Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Road Shields

Post by davidg666
Timbones wrote:If you let me know what patterns of road names you have (e.g. Nxx, Rxx, etc) and how you would like them to look, then I can push this through to Waze. Be aware that Waze can't match shields to segment types, only road names.
Luckily our road names (for numbered roads) and road types match already, so there's no need to match based on segment types.

Anyway, this page describes our road naming/typing policy, however I suppose from the point of view of shields we just want them for more major roads. What have you got in the UK? A summary of what we'd like would be:

1. Motorways: just like the UK, segments are always named Mx or Mxx followed by a space and then the cardinal direction (but no parentheses like the UK) - examples: "M6 W" or "M18 N". LIke UK signs, these would usually have white letters on a blue background. In any case, the pattern to match would be road names that start with "M" followed by one or two digits.

2. National primary and national secondary routes: probably equivalent to A- roads in the UK; sometimes dual carriageways and sometimes two-way roads. Named like motorways but with an optional name appended, with a cardinal direction for dual carriageway segments. Examples: "N11 N", "N6 E", "N71", "N31 Mount Merrion Ave". The pattern would be an "N" followed by one or two digits. On signs, these would appear with yellow letters on a green background.

3. Regional roads: probably equivalent to lesser A- roads and B- roads in the UK. Occasionally dual carriageway. Always named with an "R" followed by three digits (and a cardinal direction for dual carriageways), with an optional name appended. Examples: "R755", "R113 Leopardstown Rd", "R138 N". On signs, appears with black letters on a white background, or, on newer signs, with black letters on a yellow background.

4. Most other roads are either unclassified or identified with an "L" and a four- or five-digit number. I don't think these should have shields anyway.

For all of the above, my own opinion (there may be other opinions, but if there are then I challenge them to show up here in the forum and state them :) ) - is that the shield should comprise a rectangle with a black border containing the letter and number (eg "M50", "N21" or "R432"). The colour of the text and the background colour of the rectangle should match the colour normally seen on road signs (so the colours mentioned above).

Is this all the information Waze would need?

thanks for your help!

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:5008722

Send a message
Last edited by Timbones on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from UK Waze Meetup thread
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

You may need to do a data refresh of your phone to get the full effect. ;)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Tim,
Timbones wrote:Thank you David, I'll work on getting this information over to Waze. I've also split this into a new thread.
  • Mx or Mxx - white on blue
  • Nx or Nxx - yellow on green
  • Rxxx - black on white
Thank you - much appreciated!
Timbones wrote:We can't have yellow on green, because there's no distinction between highway types
Do you mean that you can't have yellow on green in the UK because you have two different road types that have different road segment types but similar names, and Waze can only differentiate for shields based on naming pattern?

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Pip,
seriousarsonist wrote:PS. David, can you have a look at North Monaghan for me, let me know if I've got the new bits right(ish)? thanks
Will do; give me a day or two and I should have a chance!

++David \ davodg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
'morning Pip,
seriousarsonist wrote:PS. David, can you have a look at North Monaghan for me, let me know if I've got the new bits right(ish)? thanks
I wasn't quite sure where to look in Monaghan, but I saw your name on a lot of segments :)

Anyway, it all looks good to me! Just a couple of things I saw in passing:

1. There are a few minor roads with L5 locks. Did you mention something in another thread about having to lock some roads because of some misguided editors?
2. Around Monaghan town there are a lot of roads with no street name - I know adding names is a big job though...
3. Some places (such as Ballybay, although this is a bit further south) have no roads below R- roads and these aren't very well aligned (although I imagine they were created when the satellite imagery was a lot worse than it is now).

Keep up the good work - and thanks for looking out for us at the UK meetup too!

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Pip,
seriousarsonist wrote:As per our PM convo,

[image snipped]

Runway is the yellow cross and the railway is the Bangor Line running along side of the A2
I believe you now - or, at least, I believe that you were able to see runways and railways in the client :)

When I looked with my client locally, up at Belfast and across at York, I didn't see a single railway line :(

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Good news everybody: as you may already have noticed, road shields have started showing up here this morning for motorways, N- roads and R- roads.

Timbones: thank you for arranging this with Waze HQ!

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Timbones wrote:Ah good. I don't seem to be able to see them from here.
Oddly, I wasn't able to see the UK road shields either when I tried to see what they looked on my phone from here.

The shields here only started to show up yesterday when new tiles were downloaded.
Timbones wrote:Are they to your liking?
Oh yes! I wasn't expecting the little motorway symbol on the shields for motorways; this is a nice touch.

My only complaint (if you can call it that :) ) is with the shields for N- roads, which should have a green background with yellow text (Google Maps seems to have it right though). In Waze they look like a teal or turquoise background with white text.

This photo from Wikipedia or this one gives a good idea of what the colour should be like for N- road shields.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Timbones wrote:You get chopsticks? No fair!
Is *that* what you call them!? :)
Timbones wrote:Can you post a screenshot showing M and N roads, and I'll see if I can get them to tweak the colours...
Yep; here we go - the N31 here shows the N-road shield:
M50-N31.PNG
(132.8 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
dmeehan wrote:I dont have them either?

Do you need to select a specific overlay to ge the road shields?
No - for me they just showed up the other morning when I routed myself to work as usual.

I did notice that day that when I panned to other areas that I hadn't just routed through there were no shields in those areas. Advanced->Data Transfer->Refresh map of my area took care of that though, so now shields are showing up everywhere.

I did notice one R- road not showing shields yesterday evening (I think), but this was in a remote area, so maybe tiles for the have to have been recently generated - so check with a recently-edited area.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message