Estates

Post by seriousarsonist
Yo ho!

Naming estates, should the word estate be used?

For instance, 'The Tully Estate', should it be named Tully Estate or just Tully?

Pip
seriousarsonist

POSTER_ID:10802295

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Ireland does have a unique way of developing and then naming streets. It can be confusing to the uninitiated to say the least.

I would not use the word "Estate" as Pip says except and only where it is actually part of the name.

I have, so far, left streets either red and un named or named them where I can find a name. I would add the city name and have no street name but convention here in Ireland seems to be different. At least with the city added it helps to properly define the city area and map polygon for the city..

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,
davidg666 wrote:Speaking of city polygons: are you editing around Ennis at the moment? The polygon there looks a good deal larger than the town itself - although that's probably why it's one of the few names visible on the Live Map when zoomed out :)

++David
I have indeed and just had a reccie there. I suspect that the N85 and Drumcliffe Rd have skewed thing a little. I have added the correct start on the N85 but there are no signs for Welcome to... on Drumcliffe Rd so have zapped it. Things should be better when I have done a little more work there.. :)
Quite a few missing roads (well, tracks!) to add so I'm concentrating on that when editing.. ;)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Currently working around Ennis to correctly locate the town and to update some of the outer lying villages/hamlets. Missing road signs don't help though.. :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hullo Pip!
seriousarsonist wrote:Naming estates, should the word estate be used?

For instance, 'The Tully Estate', should it be named Tully Estate or just Tully?
In my opinion (this is just my opinion; there may be others, although this seems to be the convention we've adopted so far...) the word estate should not be used, unless "Estate" is actually part of the name of the estate and appears on signs for that estate (where they exist...) - there are a couple of these around, but not many.

What's the UK convention for housing estates?

My reasoning behind my opinion is that (unless it's actually part of the estate name) the word "estate" is never used in the postal address of houses in the estate.

On a related tangent, there seem to be quite a lot of estates subdivided into sections named after common things like types of tree - so you get one estate and then lots of sub-parts named "The Oaks", "The Elms", "The Chestnuts", "The Baobabs" (I made the last one up :) ) - so you end up with duplicate street names all over the place - although thankfully rarely in the same town.

For this kind of estate, I usually give the entrance road into the estate the name of the estate, and then the streets within the estate the name of the part of the estate.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
seriousarsonist wrote:I don't think there is a convention as such for the UK, I couldn't find one if there is. Mostly estates have named roads (or ways, or walks, or something else) so you don't need to use the name of the estate at all. Well up here in the North is that way anyway, maybe Des or another lurker will be able to shed some light on the rest of the UK. As that is the case, if I needed too, I would treat the estate like a suburb or draw a landmark for it, depending on size, although I have refrained from doing this as I think it looks very messy on the map.
I certainly wouldn't like landmarks to cover estates!
seriousarsonist wrote:so back to down here, if the sign says just 'whatever' with no estate added but the postal address would be 'whatever estate' or it would be locally known as 'whatever estate' what would take precedence?
The postal address would usually be just "181 Whatever, Sometown", or sometimes "181 The PInes, Whatever, Sometown", depending on how it's subdivided. Just in the very rare case that "Estate" is part of the name would it also be part of the postal address.

In conversation, people would say something "I live in the Whatever estate", but still wouldn't use the word "Estate" when stating their postal address - and if searching for an address, nobody would use that word either.
seriousarsonist wrote:I'm only asking as you lot don't seem to want to name any roads :lol:
Ahem! :P There do seem to be some people who can't be bothered to work out the names of roads, but that annoys me a little. I do mark small residential roads as "no name" when I really can't find the name of the road, using either Street View or the OSI maps or whatever other resource I can find, but doing that is a last resort. I prefer to name roads as I create them if at all possible - and I suppose it is possible that some roads just don't have a name - which, I guess, is why we use townland names for road names (for streets and primary streets only) in country areas.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
seriousarsonist wrote:
davidg666 wrote:Ahem! :P There do seem to be some people who can't be bothered to work out the names of roads, but that annoys me a little.
Guilty as charged m'lud :oops: I do try and name as many roads that I can possibly identify... and in my defence, yer 'oner, I get rather confused with the townland names, I do try, honest I do!
Sorry Pip, I should've used more smileys :D - what I wrote wasn't intended to sound like a lecture!

++D
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
CTCNetwork wrote:Ireland does have a unique way of developing and then naming streets. It can be confusing to the uninitiated to say the least.
I think some editors prefer to map out all the streets visually and then come back later to add the names. I have no problem with this so long as the names get added eventually. At least with unnamed roads there there's something for people to drive on and for Waze to build up speed data.
CTCNetwork wrote:I have, so far, left streets either red and un named or named them where I can find a name. I would add the city name and have no street name but convention here in Ireland seems to be different. At least with the city added it helps to properly define the city area and map polygon for the city..
I think the main problem with having the city name and no street name is that it's not visually obvious (without using the Colour Highlighter extension) which streets are missing their names - but it certainly makes the map look more complete, and, as you say, defines the city polygon better.

Speaking of city polygons: are you editing around Ennis at the moment? The polygon there looks a good deal larger than the town itself - although that's probably why it's one of the few names visible on the Live Map when zoomed out :)

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Hey ++David!

I don't think there is a convention as such for the UK, I couldn't find one if there is. Mostly estates have named roads (or ways, or walks, or something else) so you don't need to use the name of the estate at all. Well up here in the North is that way anyway, maybe Des or another lurker will be able to shed some light on the rest of the UK. As that is the case, if I needed too, I would treat the estate like a suburb or draw a landmark for it, depending on size, although I have refrained from doing this as I think it looks very messy on the map.

so back to down here, if the sign says just 'whatever' with no estate added but the postal address would be 'whatever estate' or it would be locally known as 'whatever estate' what would take precedence? I'm only asking as you lot don't seem to want to name any roads :lol:

Pip
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
davidg666 wrote:The postal address would usually be just "181 Whatever, Sometown", or sometimes "181 The PInes, Whatever, Sometown", depending on how it's subdivided. Just in the very rare case that "Estate" is part of the name would it also be part of the postal address.

In conversation, people would say something "I live in the Whatever estate", but still wouldn't use the word "Estate" when stating their postal address - and if searching for an address, nobody would use that word either.
Good point! just the whatever it shall be, unless it has estate bolted on...
davidg666 wrote:Ahem! :P There do seem to be some people who can't be bothered to work out the names of roads, but that annoys me a little. I do mark small residential roads as "no name" when I really can't find the name of the road, using either Street View or the OSI maps or whatever other resource I can find, but doing that is a last resort. I prefer to name roads as I create them if at all possible - and I suppose it is possible that some roads just don't have a name - which, I guess, is why we use townland names for road names (for streets and primary streets only) in country areas.
Guilty as charged m'lud :oops: I do try and name as many roads that I can possibly identify... and in my defence, yer 'oner, I get rather confused with the townland names, I do try, honest I do!

Pip
seriousarsonist
Send a message