mapping on-street tram lines (Luas)

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

mapping on-street tram lines (Luas)

Postby davidg666 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:16 am

A question for other editors:

We currently have all of the green Luas line and parts of the red Luas line mapped as railway lines. They aren't currently visible in the app, but they are visible in the live map. I believe the display in the app will be changing at some point in the future to show railway lines, so they should show up then.

However, where on-street tram lines are mapped (mostly around Dublin city centre) I think it looks a bit cluttered and the actual road segments have mostly been moved aside slightly to fit them in. In both the editor and in the live map, it looks somewhat messy.

I propose removing railroad segments for tram lines where the tram lines run along actual streets, and just having the tram line sections that run off road (most of the southern end of the green Luas line, for example, and much of the southern sections of the red line, but not the city-centre sections of either line). Where tram lines run on actual streets, they're logically no different to bus lanes, and they're sharing much of the same road space as other traffic.

What do other editors think? I won't do anything for a few days to give people a chance to see this thread and comment if they have an opinion.

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: mapping on-street tram lines (Luas)

Postby seriousarsonist » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:45 am

I think I would be for that change purely for the look of it on the map, if they are on a road then they are as you said already mapped as they are technically the same as bus lanes.

Pip
[ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK Champ and Area Manager for the North of the Island of Ireland [ img ] [ img ]

Comber WX: What the weather is like where I edit
seriousarsonist

Postby helvete666 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:11 am

You could honestly in my opinion take out all the tram/rail lines and just leave in the Stations as landmarks, as a driver who sometimes needs to go to certain train station(s), I just need to find the station when I input it to search not how to get from one stop to another.
helvete666

Postby davidg666 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:13 am

helvete666 wrote:You could honestly in my opinion take out all the tram/rail lines and just leave in the Stations as landmarks, as a driver who sometimes needs to go to certain train station(s), I just need to find the station when I input it to search not how to get from one stop to another.

I'm inclined to leave the off-road tram lines in because they'll be a useful visual aid (like rivers or parks) on the screen when the phone starts to show them on screen - like the live map does already.

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby CTCNetwork » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi,

Road trams - a no-go. We have them in Nottingham (and a major inconvenience they are too!) but only map the routes that are not on roads.

Map those off road bits? Yes, because someone will so best to have them done properly and locked to an appropriate level. :)

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby davidg666 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Alright, I've removed all the on-street sections of tram line around Dublin city centre, but left any off-street sections.

Even though rail lines aren't (yet) visible in the app, I think the map looks cleaner already :)

++David \ davidg666

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Return to Ireland