Fastest/shortest route option

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Fastest/shortest route option

Postby jebby7 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 pm

I have a route I use regularly and have Waze running for route info delays, like roadworks, etc. I used to be able to pick the shortest route and now Waze only gives me three different longer routes.
As can be seen from the screenshot the fastest is 2 hours 44 and 105 miles. The (shortest) route I normally take is no longer even offered. BUT, Google Maps still shows it (98 miles ; 2 hours 26).
If Google run Waze these days, why can't I get the same route offered on Waze?
Attachments
resize_Screenshot_2018-01-29-21-30-15.png
(72.13 KiB) Downloaded 1099 times
resize_Screenshot_2018-01-29-21-31-14.jpg
(92.35 KiB) Downloaded 1101 times
jebby7

Postby iainhouse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 pm

jebby7 wrote:If Google run Waze these days, why can't I get the same route offered on Waze?

Whilst Google own Waze, they don't run it. There is some data sharing between the two companies, but Google Maps are not Waze maps and the routing engine used by Google is not the routing engine used by Waze.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby jebby7 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 am

OK, I didn't know that. It's a shame, but I guess Waze is getting less usable with every update. Not to mention those annoying large pop-up adverts.
jebby7

Postby JeremyChewDino » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 am

Kinda sad top see this feature disappear. Found it particularly useful when i take uber & grab in Malaysioa when i'd prefer the shortest route for the cheapest fare. Nowadays I use Uber & Grab coupons to get discounts instead.
JeremyChewDino

Postby JB-ES » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:28 am

Not being able to choose the shortest route over the quickest has absolutely crippled Waze. It's now basically unusable.

If I am in a big city and am not bothered if I have to wait 4 extra minutes rather than driving 20km extra in a huge semicircle through difficult and often impassable small streets I am now not able to choose. The logic behind the routes suggested is 99.9% of the time ludicrous. This has now happened more times than I can recall and I have absolutely had enough if it.

I have actually wasted *hours* being sent around in circles because of the nonsense time saving that simply doesn't work. I will not be using Waze any more for navigation before this is addressed.
JB-ES

Postby georgenqueiroz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 am

iainhouse wrote:staff explained that an extremely small percentage of users ever chose the "shortest" option in the app. I can't remember what the figure was, but I'm sure it was well below 1%.

Well, the decision has been made, but I think one point could be considered: most users didn't even know that "shortest route" option existed.

If Waze asked them just after the installation what kind of route they would like to get, I'm pretty sure the number of users that would chose "shortest route" would be much higher than 1%.
George Queiroz

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
georgenqueiroz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby rsouzaprado » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

Now the only reason for me to use Waze is to ignore their provided path (always the dumbest) and to see radars, speed of the roads (in Brazil the signs are usually bad), etc. The app is becoming useless each update.
rsouzaprado

Postby renoel » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Just noticed that this very useful feature is now missing. How bizarre. To be reintroduced in a ‘premium’ version at a co$t ?
renoel

Postby georgenqueiroz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:49 pm

renoel wrote:Just noticed that this very useful feature is now missing. How bizarre. To be reintroduced in a ‘premium’ version at a co$t ?

I'm pretty sure Waze has no plan to charge for extra features.
George Queiroz

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
georgenqueiroz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby SwedishKiwi » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:54 am

I,too, am missing this feature. If the reasoning behind this change is correct, as it has been reported in this thread, it seems quite odd.

"Only a small fraction of the users ever used it."

So? Was there a need to free up screen estate in the app? No, there wasn't, and isn't. And if only a small fraction of the users ever used it, you can't say it was too much work for Waze's servers either.

I don't own an electric car (yet) and don't need to shorten my driving. But I very much appreciated the option to sometimes choose the shortest route. It was a way to experience new scenery, to see things I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Just set a destination somewhere random (but somewhat close to where we wanted to be) and then see what roads it took me through. It was fun for my family, too.

I'm guessing it was something that enhanced the Waze mapping system, too. As people were able to go on roads not usually driven on, they collected data that rarely should have been collected otherwise. And could fix errors that wouldn't have been noticed.

Now we're back to the fastest routes, i.e. most boring routes. Waze killed all the fun.

I will still use Waze, as it's good for everyday travel and helping others, but I will definitely use something else in order to actually enjoy my driving when not commuting to work or something similar.

/ Kiwi
SwedishKiwi

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General