Staff communication with community is broken

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Staff communication with community is broken

Postby top_gun_de » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:50 am

@Dwarflord, well spoken. Now, if kpi #3 is already measured, and the staff-conclusion is as simple as "we need to extend autopromotion", then it's also clear that somebody at staff is not always ending up with optimal conclusions. And that's why I am very thankful to Iain for his open letter.

Best,

Fetlev

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
AM Region Hannover, CM Deutschland (Germany), Coordinator Germany, Global Champ

Wiki Deutschland | Straßen und Orte benennen D | Karte bearbeiten | Editorbedienung
top_gun_de
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby top_gun_de » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Guys, as was announced by Shirli, this week will be a meetup where staff goes over the aggregated issues.

To the country-coordinators: Send your summary to your community manager asap. I just did and am anxious to read the response. I won't post it here, because it contains fresh conflicts that my community is not yet aware of, and which need to be settled in one direction or the other so each team-member can decide if he wants to continue to edit.

Best,

Detlev

Wiki Deutschland | Straßen und Orte benennen D | Karte bearbeiten | Editorbedienung
top_gun_de
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby top_gun_de » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:04 am

Iain, you hit the nail on the head. I hope you send a link to this thread to your respective community manager, otherwise it will get lost.

top_gun_de
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby starmandpc » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:18 pm

blakviper wrote:Iain,
I couldn't agree ore with you, I too felt desillutionated by Waze earlier. I began editing in 2011, became country coordinator, Local Champ, country manager, etc, etc, etc.

I left all behind, I do edit every now and then, not as before, but whenever I want.

All of the sudden I felt like they (Waze) were demanding me to spend more time on the forums and other things (that's why I never looked forward to be a Global Champ) until they made me choose between getting more involved or quit been a coordinator. That's when I said no more, this is something that's supposed to be fun and something that you do in your free time... Why, because one just likes doing it, it has never been about money or something else.

So I made my mind and left.

Do I miss been involved? I do, but never the less I believe it was something I had to do.

Great post man, I agree with you, best of lucks.....

Blakviper

This is exactly how I feel, Waze wanted to participate more in the forums as if that corrected the maps automatically, the champs used Hangout to agree on how to proceed with the problems and solutions of the system, but to forcefully request the participation in the forums as if I were an employee is not acceptable.

Enough had to be dealing with a particular champ who always opposed the proposals we made as a group and all for lack of criteria of this person and also have to meet a Waze agenda? NO GRACIAS!

Currently I continue to correct the map based on the rules and needs of my city and roads that I commute daily.
Saludos
Fernando Gamboa
Country Manager
ImageImage
iPhone 6 plus, iOS 9.0
starmandpc
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SkiDooGuy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:16 pm

I would love to believe you Shirli, I really would.

But this issue has been brought up SO MANY times over the years in various capacities. You know how many times it's changed?

If you guessed more than 0 you're off by however many you guessed. It may have improved for tiny amounts for very short periods, but it always settles back to the same issues.

That is part of the reason I left my position as a Champ. There is simply no point to me giving up so much of my free time when there are Waze employees PAID to communicate with us. Yet it never happens.

Don't get me wrong, Irad was absolutely outstanding at answering our emails and questions when directed to him. But the forums, which are our main communication platform provided by you guys, remain quite.

I see versions of WME go by with no changelogs, updates, or issues fixed.

So I genuinely ask you, why should I spend so much of my time doing this when Waze continues to make it obvious they don't care if I am here or not?

The only reason I stayed as long as I did is my love of the community. The Great Lakes Region and Michigan especially has the best community I have ever seen for a hobby. The Champ's, SM's, AM's and editors work together seamlessly and turn out a excellent product for YOUR users. I cannot tell you how many times editors enter or ask for closures on roads for construction or accidents at all times of day and night.

And your repayment is to break the tools they use to make that happen.

I am sorry for the general negativity of this post, but I certainly didn't resign my position because of the excellence of service.

I am appreciative for all the fun over the years and the opportunities I gained through Waze, and hope it improves for those that follow me.

-Bruce
Champ: USA, Canada
Country Manager: USA, Canada, Palau
SkiDooGuy
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby shmupi » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Nomenclator1677 wrote:I totally agree on what you said so well, Iain!

Each of us could see the cup half full or half empty empty. For me me, it is always better to see it half full
+1

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Israel Coordinator & Community Leader & GC
Country Manager : Israel, Jordan, Thailand, Romania
Resolved Update Requests : 185K

shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby shmupi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:16 pm

Totally agree with you words Levin.

This proves once again how much the product team is disconnected from the community.

I've been saying this for 6 years now....

Till the product team will not start listening to the community ...for real. It will be just frustration gaining and gaining...

The guidance that the product team receives and has received from day 1 from Waze management it's not to listen to community...just do your thing and implement your ideas.

Well ....this situation and this attitude need to change ASAP

Thanks,
Shmupi

shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby shmupi » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:21 pm

Well done.

