Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Source for "L" Road Numbers

Post by dmeehan
Is there somewhere where we can find a definitive list for the road numbers for local "L" roads. :?:

This would be a nice addition to have especially where you don't know the road name, or if it even has a name.

A lot of these L roads are now signposted from national roads, but apart from that I cannot find where these roads numbers are listed.
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:193211

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

I have found that "sometimes" there is actually a direction sign that has the details AND they are correct - seemingly!

Open streetmaps can be good but it it edited by folk like us - volunteers so is technically not an official source of data. OS.ie can sometimes have the correct info. But sometime it is also wildly inaccurate! :)

It would help if google didn't obscure the street signs or, as I found in one case, people didn't stand infront of them as the google car drove past.. :D

Have a heart for our friends in Germany where google has removed virtually all streetview data as it could not cope with the number of requests to hide peoples houses.. :)

Des. . . :)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Unofficial I would say. Much like google maps. Use it as an additional point of reference to "official" sources.

The L roads do show up, but it depends on the your zoom level. Give it a try on Ennis and have a look around at each zoomed in level. The L roads eventually show up.
or log in (if registered as an editor) and select a road.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
dmeehan wrote:Is there somewhere where we can find a definitive list for the road numbers for local "L" roads. This would be a nice addition to have especially where you don't know the road name, or if it even has a name.
Good question ... I usually add the L-road number whenever there's a sign at the start of the road, either visible as I pass the road in person or when it's visible in Street View (although this is several years out of date). I think it's especially useful to have the road number in Waze when there's a sign there, because being told to "turn left onto L1014" where there's a sign saying "L1014" is very handy.

I don't know of any definitive list though - the L-road numbers aren't unique across the country, so I imagine every county council has their own independent list.

The one thing we shouldn't do is copy L-road numbers from Google Maps or similar - having said that, I have to wonder where *they* get their list...

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
dmeehan wrote:Google maps updated the L number to the road outside my House shortly after I added the street number in Waze. Coincidence?
You're not the first person to wonder that :)

I guess since Google own Waze they can use anything they want from Waze's map data (they already use traffic information from Waze) - although if I was Google I'd want to check it against something official. That said, some of the road names in Google are awful, so maybe they're not that fussy after all!
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
CTCNetwork wrote:Open streetmaps can be good but it it edited by folk like us - volunteers so is technically not an official source of data. OS.ie can sometimes have the correct info. But sometime it is also wildly inaccurate! :)
Surely OpenStreetMap isn't a valid source of street name/number data - not because of any inaccuracy, but because we don't have rights to use the data?

I like to use OSI, although I haven't seen L-route numbers on their maps.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
CTCNetwork wrote:The L roads do show up, but it depends on the your zoom level. Give it a try on Ennis and have a look around at each zoomed in level. The L roads eventually show up.
or log in (if registered as an editor) and select a road.
Aha - my apologies; I misunderstood you - I thought you were saying that the Ordnance Survey online maps had L-road numbers, not the OpenStreetMap maps. I see the L-numbers there alright - but I still don't think we should copy numbers from their maps. I go by the signs the county councils put up at the ends of roads (seen either in person or using Street View, but the SV images are all a few years old by now, and some counties - such as Wexford - have put up a lot of signs since the SV images were made)

In any case, having L-road numbers on Waze road segments is probably most useful when there are signs in place, since they give visual confirmation to the driver that the road Waze is telling them to turn onto is the correct road.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by dmeehan
Google maps updated the L number to the road outside my House shortly after I added the street number in Waze. Coincidence?
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dmeehan
Des, what are the official sources?
dmeehan
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message