Road Shields

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Road Shields

Postby davidg666 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:03 pm

Timbones wrote:If you let me know what patterns of road names you have (e.g. Nxx, Rxx, etc) and how you would like them to look, then I can push this through to Waze. Be aware that Waze can't match shields to segment types, only road names.

Luckily our road names (for numbered roads) and road types match already, so there's no need to match based on segment types.

Anyway, this page describes our road naming/typing policy, however I suppose from the point of view of shields we just want them for more major roads. What have you got in the UK? A summary of what we'd like would be:

1. Motorways: just like the UK, segments are always named Mx or Mxx followed by a space and then the cardinal direction (but no parentheses like the UK) - examples: "M6 W" or "M18 N". LIke UK signs, these would usually have white letters on a blue background. In any case, the pattern to match would be road names that start with "M" followed by one or two digits.

2. National primary and national secondary routes: probably equivalent to A- roads in the UK; sometimes dual carriageways and sometimes two-way roads. Named like motorways but with an optional name appended, with a cardinal direction for dual carriageway segments. Examples: "N11 N", "N6 E", "N71", "N31 Mount Merrion Ave". The pattern would be an "N" followed by one or two digits. On signs, these would appear with yellow letters on a green background.

3. Regional roads: probably equivalent to lesser A- roads and B- roads in the UK. Occasionally dual carriageway. Always named with an "R" followed by three digits (and a cardinal direction for dual carriageways), with an optional name appended. Examples: "R755", "R113 Leopardstown Rd", "R138 N". On signs, appears with black letters on a white background, or, on newer signs, with black letters on a yellow background.

4. Most other roads are either unclassified or identified with an "L" and a four- or five-digit number. I don't think these should have shields anyway.

For all of the above, my own opinion (there may be other opinions, but if there are then I challenge them to show up here in the forum and state them :) ) - is that the shield should comprise a rectangle with a black border containing the letter and number (eg "M50", "N21" or "R432"). The colour of the text and the background colour of the rectangle should match the colour normally seen on road signs (so the colours mentioned above).

Is this all the information Waze would need?

thanks for your help!

++David \ davidg666
Last edited by Timbones on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from UK Waze Meetup thread
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: Road Shields

Postby Timbones » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:57 pm

Thank you David, I'll work on getting this information over to Waze. I've also split this into a new thread.

• Mx or Mxx - white on blue
  • Nx or Nxx - yellow on green
  • Rxxx - black on white
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Timbones » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:10 pm

PS: here's what they'd look like in the client.

Screenshot_2014-06-27-10-29-51.png
UK Road Shields
(119.04 KiB) Downloaded 811 times

We can't have yellow on green, because there's no distinction between highway types :(
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby davidg666 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi Tim,
Timbones wrote:Thank you David, I'll work on getting this information over to Waze. I've also split this into a new thread.

• Mx or Mxx - white on blue
  • Nx or Nxx - yellow on green
  • Rxxx - black on white

Thank you - much appreciated!

Timbones wrote:We can't have yellow on green, because there's no distinction between highway types

Do you mean that you can't have yellow on green in the UK because you have two different road types that have different road segment types but similar names, and Waze can only differentiate for shields based on naming pattern?

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby theMadcabbie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:19 pm

I know we have recently discussed this, but today I'm noticing a lot of road shields have changed again since the last update.

There appears to be a good mix of shields with the letter missing.

However these were correct last week - example A34 north and south through Newbury are now mixed with correct and incorrect shields.

KR

Mark
Mark
theMadcabbie
Hungerford's Top Taxi Company

[ img ][ img ] [ img ]

AM for Thames Valley / Sierra Leone & Ghana / Isle of Man / Shetlands and Outer Scottish Islands :evil:

waze@hungerford-cabs.co.uk
theMadcabbie

Postby Timbones » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:36 pm

davidg666 wrote:
Timbones wrote:We can't have yellow on green, because there's no distinction between highway types

Do you mean that you can't have yellow on green in the UK because you have two different road types that have different road segment types but similar names, and Waze can only differentiate for shields based on naming pattern?

Yes, that. It'll be no problem for you in Ireland, because you have different names.
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby seriousarsonist » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:43 pm

sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but, if we move the UK major type to PRN can we then have a different colour shield?

Pip

PS. David, can you have a look at North Monaghan for me, let me know if I've got the new bits right(ish)? thanks
[ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland [ img ] [ img ]

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby Timbones » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:20 am

seriousarsonist wrote:sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but, if we move the UK major type to PRN can we then have a different colour shield?

Sadly not, despite asking many times.
It's odd, because the Livemap already distinguishes between the two types of highway.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby davidg666 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:58 am

Hi Pip,
seriousarsonist wrote:PS. David, can you have a look at North Monaghan for me, let me know if I've got the new bits right(ish)? thanks

Will do; give me a day or two and I should have a chance!

++David \ davodg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby davidg666 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:47 am

'morning Pip,
seriousarsonist wrote:PS. David, can you have a look at North Monaghan for me, let me know if I've got the new bits right(ish)? thanks

I wasn't quite sure where to look in Monaghan, but I saw your name on a lot of segments :)

Anyway, it all looks good to me! Just a couple of things I saw in passing:

1. There are a few minor roads with L5 locks. Did you mention something in another thread about having to lock some roads because of some misguided editors?
2. Around Monaghan town there are a lot of roads with no street name - I know adding names is a big job though...
3. Some places (such as Ballybay, although this is a bit further south) have no roads below R- roads and these aren't very well aligned (although I imagine they were created when the satellite imagery was a lot worse than it is now).

Keep up the good work - and thanks for looking out for us at the UK meetup too!

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Next

Return to Ireland