editors: WME Validator script

Post by davidg666
There's a new(ish) extension script available for the editor which highlights several common map issues in the editor. It's a useful companion to the WME Colour Highlights script.

The thread about is it here.

I've asked the author to add some Ireland-specific checks for road naming (it already does some-country specific checks for other countries). I've just asked for a few very basic checks, such as checking that all R- roads have type 'minor highway', all M- roads have type 'freeway' and so on.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
davidg666 wrote:There's a new(ish) extension script available for the editor which highlights several common map issues in the editor. It's a useful companion to the WME Colour Highlights script.
Quick update: the latest version of this script now includes the Ireland-specific checks I asked for.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
'morning Roland,
rolika78 wrote:I do use this script as well to identify any issues on the map.
Just a quick question for you guys, what you might answer from you experience.
How important is to fix all the Cul-de-sac "missing junction" at the end point and the "unconfirmed turn" at the end of the streets? As I slowly plowing towards bigger areas the picture getting worst and worst.
Are you fixing all the issues which are highlighted by the WME validator or you do have some priority list for the issues.
There should be very few missing junctions at end points left, but these should certainly be added where they are missing. The editor puts them in for newly drawn roads, but a lot of older roads are missing them. Their presence is necessary for proper routing from these roads.

As for the unconfirmed turns at the end of streets: I used to fix all of these, but I stopped because there are so many of them, and for some reason they seem to return after a few weeks. They are definitely worth fixing at the ends of streets that join main roads directly. That's because if they're *not* fixed, Waze can send users down that street to make a U-turn, but, because the client can't say "make a U-turn", the route just goes to the end of the street and turns around again.

By way of example, where I experienced this directly: a few weeks ago, I was routing to a friend's house. The shortest route would have involved turning right at a cross roads just before my destination, but the right turn was restricted, so I had to go a different way. Rather than sending me around the block, Waze told me to turn right into a cul-de-sac shortly after the cross roads, where, to follow the route, I had to make an awkward U-turn at the end of the cul-de-sac (it was quite narrow), then turn left out of the cul-de-sac to go back to the cross roads, then turn left at the cross roads. Quite an awkward manoeuvre, and one that would be avoided if U-turns were hard-disabled at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Short answer: do fix the unconfirmed turns at the ends of streets that join main roads directly (just select the end node, then hit 'q', and then 'w'), but don't bother with the ends of streets that don't join main roads (such as the many streets that make up most housing estates).

All other things flagged by Validator should be considered on their merits. We certainly don't need to make all the things highlighted go away - that would be a big waste of time. I find after a while you get used to what's worth fixing and what's not, and it will flag some things that don't need changing.

For example, Validator will highlight road names that don't match the road type, such as (in Ireland) R- roads that don't have type "minor highway" and roads that are of type "minor highway" whose names don't begin with 'Rxxx'. That's because all R- roads should be minor highways, but nothing else should be a minor highway (in Ireland). Similar rules apply for N- roads and motorways.

Hope that all makes sense. In summary: I think Validator is a useful tool, but it's not worth getting distracted by all the things it highlights, since it's not at all necessary to "fix" everything it shows. It's easy to turn it off temporarily if the highlights are distracting from real editing.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi again Roland,
rolika78 wrote:I'll proceed with your recommendations. I do use the roadtypes as you described and as per the Wiki for Ireland.
I think the confusion is happening on the L-roads.
Sometimes you can see that some map editors put every LXXXX roads as primary roads even the ones which are not wide enough for my VW Polo... :D
I do tend to check the satellite layer and streetview just to check the width of the road and decide if I set it to "primary road" or leave it "street".
My own rule is that if I can see a painted center line on the road and it is wide enough, I set it to primary road.
Yeah, the difference between "street" and "primary street" is up to the editor's judgement, and although we said on the wiki page that for a road to be a primary street, it should be possible for two cars to pass without slowing down. We only came up with that last year (when the wiki page was updated) and a lot of roads were created before that.

For a short while we discussed (in one of the threads here in the forum) making L- roads below L5000 primary streets and L- roads above L5000 just streets, but then somebody pointed out (I think it was Rob) that some county councils don't follow the convention of using lower L- numbers for bigger roads, so we dropped that idea.

I think some editors prefer using primary street more than others, so some places have (in my opinion anyway...) too many primary streets that are too narrow. If the road has grass down the middle and you have to reverse if you meet an oncoming car, it certainly can't be a primary street! :)

Everybody has their own way of making the decision, but the satellite imagery and street view are pretty handy. I've upgraded some roads from street to primary street after driving along them and realising that they feel like a good R- road in terms of width, surface quality and traffic levels, and I've downgraded quite a few others after noticing that they're really narrow...

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by rolika78
Good Morning

I do use this script as well to identify any issues on the map.
Just a quick question for you guys, what you might answer from you experience.
How important is to fix all the Cul-de-sac "missing junction" at the end point and the "unconfirmed turn" at the end of the streets? As I slowly plowing towards bigger areas the picture getting worst and worst.
WME validator layer.jpg
(141.34 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
Are you fixing all the issues which are highlighted by the WME validator or you do have some priority list for the issues.
Don't get me wrong, I do not want to do a "half" job I'm just curious how you guys are managing these issues...

Thanks
rolika78
Send a message
Roland
[img]https:///pcdMH[/img] VW Polo https://images.spritmonitor.de/441781.png
HTC One

Post by rolika78
Hello David,

Again, thanks for the detailed answer!
I'll proceed with your recommendations. I do use the roadtypes as you described and as per the Wiki for Ireland.
I think the confusion is happening on the L-roads.
Sometimes you can see that some map editors put every LXXXX roads as primary roads even the ones which are not wide enough for my VW Polo... :D
I do tend to check the satellite layer and streetview just to check the width of the road and decide if I set it to "primary road" or leave it "street".
My own rule is that if I can see a painted center line on the road and it is wide enough, I set it to primary road.

Roland
rolika78
Send a message
Roland
[img]https:///pcdMH[/img] VW Polo https://images.spritmonitor.de/441781.png
HTC One

Post by stepbar
This is an excellent script that I use all the time. It quickly highlights issues with roads, segments, junctions and road naming. Highly recommended.
stepbar
Send a message