probably also depends on motorways junctions like US ones, where there's a crossroads instead of a roundabout like we commonly have here. I don't know if this avoidance works with roundabouts.

They do have lots of similar motorway junctions in the UK (a single bridge with a pair of roundabouts) and there has been a fair bit of discussion in the UK forum about this same problem. I haven't looked a the UK forum since Friday, but I got the impression that the UK country admins are working with Waze HQ to stop this problem from happening. Any fix made by Waze to the routing engine should benefit us too. It might be worth following the thread in the UK forum about it - or even just waiting to see what happens.

Anyway, I've only experienced this routing off and right back on again problem a couple of times - *most* of the time it behaves itself, and I've never seen it on the M6 (I go from Dublin to north Clare along the M6 a few times a year).

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
stepbar wrote:I've seen a few of these in various contexts. It's usually caused by slow speeds on that particular stretch of road (daily traffic jams etc), to the point where the average speed is less than the slip roads. One way to [temporarily] fix it that usually works is to delete one of the road segments on the detour, then add it back in. Waze will avoid that segment until it has some further speed data. Unfortunately it comes back when enough people travel over that new segment.....
Going by the UK thread on the same subject (referenced earlier in this thread) Waze are pushing out a new routing engine in the near future which *may* fix the problem. For that reason I think we should sit tight for a bit and see if the problem keeps happening (and keep an eye on the UK thread).

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by seriousarsonist
There's a topic on the UK forum which is all about these on/off issues.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56560
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by stepbar
I've seen a few of these in various contexts. It's usually caused by slow speeds on that particular stretch of road (daily traffic jams etc), to the point where the average speed is less than the slip roads. One way to [temporarily] fix it that usually works is to delete one of the road segments on the detour, then add it back in. Waze will avoid that segment until it has some further speed data. Unfortunately it comes back when enough people travel over that new segment.....
stepbar
Send a message

Post by stepbar
Agree - the fix I suggested is only temporary anyway!
stepbar
Send a message