I hope this time we will see facts and not only words.

There is already a big improvement regarding the attitude to the community scripts...so I'm optimistic.

Thank you,
Shmupi

shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby shmupi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:15 am

Totally agree with all !!!

I think editing count dropped more than 25% after the last WME release and with it all the scripts were broken. In the past we got a promise from Ohad Ron that they can't promise not to brake things but they do promise to help the community in fixing them.

It's just not fun to edit anymore....I'll put it that way.

:(

Shmupi

shmupi
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby shirlig » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

I’d like to start by thanking everyone for their patience and for keeping the discussion in this thread productive and respectful.

As you know, the team and I took these days to evaluate our existing flows and communication with the community. While everyone on the team is passionate about the community and works very hard to empower, communicate, and collaborate - it has become very clear that some things must change and improve. Also, many flows need to be adjusted or clarified.

I wish it wouldn’t have come to such negative feelings, however, I’m glad that at the end of the day it has been brought up and I must thank Iain, as well as other communities and community members, who expressed their pains in a clear and constructive way.

I’d like to share with you a few initial decisions we’ve taken. Of course this will be an ongoing process. We have more plans that need to be developed, and we will continue this discussion as we go.

Different concerns have been brought to our attention. I’ll address a few of them directly, but I think we can all agree that the main pain points lie in the area of communication and transparency.

Existing communication channels and expected changes:
Direct Access:
This is a channel for Global Champs to contact the team directly regarding any issue and get a direct response.
We understand that this channel was not always managed regularly and we intend to reorganize it and commit to our presence and responsiveness there.
What’s changing? More sections will be added to the Direct Access forum to address different kind of topics such as routing, search client, WME etc. Each section will be handled by a different team member who will be responsible for providing the answers. ETA: Beginning of Q1 2017.

To set expectations:
  • This forum is question & answer oriented, rather than a discussion one.
  • We are committed to review these forums daily (during working days) and provide timely response.
  • We will keep you informed about the progress of our verifications and results but we cannot commit to exact response timeframes and for dev/product response or solution.
  • Transparency ≠ Saying “yes”. “No”/”not planned”/”not a priority” is, at times, also a possible answer.
  • This is not an SOS channel.

Emails to the Community Manager:
A channel for coordinators to communicate directly with their community manager, ask questions, bring up different issues and escalate local issues. Please note that it is preferable to use the Direct Access for issues that can be relevant for more communities.
No specific changes expected here. However, if you feel that there’s an issue that needs to be addressed, please let me know.

SOS mail
  • Inbox for urgent issues only
  • Reaches the IFS team directly
  • Monitored 24/7

How do we define 'Urgent issues'? Critical malfunction which affects a significant number of users experiencing a degradation of service availability, or functionality of the service.
For example: downtimes, routing not available, search not available, WME is down, Suspected damage to the map that need to be immediately stopped/blocked, etc.

• IFS team receives an e-mail and handles the problem reported ASAP.
  • A community manager responds to the reporting champ(s) and update about the status and progress. Please note that our priority is to fix the reported issue and the communication will be done as soon as possible, but may be slower outside of working hours.
What’s changing? Today we are not doing a very good job updating the status page with these issues. We are aware of this and started working with the IFS team to improve this process and automate parts of it. ETA: End of Q1 2017.

Don’t have an sos@waze.com permissions? Contact your Community Manager. (GC’s ONLY)

WME
Today, most of the communication happens in the WME beta forum.
Expected changes:
  • The communication will not be limited to the beta. We will also announce version releases on the general WME forum. ETA: Early Q1 2017
  • We will define a clear community release process and share it with the community to make it easier to understand the status of the version, bugs, requests etc. ETA: Mid Q1 2017
Scripts: copying the relevant part from delilush’s post a few weeks back:
we don't currently have the dev resources required to open an API and maintain it, we definitely want to find a way to help our script writers in preserving important scripts.
Here are a few solutions we came up with, together with our devs (ETA: already in place):
  • The beta is a great opportunity for the community to detect issues with scripts and report them before they go to production. We will work with the dev team and do our best to fix the problem before releasing a version to a wide base of editors.
  • It is important that you check your scripts and report issues as part of the beta testing. After the beta release, if you notice that scripts are broken send us the details of where the error occurs.
  • If the devs are aware of a potential "script breaker" for an upcoming beta version, we will let you know about those changes with the technical information we have, together with the release. That being said, not in every case can we predict where scripts might break.

CAR Form - Community Action Requests.
The place request upgrades, blocks, bans and more.
No specific changes expected here

Waze White Papers (WWP)
Topics which need official answers/process. For now, these are held in the GC forum. Find more information about White Papers here.
We encourage you to contact your community managers to discuss WWPs you’d like to see created.

We hope you feel these changes address your major concerns. As we mentioned, this is a work in progress and we value your input and feedback.

Thanks,
Shirli
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General