Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Pretty but pointless!

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Was looking to edit an obviously hit area with few roads and a few report. Then, on closed inspection, I see why there is little mapped:
PrettyClouds.jpg
No wonder I was going to have problems adding roads here!
(98.3 KiB) Downloaded 1035 times
No wonder I was going to have problems there!

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

POSTER_ID:16978106

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

The bing map/satellite image is nice and clear!
Is there a script that would allow imagery to be swapped by any chance.. :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Turn on pave and leave it on whilst you are there..! :D

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
CTCNetwork wrote:The bing map/satellite image is nice and clear!
Is there a script that would allow imagery to be swapped by any chance.. :)
I think such a script would be considered a little naughty. When the imagery switched from Bing to Google last year, we lost some good imagery in some areas, but we gained in other areas where there had been nearly no imagery before.

I have noticed new images turning up in a few places unannounced, and there's also this site for getting notified when new images turn up. I've been signed up for notifications in a couple of places and haven't had any notifications yet, however... :?

Finally, Pip mentioned a trick a while ago that I've used for mapping missing R- roads in Kerry: so long as you know roughly where a road is, you can use the street view in the editor for tracing where a road is; start viewing the road in street view, then draw a short road segment aligned with the arrow in the map, then move forward a little in street view, and extend your road segment, continuing to align with the arrow. I managed to do about 16km - including side roads - using this method in about 40 minutes. Then, a week later, satellite images showed up anyway... However, this confirmed that the method had worked pretty well, because the new road lined up with the satellite images pretty well.

Not sure how well this method would work with city/town streets that are close together, however...

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
dmeehan wrote:Here's another example of cloud cover, this one is in Listowel, Co. Kerry.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... 25&env=row
Ahem - yes, that's why I only mapped half of Listowel back in January - I don't know it well enough to guess at where the roads are under the clouds :)

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by dmeehan
Here's another example of cloud cover, this one is in Listowel, Co. Kerry.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... 25&env=row
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dmeehan
I might be able to get up to Listowel sometime in the next few weeks
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
That would be the sweetest of the sweet things! but probably will happen 'soon' ;)
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
davidg666 wrote:Not sure how well this method would work with city/town streets that are close together, however...
It doesn't :(

I'm not sure what google are playing at with the Sat images, up here in the North they seem to be bouncing about constantly, it's rather like being in a very dodgy Sci-fi about time travel...
seriousarsonist
Send a message